Is Cyanide's BB PC game good for practicing the board game?

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

graeme27uk
Veteran
Veteran

Is Cyanide's BB PC game good for practicing the board game?

Post by graeme27uk »

Got the PC Game (ordered the Legendary edition as well) but is it good for practicing for the board game?

Reason: ''
Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: Is Cyanide's BB PC game good for practicing the board ga

Post by Darkson »

Quick, cancel your order - if you're getting the Legendry Edition, there's not need to get the original.

As for practise, depends on how you intend to use it. If you're going to play online, then yes it is, but be prepared for way more concession than you'll ever see on tabletop (or more likely, disconnections...). If you're going to play against the AI, it will probably make you a worse player, as the AI is awful.

If you do have to use the AI, set it to medium - best of the 3 levels.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
betterZthenDeaD
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by betterZthenDeaD »

Darkson wrote:If you're going to play against the AI, it will probably make you a worse player, as the AI is awful.

If you do have to use the AI, set it to medium - best of the 3 levels.
+1! With only one TT game under my belt I can't tell you how surprised I was when with one turn to go my opponent tried to score rather than run back towards his own half and start to 'cage-up'!!! :lol:

... I am joking by the way! :orc:

deanup
Rookie
Rookie

Post by deanup »

hi i am a mod on an open league FOL we ban cheats so that is the plce to play

as dakie said you only need le cancel the other order

playing standard on fol not bad

dean

Jani74
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Jani74 »

PC game is quite ok. Playability could be better, but it does what is needed.

My understanding of the game has improved with it. Our live BB matches tend to be quite slow and rare too. With Cyanide's game I have been able to play much more and much often than would have played without it.

Image Image Image
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Rookie? Yes, PC game can help you, so long as you're playing against real people (either online or TT alongside games vs AI). Playing the AI will build in bad habits, unless you're also facing real competition, in which case it'll boost your ego.

Veteran? Cyanide is great for playing around with theory, but FUMBBL has a much higher level of competition. (In fact, the best FUMBBL coaches are among the best coaches in the world.) Disconnects don't get your opponent out of the game, either, and if they dodge you the admins will help resolve it. There are also some (kind of soft) rules about when you can concede, too: it's pretty rare that somebody will concede with a viable team. Not unheard of (happened to me twice in 42 games), but rare.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
EastCoast
Veteran
Veteran

Post by EastCoast »

Since you have the Cyanide game on the way, you may want to take a look here: http://www.rmbbl.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=14

You can join up for the shark cage and schedule a match with a mentor for some tips. It's a very nice service provided by some friendly veteran coaches. Good luck, and welcome to the game

duttydave
Star Player
Star Player

Post by duttydave »

Fumbbl > Cyanide BB

Save yourself some cash and play on Fumbbl. It's free (you can donate towards running costs if you wish but there is no pressure). Fumbbl has ALL of the BB Teams too.

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

What Dave said.
FUMBBL going LRB6 has pretty much killed the cyanide bug fest for me.
If nothing else, being able to play the four extra teams is glorious. I'm loving the Underworld.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
WhatBall
Veteran
Veteran

Post by WhatBall »

FUMBBL is definitely the way to go.

Better game play, better coaches, better league structure. All in a moderated environment where you don't have to worry about cheats and disconnects. Christer is also busy overhauling the site and adding functionality, while Kalimar is still plugging away on the client, making it better and more complete. The same can't be said for Cyanide's game, which looks destined to remain buggy and flawed (and missing 4 teams) with little or no new patches.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I haven't tried FUMBBL in years (though I might start once my permanent night shifts kick in), but to be honest, the only thing the Cyanide version does better than the FUMBBL that I remember (LRB 3 and 4 iirc) was the graphics. If FUMBBL has been improved half as much as is claimed, it's probably a better way to go unless you don't have an opponent (and even then, you'll give yourself a tougher game than the AI will!).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
duttydave
Star Player
Star Player

Post by duttydave »

Darkson wrote:I haven't tried FUMBBL in years (though I might start once my permanent night shifts kick in), but to be honest, the only thing the Cyanide version does better than the FUMBBL that I remember (LRB 3 and 4 iirc) was the graphics. If FUMBBL has been improved half as much as is claimed, it's probably a better way to go unless you don't have an opponent (and even then, you'll give yourself a tougher game than the AI will!).
Be good to see you online Darkson. Check out the White Isle League and the WIBBL (Wight Island BB League). Fun leagues with decent coaches. You'll probably know the majority of them.

EastCoast
Veteran
Veteran

Post by EastCoast »

WhatBall wrote:FUMBBL is definitely the way to go.

Better game play, better coaches, better league structure. All in a moderated environment where you don't have to worry about cheats and disconnects. Christer is also busy overhauling the site and adding functionality, while Kalimar is still plugging away on the client, making it better and more complete. The same can't be said for Cyanide's game, which looks destined to remain buggy and flawed (and missing 4 teams) with little or no new patches.
Cyanide is a much better game if visualization is important to you. There's a reason people shell out money for their game when a free alternative is available.

The game play is a wash. In my experience, Cyanide has a friendlier community. You certainly can play in a moderated environment on Cyanide.

The bugs in the Cyanide game are completely overblown by the FUMBBL merchants, most of the ones they reference are from the LRB 5 version and not LE.

There is nothing wrong with being upset with the bugs, or the lack of Cyanide fixes when you pay for a game, but c'mon guys you make it sound like the game is unplayable. Not even close.

FUMBBL gives more stars, more teams, and is completely free. It has a lot going for it and is a solid choice for your Blood Bowl needs

Cyanide has much better graphics and offers some single player game play. It is a solid choice for your Blood Bowl needs

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

well said!

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

EastCoast wrote:The bugs in the Cyanide game are completely overblown by the FUMBBL merchants, most of the ones they reference are from the LRB 5 version and not LE.
I'm not a FUMBBL merchant, and I heartily disagree with this point. The bugs (and there are still ones in there reported in the CLOSED Beta testing for BB1) are in some cases, game-breakers.