Well there goes two hours of my life I'll never get back!

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

betterZthenDeaD
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Well there goes two hours of my life I'll never get back!

Post by betterZthenDeaD »

As the title says really!

Just tried to use FUMBBL. Joined up ages ago. Created a couple of teams. Never did anymore. This afternoon I thought, what the 'ell I'll have a go. Jeez! What a mistake that was. Just spent two hours trying to download/install/connect to chat to organise a game...

... Have now officially given up! :(

I'm not the most computer illiterate person in the world but bloody 'eck, could it be more complicated?!

Reason: ''
Maverick
Legend
Legend

Re: Well there goes two hours of my life I'll never get back

Post by Maverick »

I assume from the download comment you were trying to dload/install irc - so not actually fumbbls software,

if you have java installed tehre used to be a java app to connect to the server through your web browser at teh bottom of their chat page

I have my own beef with fumbbl so dont use it but you cant blame them for trouble with IRC

"Even if you win the Rat Race you're still a RAT"

betterZthenDeaD
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

No, don't get me wrong FUMBBL looks fine form what I've seen of it. I was merely having a rant about the complexity of setting up a game and getting frustrated fiddling around with compooterz wat I dunt unnstand! :orc:

Plenty of people I know seem to have figured it out so it must be fine. Me? Well I guess I just 'aint nerd enough! :lol:

WhatBall
Veteran
Veteran

Post by WhatBall »

Sorry for the bad experience. Sounds like you may also be trying to use the old client if you need to download.

I would suggest you click the games link and spectate a current game. This will automatically download the newest client, there is no actual install. If that works you should be good to go for playing.

For chat, if you use firefox the easiest thing to do is install chatzilla, which I had no issues with as a chat noon. The settings you need to add are on the chat page under the community link.

I'd also be happy to help with getting you going, just pm me. It is a tiny hassle to get going initially, but well worth it.

betterZthenDeaD
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Cheers for the offer but I think I've got it sussed now! Maybe about to play my first game! Hooray! :orc:

betterZthenDeaD
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Which of course ended in my opponents first turn with him going off line! :-?

So far I've spent all afternoon trying to figure out how to get started and all evening trying to get a game started. Someone please tell me it's worth persevering!

nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

It certainly is. The site is easy once you know how, and there are a lot of people happy to give advice. THe community is friendly and the experience is really good. ANd the quality of coaching, although variable, includes some of the best players you'll find anywhere.

If you want a game sometime, PM me.

betterZthenDeaD
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

nazgob wrote:It certainly is. The site is easy once you know how, and there are a lot of people happy to give advice. THe community is friendly and the experience is really good. ANd the quality of coaching, although variable, includes some of the best players you'll find anywhere.

If you want a game sometime, PM me.
Cheers nazgob! I'm free most evenings at the moment... I'll drop you a line! :orc:

WhatBall
Veteran
Veteran

Post by WhatBall »

Gloss to hear you managed to get going. Hopefully we can have a game sometime.

Odd to have someone disconnect, I've never encountered that, though the number of early concessions has been up a tiny bit.