PbEM updated to Lrb6/Crp?

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

mattski
Star Player
Star Player

PbEM updated to Lrb6/Crp?

Post by mattski »

Tom I know that you have your own game up and running and you have about a million other things going on in your life but I was just wondering if you ever had any plans to do the final update to the tool to get it up to Lrb6/Crp specs (perhaps with the few options like the bank, po, right stuff etc in it as well)?

Can understand if not but it is such a shame that the tool is just so close to being complete but is left hanging in the wind. If there was infinite time etc etc I know but I can only ask eh?!

Reason: ''
Carpe Diem
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Re: PbEM updated to Lrb6/Crp?

Post by plasmoid »

Hi Mattski,
MBBL plays full LRB6/CRP

But you're right - we have to do a few things manually.
Tom allowed me to have an independant programmer look at it - but the code/file was corrupted, so it seems like it can't be fixed now.
Shame.

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
garion
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by garion »

Ahh that is a shame, it would be nice if it got a few upgrades. Oh well.

mattski
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mattski »

plasmoid wrote:Hi Mattski,
Tom allowed me to have an independant programmer look at it - but the code/file was corrupted, so it seems like it can't be fixed now.
Shame.
Nooooooooooo ... deep breath...ooooooooooooooooooo

Ah well, looks like I will have to turn my full attention to Elfball instead. Cheers anyway.

Carpe Diem
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

The thing is they have all the source code ... they should be able to figure out what broke and fix it. I just have no time to see what they are having issues with.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
garion

Post by garion »

On a side note Galak. I remeber a while back in an interview with GLN on fumbbl, I think you said you would love to see an elf ball client developed someday. just wondering what are the chances of this coming to fruition?

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

garion wrote:On a side note Galak. I remeber a while back in an interview with GLN on fumbbl, I think you said you would love to see an elf ball client developed someday. just wondering what are the chances of this coming to fruition?
We've approached multiple folks in an effort to see it come to life ... as of yet ... no luck. Closest we have so far is the VASSAL mod that was created.

Tom

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
garion

Post by garion »

Oh well, its good that you tried, I have yet to play Elfball but i've always been keen to try, I think a Elfball client would do nothing but good things for sales, the more people that can be introduced to it via any platform the better imo.

Fingers crossed some java whizz kid will whip it up out of the blue.

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

The thing is they have all the source code ... they should be able to figure out what broke and fix it.
I'm really no expert - but it sounds to me like finding the bug in something you didn't create yourself can be a huge undertaking.

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
VoodooMike
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by VoodooMike »

garion wrote:Fingers crossed some java whizz kid will whip it up out of the blue.
Why java, exactly? That sort of project screams Flash/AIR (assuming a downloadable client was necessary to begin with) to me. At this point, you can easily port things from flash to any of the major PC platforms *and* to the major mobile platforms, though obviously you have to deal with the tiny windows on people's phones at that point.
plasmoid wrote:I'm really no expert - but it sounds to me like finding the bug in something you didn't create yourself can be a huge undertaking.
Not being informed has never stopped you before, I've noticed. As it happens, if you know precisely *what* is going wrong, its usually not overly difficult to find the location of a bug in someone else's code. In fact, its often easier to find bugs in other people's code than it is to find it in your own, because you don't skim over things you feel are fine because you wrote them yourself.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

plasmoid wrote:I'm really no expert - but it sounds to me like finding the bug in something you didn't create yourself can be a huge undertaking.
It is what I did for a living for the 10 years of my life before Impact!

VoodooMike
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by VoodooMike »

GalakStarscraper wrote:It is what I did for a living for the 10 years of my life before Impact!
Sounds like we've gotten to the bottom of the PBEM client's issues: it was written in COBOL on a PDP-11...