Types of Leagues in Cyanide BB?

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Nestyr
Experienced
Experienced

Types of Leagues in Cyanide BB?

Post by Nestyr »

Hi all,

With the official Cyanide forums currently being down, can someone either explain to me what the different types of private leagues that can be created are, or point me in the direction of some document/website which explains this?

I'm looking at creating a private league where players can play matches either to a weekly schedule, or as they see fit (open, I guess?), but also have the option for play-offs/finals at semi-regular intervals.

I'm also looking to be able to introduce new teams as new players want to join in, and/or old players want to remove existing teams and add new teams in.

Is this possible under any of the current private league options?

From what I can see, the following league options are available:
  • Championship, which can have multiple divisions, and a trophy and prize money for end of season;
    Cup, no divisions, but pools(?), play-off levels(?) and a trophy and prize money;
    Grand Slam, Which consists of a Championship with Divisions, and a Cup with pools, and a trophy and prize money...;
    Play-off(?), which has a trophy and prize money;
    Open League, which has no trophy or prize money, and seems to be open-ended.
Is it possible to run an ongoing private league, and then have the best teams (at a given point) in that league be able to join another league for a one-off Champioship/ Cup/ Grand Slam/ Play-off, then come back to the open league, with their trophies and prizes?

Apologies if this is all obvious, or if it has been covered elsewhere. I did do a quick search of the forums before posting here...

Cheers,

Nestyr

Reason: ''
"Icepelt cannot be my hero, but I wish Games Workshop could".
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Re: Types of Leagues in Cyanide BB?

Post by dode74 »

I would run an Open League with challenges available. Challenges will allow you to bypass the TV system, which will be necessary for a small league. I would also get everyone to use BBManager to make stat tracking far easier.

You can end the season in an open league, which resets the rankings - we do this every 2 months with FOL. The best teams can leave and have a playoff, too - again, this is something we do each season with FOL.

Nestyr
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Nestyr »

dode74 wrote:I would run an Open League with challenges available. Challenges will allow you to bypass the TV system, which will be necessary for a small league. I would also get everyone to use BBManager to make stat tracking far easier.

You can end the season in an open league, which resets the rankings - we do this every 2 months with FOL. The best teams can leave and have a playoff, too - again, this is something we do each season with FOL.
Dode,

Thanks for the response. This sounds like the way to go.

One more thing - if teams are removed from the league, to be added to a play-off, can they return to the open league on completion of the play-off? It sounds as though the answer is "yes", but it'd be nice to have it confirmed.

I'd really like to get a rolling league going, where players can come and go as they please, play whatever teams as they see fit (swapping and changing teams after play-offs if they want, and having the option to bring old teams back in after play-offs, etc), to their own schedules, playing as often or as little as they like. If it turns out not enough games get played, I'll reset it, and have weekly games played to a schedule, if possible...

Cheers,

Nestyr

"Icepelt cannot be my hero, but I wish Games Workshop could".
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Yes, they can come back in at any time once the admin accepts them. You may need to change the league rules to allow older or higher TV teams in mid-season, but that is not a problem and we do it in FOL all the time.

Regarding challenges, I'd try to get everyone to use MM to find games unless their teams are outside the 430TV limit. I believe there is a limit to the number of challenges you can make against a coach in a season (the admin can set the limit, but I don't remember what the maximum is, if there is one), so using MM wouldn't eat into that. It might take them a little longer to get the game started (a few minutes) while the MM search does its thing, but I suspect this is the better solution unless you can set challenges to limitless. Whether you choose to implement unranked games is up to you and how you run the league, of course, but we don't allow them in FOL.

For seasons and games played, we run a 15-game minimum in FOL to qualify for the tournament with a season lasting ~60 days. This is due to the way the ranking system allocates points ((x*wins+y*draws+z*losses+k*TDdifference)/(n+W+D+L)) and the way that games after this point make some (but not as much) difference to the points earned. Alternatively, BBManager will allow you to select a standard league points system (3,1,0), or you can use BBManager to work out any other method you want (Elo or win%, for example) to rank players. Depending on the size of your league I'd recommend regular resets of the rankings and a minimum number of games played in order to qualify for the tournaments.