Playing AI is making me a worse player

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Long_Bomb
Veteran
Veteran

Playing AI is making me a worse player

Post by Long_Bomb »

I am near the end of my second run through the Story mode on BB:LE and I've also been using the AI to play with new teams to try them out but now I have noticed I am making more and more stupid mistakes in regular games. I think all this time of playing against the computer has encouraged me to take risks and not think through my turns properly. Has anyone else noticed a negative impact on their game or does everyone else find it helps to develop there plays?

Reason: ''
inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Re: Playing AI is making me a worse player

Post by inkpwn »

Ditto. I keep takeing more risks. Mainly lots of 3+ dodges, but that could be because I don't feel the same attachement to players as I do in real life.

duckwing
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by duckwing »

inkpwn wrote:Ditto. I keep takeing more risks. Mainly lots of 3+ dodges, but that could be because I don't feel the same attachement to players as I do in real life.
Funny to consider a board game with metal miniatures as "real life" ;)

I did notice that I was beginning to take more risks and make my moves more on a whim after having played against the AI a while even when I met human opponents. I've since stopped playing the AI and only play online.

Praise Nuffle!
Long_Bomb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Long_Bomb »

That is nice to hear I was starting to think it was just me.

Piousman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Piousman »

I totally agree. A lot has to do with the fact that the AI is, in the end, stoopid. So you can afford doing stupid things yourself, knowing that you will probably get an opening later.

This bites you in online play.

- Piousman

just1234person
Rookie
Rookie

Post by just1234person »

I totally agree. I sometimes make 'stupid' moves or don't think as hard about thing as I should because I don't have any fear of the AI's ability to beat me. If I make a mistake, I know I can always just come back with a few turns of sound gameplay.

Plus, they never stall, so worst case, they just score and you get the ball again.

Wanchor
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wanchor »

I still play shrewdly against the AI, but mostly consider the Cyanide game only good for positioning and blocking practice. It helps me stay sharp between seasons as far as getting the most 2-die blocks is concerned.