I am RUBBISH on FUMBBL

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Glowworm

Re: I am RUBBISH on FUMBBL

Post by Glowworm »

Lychanthrope wrote: all the Europeans I've met are very good:(

You haven't met me!! :D I'm terrible on TT and worse on FUMBBL , nothing to do with the RNG, I'm just not great at all.

I've just joined a league on FUMBBL to give it another try after spectating but not playing for a long whole...
Lychanthrope wrote:'If FUMBBL is up from there I am in for a thrashing. :(
If you do go on, feel free to add me, then you can beat me down as well, it's the game not the winning for me (luckily)

I completely get what's been said on this thread about coaching standards, I thought I was an above average coach on TT until I started going to tournaments, soon found out I was a "big fish in a little pond"
Apply that to the 100s more coaches on FUMBBL and it became obvious that I was mediocre at best.......and even now continue to be so...

Reason: ''
garion
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by garion »

dode74 wrote:While there are many issues with the Cyanide platform the RNG is not one of them. The RNG on Cyanide and the RNG on FUMBBL are as good as each other for the purposes of producing a random number which will work at least as well as dice.
good to know they sorted that out. The predetermined rolls it used to use was shockingly bad. Do you have a link about how it works now, I would be interested to read about it.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

There was nothing to "sort out" apart from the ability to read it from memory, which was what BBOracle did. All PRNGs use predetermined rolls based on a seed and an algorithm, even FUMBBL's one (which resets its seed every so often using an entropy accumulator); FUMBBLs happen server-side, though, which is a big bonus in terms of security. I understand BB2 will be server-side as well, making the RNG better and giving the ability to reconnect.

http://forum.bloodbowl-game.com/viewtop ... 056#p28056

garion

Post by garion »

Yup but the problem with cyanides was it didn't reset the seed (or didn't used to), fumbbls does this very often and also has a number of different reels of rolls while cyanides used to only have one and it would seed from a specific point after which it would just work through the rolls in order iirc and was predictable. I know they made some changes though I'm not sure to what extent they improved it?

Seems like bb2 is on the right track there though. Shame about the rest of the game mind. :P

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Nah, the problem with Cyanides was that it was client-side and readable within memory. That was what made it predictable.

J_Bone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by J_Bone »

I've only just joined it myself and have seen some of the crazy 9 rookies / 2 150 TD star player teams knocking about. I expect to hit the shark infested waters before long.

The more dedicated / fanatical guys from our league have joined up too so, you know... There goes the neighbourhood.

The brains behind the Double Skulls Podcast http://doubleskulls.libsyn.com/

Beardman.
juck101

Post by juck101 »

dode74 wrote:While there are many issues with the Cyanide platform the RNG is not one of them. The RNG on Cyanide and the RNG on FUMBBL are as good as each other for the purposes of producing a random number which will work at least as well as dice.
Yes to further add some evidence I think both fumbbl and cyanide use electroinc methods to roll dice and both are completly fair. I do hear a lot of people winge about this initally and it is total rubbish. Same as rolling them from your hand

...the pope said to his aid...
juck101

Post by juck101 »

Heff, do try to make sure you are using a team that is 'lean'. By that I mean tabletop tends to run for less time and you dont get huge sides. Online I think it is easier to play more games and hence develop more bloat which many experienced coaches wont.

I would recommend playing in the club for lower ranked players and do try to chat to players. Trying to enjoy the format also helps a lot as you may find not being able to have a beer and chuck dice at your rival does not work the same online. Just have fun :)

...the pope said to his aid...
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

juck101 wrote: Same as rolling them from your hand
Actually, RNGs used on FUMBBL and Cyanide are better than rolling physical dice from your hand.
Physical dice are never flawless, and even when they are well balanced, the wear and tear affects them.

VoodooMike
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by VoodooMike »

garion wrote:Yup but the problem with cyanides was it didn't reset the seed (or didn't used to), fumbbls does this very often and also has a number of different reels of rolls while cyanides used to only have one and it would seed from a specific point after which it would just work through the rolls in order iirc and was predictable. I know they made some changes though I'm not sure to what extent they improved it?
Unless FUMBBL's rolls are done server-side, it is no less vulnerable to the same sort of thing that Cyanide's version is. It doesn't matter how complicated you make the process in memory, if its being done in local memory then the process can be tracked, traced, reproduced. This is especially true of something written in Java, as Java has always been easy to decompile.

I hope what you're talking about is the process on the server side... in which case its still a giant waste of time, but its not a waste of time that still manages to accomplish nothing ;)

squirrelfanatic
Experienced
Experienced

Post by squirrelfanatic »

True to form as a Necromantic coach, I'll resurrect this thread for my own purpose. Evil, I know. After having registered on FUMBBL quite a while ago I finally managed to sign up to much-praised 145club league (still need to get my first game in, but hey). While that appears to be a good starting point, I'd like to get an idea of the wider range of play types available with the client and also would be interested in hearing people's thoughts on other league environments.

Does it make sense for someone who's still a bit green behind the BB ears to give Blackbox and Ranked a try? I understand that these modes would allow a me to play several games over a shorter period of time than weekly league schedules (for instance). Or are these environments too unforgiving to allow for some learning experiences? I think I won't mind getting totally dominated by experienced coaches as long as I can take something out of it so that I can improve in future matches. Since there seem to be some teams sporting the BB version of a savant syndrome (the famous legend amongst a sea of low TV players) I'm not sure if getting a beating from such a team will grant any deeper insights.

Any input on this would be very much appreciated, as I'm currently struggling to come up with a suitable way to improve my game.

koadah
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by koadah »

Get stuck in to the 145 Club! :orc:

It is not 'weekly' so you can get a few games in a week.

You can also play in the Ranked division. You can 'pick' your opponents so that they are of a similar standard/rating. Look out for experienced coaches trying to 'pick' you with mismatched teams.

Feel free to play Black Box if you fancy it. It does seem to be mainly stars, super stars & legends though.

You watch games in progress to see how Fumbblers play. If you pick games with plenty of spectators you can see their comments and ask questions.

You can also watch replays of games by top rated coaches .
Click the green "D" next a match. then the "Replay" link on the match report page.

Follow the Taoch and have a look at some strategy guides

squirrelfanatic
Experienced
Experienced

Thanks for those links. I must confess that I've been a registered member for quite some time now, so replays and top boards are not unfamiliar to me. What would be most interesting to me would be recommendations for leagues to play in, maybe something similar to the 145club which appears to be laid back and friendly.

koadah
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by koadah »

O[L]C starts next week.

White Isle and OBBA are well worth a look.

squirrelfanatic
Experienced
Experienced

Hey, I just saw your message on FUMBBL, thanks for that! I'll take a closer look and see if I'll join for the next season. Cheers for the hints.