Help! Fumbbl is turning me into a right moaner.

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

betterZthenDeaD
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Help! Fumbbl is turning me into a right moaner.

Post by betterZthenDeaD »

I am becoming obsessed with the bad rolls I'm getting one Fumbbl. I've been playing Slann in preparation for an upcoming league and I'm finding them unplayable! Not because of the team itself but because every game I play I burn a re-roll on the first turn because my first block will be double skulls or skull/both down and I'm failing at least five or six leaps a half. Thats five or six +2/+3 fails!

I played last night and two games in a row on receiving the kick my opponent got perfect defence. The second time it happened they scored, I received the kick and they got Blitz!

This is really starting to wind me up to the point where I'm going to stop playing online. On the table-top bad dice rolls are (in the right company!) a source of entertainment. Everyone has bad games (not just Blood Bowl). Those are the games you 'dine out on' and bore everyone to death with later on in the pub. I find Fumbbl an entirely different beast. The anonymity means that rather than having someone to share in my misery, someone to laugh with, I find myself getting really worked up.

Anyone else been through this?

... Rant over btw! :orc:

Reason: ''
nazgob
Legend
Legend

Re: Help! Fumbbl is turning me into a right moaner.

Post by nazgob »

Short answer, yes.

Long answer: I have indeed suffered the same problem. At the GT (most recent TT games), I had a few games in which I and my dice performed utterly abysmally. Strangely, those were the games I enjoyed the most. On fumbbl, I tend to find myself getting more frustrated. And unfortunately, I haven't found a solution. Or at least, not a great one. Take a break for a few days, or seek out blocknroll. He's a great guy, and no matter how bad your dice are, his will be worse. He's where I go if I need to break a run of bad luck. Tell him I sent you :D

WhatBall
Veteran
Veteran

Post by WhatBall »

Playing online usually means more more games, more rolls, and more bad results.

I find the biggest thing to ease the pain is chatting and trying to make it more like a social game. Unfortunately this doesn't always work, depending on the opposing coach. Learn to laugh at the bad rolls and welcome self-destruction, it helps ease the pain.

The other thing to keep in mind, is that by playing many more games than a league situation, you may be exposing weaknesses in your own play style or the team you need to address. Perhaps leaping as much as you are is not the most ideal approach in this case? (just an example, haven't played Slann so I have no idea.)

I do sympathize with you though, I seem to use a RR a turn at the start of both halves, then try and limp out the remaining turns.

Edit: looking at your results on fumbbl, you had an inordinately high number of deaths in three matches. Not the best way to get a team off the ground (especially for Slann. get it? Off the ground... :) yes, lame joke.). Hang in there, have fun, and keep playing. Fumbbl is a baptism of fire, but it will make you a better player and better and handling a bad dicing.

betterZthenDeaD
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Cheers guys! I was expecting to get flamed for moaning about dice rolls!
WhatBall wrote: Edit: looking at your results on fumbbl, you had an inordinately high number of deaths in three matches. Not the best way to get a team off the ground (especially for Slann. get it? Off the ground... :) yes, lame joke.). Hang in there, have fun, and keep playing. Fumbbl is a baptism of fire, but it will make you a better player and better and handling a bad dicing.
Most of the deaths were self inflicted! :orc:
nazgob wrote:Take a break for a few days, or seek out blocknroll. He's a great guy, and no matter how bad your dice are, his will be worse. He's where I go if I need to break a run of bad luck. Tell him I sent you :D
Cheers Nazgob I might just do that! :D

I think it's got a lot to do with the fact that playing online (or the cyanide game, which in terms of blocks I don't seem to have the same problems with) you don't physically roll the dice yourself. Therefore all the frustration you'd feel towards yourself in a TT situation is transferred onto the computer. There's nothing worse than finding yourself shouting at an inanimate object a one o'clock in the morning! :pissed: :orc:

Piousman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Piousman »

betterZthenDeaD wrote:Cheers guys! I was expecting to get flamed for moaning about dice rolls!
:pissed: Great, another moaning about bad dice rolls. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen! Plus is has been proven that the dice rolls are perfectly balanced. Just look here and here! Or here.

If you want to roll better dice, did you at least read the GW guide before complaining (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/conte ... =16100001a) :roll:

[ :lol: OK, so how was that for flaming? Did I overdo it? Did not want you to feel un-trolled :)]

betterZthenDeaD
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Piousman wrote:[ :lol: OK, so how was that for flaming? Did I overdo it? Did not want you to feel un-trolled :)][/i]
At last! Thank you. Now I feel much better. :orc: