So tell me about this PBeM...

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Lunchab1es
Star Player
Star Player

So tell me about this PBeM...

Post by Lunchab1es »

I've heard many references to play by email leagues, but how do they work? Is there a running program that handles everything but the mouse clicks, or is it like long range chess aka "I blitz your guy on square h8, roll your dice and get back to me"? What about pre and post match stuff eg skill ups and the like?

How long do matches typically last? What is the etiquette for time to take your turns, etc?

I rarely have time to sit down for a full fumbbl or cyanide match, so I was wondering if this might be a better option for me.

Reason: ''
Looking for: 5th ed Human Thrower #2
Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: So tell me about this PBeM...

Post by Darkson »

Been a while since I played in a PBeM league, but the tool does pretty much everything for you in your turn. You select your move (click the path, like Cyanide), drag and drop to block etc. Things like dodges, pass attempts (and interceptions) and AV/inj rolls are handled by the client. There are a couple of interupt skills, like Pass Block and Shadowing, that can cause you to save mid-turn and send back to your opponent, but some are semi-automated, such as Side Step (and there are a few rules changes just to ease gameplay, though I can't recall what they were off-hand).

Pre- and Post-game are pretty much automated, pretty much the only thing you need to do is select skill ups.

There's also a html roster maker that you use to make sure the roster is a readable form for the tool.

When I played, each league had it's own rules for time of play, but most asked for a minimum of one turn per weekday (excluding holidays such as Christmas etc.).
I had games which lasted a couple of months, but also had games which finished in a day or so - really depends on when you and your opponent are online.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
WhatBall
Veteran
Veteran

Post by WhatBall »

Lunchab1es,
The new FUMBBL client does a great job of saving your spot in the game. If you can arrange a League with some similarly minded friends you can pop in and play a few turns here and there in a similar style to PBEM, but more efficient. Doesn't completely make up for time zones and such, but it might work better.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Lunchab1es
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Lunchab1es »

Thanks all! You've given me quite a bit to think about.

Looking for: 5th ed Human Thrower #2
Oventa
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oventa »

Interesting
I am also currently looking for a way to use my iPad during the way to work for something useful like bloodbowl.

So above solutions are not fit as it seems, but I am anyway curious:
So the client is for windows only I guess?
Can I use it also for one on one games or are the mails sent to a central server?

Cheers
Oventa

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

It is for Windows only.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

It's one to one. Only the final file (after post game) needs uploading.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

As the admin of MBBL I just want to say that you're all most welcome to join :)

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
Hegel
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Hegel »

So, how long does a match last usually ? Weeks ?

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Darkson wrote:When I played, each league had it's own rules for time of play, but most asked for a minimum of one turn per weekday (excluding holidays such as Christmas etc.).
I had games which lasted a couple of months, but also had games which finished in a day or so - really depends on when you and your opponent are online.

Hegel
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Hegel »

Is the PbeM Tool customizable to use in an own league ? I´ve only seen the MBBL version which can be downloaded there...

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

What do you mean? It comes with various settings (different rule sets, etc), some of which can then be further customised.
If you mean does it have to be run through the MBBL, not at all. At it's height there were probably 20+ different league websites for it, all running in slightly different ways.
The PBeM tool is just that, a way of playing the game via email. How you decide to record the games etc is up to you. The MBBL just makes it easier in that you can upload the final game file to the site and it will automatically update the rankings etc, but that's not part of the tool itself.

longfang
Legendz Bedo Legend

Post by longfang »

Tom is there any possibility it could be converted to work with smart phones and tablets. Android, ios ect.

[size=75]Del. [color=red]Tramp Champ. Media Tart.[/color][/size]

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334#t=14334]Hall of Famer[/url]
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I think Tom has said he no longer has access to the files (or something).