Is FUMBBL normally this horrible?

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

J_Bone
Super Star
Super Star

Is FUMBBL normally this horrible?

Post by J_Bone »

Just a quick one... Is FUMBBL normally as horrible as I have found it or have I just played some utter wazzocks? I've had a few games where the other guy has gone from jovial and talkative to grumpy the moment I start winning and that's fine but I have had some awful experiences on there so far.

The main one I keep on finding is people who seem to somehow be farming their teams. I played a guy recently who had all of the points in his 1300 team on one Chaos Dwarf (and had a few loner Hobs).

The other is guys who have a perfect win rating who go MENTAL if you even pull out a draw. I had one guy be perfectly reasonable and took advantage of an incredibly rough turnover of mine to score early on. He then made some mistakes in the second half and I pulled out a turn 16 equaliser. The guy was really abusive and then left the most passive aggressive match review about a minute later.

This kind of stuff makes me not want to bother anymore... It's way worse than anything I'd experienced on the Cyanide version. The worst thing I had on there was an early concession and no chat. Have I just managed to find the biggest arseholes and cheats on FUMBBL or does everybody just ignore this when they talk about how great it is?

Reason: ''
The brains behind the Double Skulls Podcast http://doubleskulls.libsyn.com/

Beardman.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Re: Is FUMBBL normally this horrible?

Post by sann0638 »

Nope, there are occasional bad apples - in my 500 odd games on there, I've had maybe 2 unpleasant ones. Unlucky! Find a good league to play in, or accept the odd internet nutter :)

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

I remember the min maxed teams being pretty common on it, never encountered a hyper farmed team though...

connexion
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by connexion »

Don't think I ever had any truly unpleasant game on fumbbl, to be honest. Especially compared to Cyanide (which I avoid like the plague these days).

Waldorf28
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Waldorf28 »

In my experience, pretty much.

Everyone there looks at the number of games you've played and then becomes startled if that number is low and you start playing well.

As if there was nowhere else on earth to play BB.

I go on on about twice a year. It doesn't change.

Commissioner at the UKBBL.
Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

Add me, easy win and I only ever moan about my own dice...... :D

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

J_Bone wrote:The guy was really abusive and then left the most passive aggressive match review about a minute later.
Take a screenshot, upload it on your FUMBBL gallery, then show it to an admin and report the abusive coach.
If you want to educate people report is your best friend.
So far, after over 1100 games, I reported only 2 coaches.
J_Bone wrote: This kind of stuff makes me not want to bother anymore... It's way worse than anything I'd experienced on the Cyanide version. The worst thing I had on there was an early concession and no chat.
I played a lot on Cyanide and people abused and pulled the plug when losing (and sometimes I got a loss when I was winning).
Cyanide is better only for the higher number of coaches and graphics, the connectivity sucks, and it's unpoliced.
Playing in FOL is a bit better but you will find unpleasant coaches even there.

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

No, sounds like you've had a bit of bad luck.

Like any internet community, there will be some assholes. But FUMBBL is the one place in the BB-verse online that is policed. If someone acts like a doofus, report him. If someone breaks the rules, report him. Conceding for no reason is against the rules, for example. Then the offender will either change his behaviour or be banned, improving FUMBBL for all.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

I've not played any FUMBBL, but I've met some FUMBBL coaches at tourneys who are real twats. And I've met some FUMBBL coaches are real gents. That is the same for anything.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

You weren't playing in the Blackbox division by any chance were you? That seems to attract those types, especially the min-maxers.

I don't think it's possible to play 144 games in 72 hours though.

*edit* just looked you up. That Chaos Dwarf team dates back to 2011 and is coached by one of the most notorious cherrypicking douche-bag coaches on FUMBBL.

I'd suggest joining a league like the 145 club, you'll meet a lot of cool people there and can play the ones you like in [R] as long as you don't play them too frequently.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

spubbbba wrote:You weren't playing in the Blackbox division by any chance were you? That seems to attract those types, especially the min-maxers.

I don't think it's possible to play 144 games in 72 hours though.
He was playing in Ranked, the division that attracts cherrypickers and coaches that regularly play vs rookies, avoiding bad match ups.

WhatBall
Veteran
Veteran

Post by WhatBall »

Welcome to FUMBBL.
Looks like you got really unlucky.

Since we are not on FUMBBL here, I'll name & shame and make a few observations.

1. you got picked by Yuzi and his min-max CDs. DO NOT play Yuzi.
2. You played pythrr, who is actually really fun to play, but he can be interpreted as being loud/obnoxious by some. He will usually really cheer on killing you, but also when you beat him up as well. Not usre how that game went, just saw his name.
3. You conceded with no perms or casualties. Be careful. If it is an abusive coach on the other end, get screen grabs, report it. If it is an emergency, let the opponent know if you have to leave. Otherwise, be prepared to get a note from the admins. Just an observation, no idea what the situation was.
4. As stated above, the best place to play is [L]eague.
5. For a good time and silliness, give [S]tunty a whirl.
6. Most of your opponents were Rookie/Experienced/Star level, so you didn't get picked too badly by Legends and Super Stars.

Hang in there, you just hit a rough patch.

outcast
Veteran
Veteran

Post by outcast »

I've probably only played around 100 games on FUMBBL (mostly in Ranked via Game Finder) but I've found most opponents to be pretty decent.

The behaviour I find most common is an inability to lose with good grace. This seems to be most prevalent with the Super Star and Legend coaches who are only to quick to point out that they should and would have beaten your "lowly" ass if it hadn't been for all your POWs and all their Skulls... this is when I chip in with "well, it IS a dice game... perhaps you are better suited to something else?"

I've only encountered one coach who I would go out of my way to avoid. He was a Legend DE coach and I was Rookie Norse. At 1-1, he got carried away beating me up on the line and neglected the fact that with a couple of GFIs I could put some tackle zones on his ball carrier. He dodged away but double-skulled a blitz, at which point he called me a "lucky tard" and told me to "tard away"... then he quit the game, only to message me later asking if we could finish it :roll:

As mentioned previously, the 145 club is a really friendly environment, or join a nice league... or just accept that in [R] you will encounter the odd tw4t, make a note of their name and avoid them.

"Good work ain't cheap. Cheap work ain't good." - Norman “Sailor Jerry” Collins
burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

As a lot of these guys have said, [L]eague is the way to go on FUMBBL.

I play 0 ranked games a year. Occasionally I get a hair up my @$$ and will hit up a box match for s#!ts and giggles. 99% of my games in a year are League matches though. The competition is much more friendly.

J_Bone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by J_Bone »

WhatBall wrote:1. you got picked by Yuzi and his min-max CDs. DO NOT play Yuzi.
2. You played pythrr, who is actually really fun to play, but he can be interpreted as being loud/obnoxious by some. He will usually really cheer on killing you, but also when you beat him up as well. Not usre how that game went, just saw his name.
3. You conceded with no perms or casualties. Be careful. If it is an abusive coach on the other end, get screen grabs, report it. If it is an emergency, let the opponent know if you have to leave. Otherwise, be prepared to get a note from the admins. Just an observation, no idea what the situation was.
4. As stated above, the best place to play is [L]eague.
5. For a good time and silliness, give [S]tunty a whirl.
6. Most of your opponents were Rookie/Experienced/Star level, so you didn't get picked too badly by Legends and Super Stars.
Yes, Yuzi was the Chaos Dwarf guy who was min-maxing. I don't even remember pythrr so he must have been fine. The concede was a game where the majority of my team got KO'd in the first half and the opponent was just stalling and bashing me so I conceded. I had some daft low uncompetitive number of guys on the pitch (and I believe my apothecary was used up) and I could forsee my team just getting ripped to shreds so I just let my opponent take the win, my cash and my MVP to try to stop the remnants of my team getting killed or injured.

I've had a bit of a break from it now so I'm going to have some more games this week and will check out the other guy's team roster before playing to try to weedle out the min-maxers. If I get anybody being abusive again I will get a screen-grab and report it straight away. Thanks guys.

The brains behind the Double Skulls Podcast http://doubleskulls.libsyn.com/

Beardman.