FUMBBL and Cyanide bash vs bash blocking study

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

van der vaart
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: FUMBBL and Cyanide bash vs bash blocking study

Post by van der vaart »

purdindas wrote:Are you of the same opinion as me Matt? I think FUMBBL is excessively brutal. I got fred up with it after 3 of my beginner teams got destroyed after just one game.
I had a skaven killed after my second ever FUMBBL game, i think its just the luck of the draw really, as i was only playing starting norse. I do feel your frustration however!

Reason: ''
Commish of the Geelong And Regions Blood Bowl League;GARBBL!
Check us out at http://geelong.bloodbowlleague.com or Follow us on Twitter! https://twitter.com/#!/GARBBL
I have a blog! http://nubs11.blog.com/
purdindas
Super Star
Super Star

Post by purdindas »

mattgslater wrote:Purdie, that's three teams over one game each. It's easy to attribute that to sampling error.

Probably, Perhaps I'm catastophising the situation or I'm taking it to personally but, at the moment I at least need a break from fumbbl.

Casualties aside, I find the games often comes down to either me dicing my opponent or them dicing me. Perhaps it all balances out in the end but, in individual games the dice seem to be most irregular.

Have you tried my Crispy Pancakes?

Scottish Blood Bowl Captain
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

purdindas wrote:
mattgslater wrote:Purdie, that's three teams over one game each. It's easy to attribute that to sampling error.

Probably, Perhaps I'm catastophising the situation or I'm taking it to personally but, at the moment I at least need a break from fumbbl.

Casualties aside, I find the games often comes down to either me dicing my opponent or them dicing me. Perhaps it all balances out in the end but, in individual games the dice seem to be most irregular.
Yeah, a great coach wins two games out of three against competent opposition, and probably only draws about a third to half of the rest.

Record is more informative than individual opposition. When talking about a team, I'd recommend considering only recent records. Team composition can change dramatically over 5-10 games.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
juck101
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by juck101 »

BBmanager collects a lot of data from games uploaded to it. You can see how many block dice were thrown but I think it counts 4 dice for example two 2d blocks. I would attribute that as 2 blocks not 4 dice but I think its that way round. So you would have to somehow filter 1ds out as essentially most should be 2ds for most actions. Each file needs loading and the block breakdown shows this.

I would suggest looking up on the 'Matchs' tab and choosing 'All Leagues'. Good leagues like the Occ and of course the UKBBL are worth including. Matchmaking Nagroth are ok but occasionally some of the data is from below standard coaches and their is no filter for that. Only way is coach knowledge and just getting a feel for good and bad. Randomoracle for example was a top coach and exhibits great skills on cyanide. Other players may be 10-0-2 but not really the consistency that you might need to compare like for like. FOL is probably a great place to look as the players are half respectable but sadly I have no knowledge of these, but Dode clearly will.

bit of a sidenote but I think this is relevent;
As a very old player on fumbbl who observes new games but does not actively play on this client, I would point out some of the (R) format teams that were once top quality might not appear that anymore. 'Bloat' and best practice has changed and I think Fumbbl has the biggest pool of teams that would transgress time and be active nowadays but were historically from prior systems. Things like stand firm chooses on an orc team compare to nowadays having dodge or DT as better options because SF is a normal choice again. I think that's probably evident in 5 to 10% of fumbbl games but its fairly hard to consider team lineage also into a comparison. Im guilty of new builds on Woody catchers under lrb6 so im sure you should see some variation according to rules. Overall great teams now are a lot leaner in TV than ever before in the game but I think older more powerful options taint a perfect comparison if that is what you are aiming for.

...the pope said to his aid...