Is Cyanide's BB PC game good for practicing the board game?

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

WhatBall
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Is Cyanide's BB PC game good for practicing the board ga

Post by WhatBall »

I won't comment on bugs, but I am hurt on the lack of love for FUMBBL graphics. :cry:

Seriously though, I think the graphics, for what they are (30x30 sprites), are quite decent. There are new fields that look better, and graphics will continue to be improved as there is time. Unfortunately the size limitation is what it is, but on a pixel by pixel basis fumbbl > cyanide for graphics. Looking at the lack of detail in the image maps for the Cyanide game I find the graphics overall a little weak. Yes, 3D does look nice (and hides a lot of shortcomings), but it could have been better (imo).

I prefer the icon-based game anyway, easier for me to identify and keep track of players. The 3D looks nice, but is harder to follow. I like the TT feel more.

@Darkson, looking forward to seeing you around. If you are playing in the UK on night shift I may be able to get in some games with you.

Reason: ''
EastCoast
Veteran
Veteran

Post by EastCoast »

WhatBall wrote: I prefer the icon-based game anyway, easier for me to identify and keep track of players. The 3D looks nice, but is harder to follow. I like the TT feel more.
Then it sounds like you've made a great choice to fulfill your Blood Bowl needs :)

For myself... well the graphics add a depth to the game that FUMBBL for all its strengths can't replicate for me.

The weekly newsletter I put out for my league complete with in game action shots:
http://www.cyanide-studio.com/forumBB/v ... 33&t=30761

WhatBall
Veteran
Veteran

Post by WhatBall »

Great work on the newsletter, an impressive effort. That is the kind of thing that really makes a league run well and keeps it enjoyable.

Back on graphics, if I may, even scaled down, you can still see the lack of detail in many of the image maps. I think they really rushed the newer ones as well. The image with the yellow bell above the downed player shows an insane amount of clipping too. That kind of thing really ruins it for me. Then again, maybe I'm just old and have a fondness for sprite-based games.

We'll have to agree to disagree I suppose. :D

Daht
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Daht »

I like both, tho since I am usually on the computer at work I can't commit to actual live games, so I mainly mess with cyanide.

Cyanide IMO is the better stand-alone video game experience, with the technical advantages, but if you are looking to learn better bloodbowl for tt, fummbl wins hands down, by having more teams and simpler structure for playmaking (you also don't misclick a blitx into a dodge-3-times-thru-a-tackle-zone move so much)

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

EastCoast wrote: FUMBBL gives more stars, more teams, and is completely free. It has a lot going for it and is a solid choice for your Blood Bowl needs
Cyanide has much better graphics and offers some single player game play. It is a solid choice for your Blood Bowl needs
Loved this point. Personally, gave the Cyanide a once-over and couldn't get into it. Have just started Fumbbl (4 years after actually signing up) and I absolutely love it. Slightly concerned about how I'm ever going to get anything done again though.

Having played only a few games the quality of my opponents has been slightly variable (I'm 4-0-2 so far, and one of the losses was my first game, and v ironick at that), but this does mirror the NAF tournament scene as well, so that's cool. One of my main areas of weakness is complacency when I perceive myself to be winning, so hopefully I'll manage to kick that out of myself with some more regular play.

Possibly this should have gone in a new thread...

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

sann0638 wrote: One of my main areas of weakness is complacency when I perceive myself to be winning, so hopefully I'll manage to kick that out of myself with some more regular play.
So not much complacency then........ :lol:

However, being a "regular" player on Cyanide's game i do enjoy the ease of access, However after reading the comments here im getting sold on the idea of FUMMBL....

WhatBall
Veteran
Veteran

Post by WhatBall »

glowworm wrote:
sann0638 wrote: One of my main areas of weakness is complacency when I perceive myself to be winning, so hopefully I'll manage to kick that out of myself with some more regular play.
So not much complacency then........ :lol:

However, being a "regular" player on Cyanide's game i do enjoy the ease of access, However after reading the comments here im getting sold on the idea of FUMMBL....
If you have any issues getting going drop me a PM. Should be straight forward though.

Hope to see you around.

On the comment about the quality of games, there has been an influx of new players (which is awesome), but it means the competition will vary for a while.

deanup
Rookie
Rookie

Post by deanup »

I think the key here is that FUMBBL and Cyanide both play a major part in keeping BB alive. Both have been developed by fans, some commercially some out of their pure devotion for the game.

The good news is you do not have to make a choice, you can have both.

They complement each other well and both do a great job of keeping the game going. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses.

If only we could get GW interested in their own IP, who knows I might buy something from them again.

Dean

PS Can I plug Forum Open League again, and if you do play there and have hassles PM me here or on the Cyanide site. We are getting a good level of completed games, and have banned quite a few 'nere do wells'. Whatever you do don't play unmoderated open leagues.

PPS Not that I am involved in it any more but Orca Coca Cola League is a good closed league and has run a few pdf mags, sadly my teams nvere did well enough to get a mention in any of them.

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

Played my first FUMMBL match last night.....Couldnt make GFi's on there either :wink:

Did enjoy it (and saw lots of familiar name)

Think Ill play FUMMBL when I want "live" opposition & keep Cyanide for solo games.

Many thanks to Sann068372496 (or whatever) for getting me started and being patient!!

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I actually managed to spectate a game the other night (it was one of Sann's in fact), which is an improvement on last time I tried!
I might try a game Tues or Weds, seeing as I don't have to work.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Happy to give you a game on Weds Darkson, as I'm sure are many others!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
WhatBall
Veteran
Veteran

Post by WhatBall »

Darkson wrote:I actually managed to spectate a game the other night (it was one of Sann's in fact), which is an improvement on last time I tried!
I might try a game Tues or Weds, seeing as I don't have to work.
Congrats Darkson. The good news is that by spectating you have downloaded and cached the client already. You should have no issues now.

tchatter
Super Star
Super Star

Post by tchatter »

Same boat, I signed up on FUMBBL back in 2007 but never played a game, since I was (am) fully entrenched in PBEM. Then I bought Cyanide's game on Steam and well, its "ok". Its just not what I thought it was going to be, and is still missing quite a bit (way more than FUMBBL). So I decided to go back and take a look at FUMBBL now that its LRB6/CRP.

Well... after about 2 weeks... and 30+ games later... I think I know what I prefer. TT>FUMBBL>PBEM>Cyanide.

I have even managed to get a friend of mine and my brother signed up on FUMBBL. They each also bought Cyanide and have started to prefer FUMBBL more.

Ok... sorry for derailing the thread... :-?

Back on topic: Yeah its probably just as good as any other way to practice. Except that the AI on Cyanide is pitiful. Whereas the "AI" on FUMBBL is quite challenging. 8)

FUMBBL Coach name: tchatter
Ex-Commish of REBBL