The mighty 'Alt + F4'

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Jembo17
Veteran
Veteran

The mighty 'Alt + F4'

Post by Jembo17 »

Hey guys,

I've just got to turn 5 of a match of my Orcs vs Chaos, when all of a sudden just as I knock over the ball carrier 'connection is lost' and that 5 minute countdown appears in the top right hand corner of the screen.

At the end of the 5 mins a box appears in the centre of the screen saying 'network connection interrupted', and the only option that I have is to select 'quit match'.

When i've had this happen in the past and i've selected 'quit match', the game has been recorded as a loss against me???? My internet connection didn't go down at any point, so it's something my opponent has caused.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to prevent my orcs recording a loss for some stunt that my opponent has clearly pulled?

Thanks in advance.

Reason: ''
Jembo17
Veteran
Veteran

Re: The mighty 'Alt + F4'

Post by Jembo17 »

Apologies, just to clarify, I was playing the Cyanide 'Legendary Edition' game.

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Hi!
I suggest to play here: http://fumbbl.com/
If you or your opponent should disconnect you don't risk to lose the match, and you can resume it quickly when you come back online again.

Back on topic: you can't prevent the loss record, I'm sorry :( .
If you can, join FOL (Forum Open League) --> http://forum.bloodbowl-game.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=61.
It's a policed league and you can report suspicious disconnections.
In the other leagues (especially Auld League) there are many cheaters.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Jembo17 wrote:My internet connection didn't go down at any point, so it's something my opponent has caused.
Not necessarily - the messages they put on there are very generic, and can mean pretty much anything. You might have even just had a hiccup your end, and that will drop the connection.
I'm not saying that it wasn't deliberate, but you can't automatically assume it's the other persons fault.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Juriel
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Juriel »

Sometimes there is a separate countdown after the initial one. If you click Quit Match right away, it may record it as a loss against you (even if it wasn't your connection's fault), but if the other countdown shows up, it hasn't given a loss to me that way yet... Even if it is 10 minutes of waiting, for something (MM stuff) that doesn't matter.

FUMBBL has spectating and reconnecting, so it definitely has Cyanide beat. Except their pitch is sideways, and that messes me up so much.

Jembo17
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jembo17 »

Darkson wrote:
Jembo17 wrote:My internet connection didn't go down at any point, so it's something my opponent has caused.
Not necessarily - the messages they put on there are very generic, and can mean pretty much anything. You might have even just had a hiccup your end, and that will drop the connection.
I'm not saying that it wasn't deliberate, but you can't automatically assume it's the other persons fault.
I totally agree with not jumping to conclusions, but in my experience when it has happened to me, I always seem to have the upper hand, or a pivotal play has just gone my way and then "tah dah!" connection is lost. The cynic inside me does wonder why this only happens. Wouldn't mind it happening to save a game for me when i'm getting whupped! But never seems to be the case.

At any rate, rant over. :D

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Yep, and I lost a game where my 7 DEs turned over a full orc squad, while I was 1-0 up, as I supposedly lost connection, even though my wife was using the same network for work.
It happens, and I find people that assume cheating first almost as bad as those that do cheat.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Darkson wrote:Yep, and I lost a game where my 7 DEs turned over a full orc squad, while I was 1-0 up, as I supposedly lost connection, even though my wife was using the same network for work.
It happens, and I find people that assume cheating first almost as bad as those that do cheat.
It’s probably a similar issue with all those “RNG is broken” conspiracy nuts. You only remember it when it negatively affects them.
I doubt you’ll hear many coached complaining that they were playing a game and getting soundly thrashed until the connection was lost and they got the win.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

Juriel wrote: FUMBBL has spectating and reconnecting, so it definitely has Cyanide beat. Except their pitch is sideways, and that messes me up so much.
play on a laptop and turn it onto its side........TA Da, problem solved :D

Pug
Legend
Legend

Post by Pug »

glowworm wrote:
Juriel wrote: FUMBBL has spectating and reconnecting, so it definitely has Cyanide beat. Except their pitch is sideways, and that messes me up so much.
play on a laptop and turn it onto its side........TA Da, problem solved :D

He may come 4th....but the guys a genius at times! :smoking:

"In Dodge We Trust"
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

FUMBBL. If your opponent ragequits, your team is out of commission for a few days and then you get a concession.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Bob Bifford
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Bob Bifford »

mattgslater wrote:FUMBBL. If your opponent ragequits, your team is out of commission for a few days and then you get a concession.
Dont take that long and inbetween waiting just use another team.

Jembo17 wrote: Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to prevent my orcs recording a loss for some stunt that my opponent has clearly pulled?
Play at http://www.fumbbl.com much better community and client.
Darkson wrote: Not necessarily - the messages they put on there are very generic, and can mean pretty much anything. You might have even just had a hiccup your end, and that will drop the connection.
Dont stick up for crappy cyanide! its obvious this happens all the time, christ some one even promoted do alt F4 on the cyanide forum its like a tactic people are now using to save there team reason cyanide is crap.

Below is a quote from some one promoting alt F4 on cyanide forums link to topic bottome page 1 http://forum.bloodbowl-game.com/viewtop ... f=5&t=2838
Taipen wrote:I don't like my advice either, but in that particualr case, the same moment you've realized his intention is to cripple your team, you had to do so much hated ALT+F4 thing and save them, if they so prescious for you. Life is harsh, and BB is harsh as much, so if you are weak and forced to play in circumstances where your smart wit or speed or agility wont do any good (and u haven't got a smit'n'wessen either), you have to be prepared to run as hell.

EastCoast
Veteran
Veteran

Post by EastCoast »

Bob Bifford wrote: Dont stick up for crappy cyanide!
Yeah Darkson, quit being a Cyanide apologist! :lol: