Additional deviations from CRP seen in BB2 trailer

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Re: Additional deviations from CRP seen in BB2 trailer

Post by Shteve0 »

Back on topic (because in my opinion we already have threads to discuss the merits or otherwise of changes to the rules, this is a thread for looking what the BB2 deviations from CRP are)... given Zug's appearance in the roster of the reavers, could it be that cyanide are reintroducing rostered stars, or is that just for the story version?

Reason: ''
League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

I made a better pic of that missing skill.

Click to enlarge!

Yep, it's pass block, that is missing.
Let's just hope it's because of an early stage of production...
I just hate cyanide for not sticking to the rulebook, dammit!

WhatBall
Veteran
Veteran

Post by WhatBall »

Regash wrote:I made a better pic of that missing skill.

Click to enlarge!

Yep, it's pass block, that is missing.
Let's just hope it's because of an early stage of production...
I just hate cyanide for not sticking to the rulebook, dammit!
Pass Block is a REALLY hard skill to code. It gave Kalimar and the testers fits for the client on FUMBBL and was also left out of initial releases. It works out of sequence and there are a lot of nuances to take into account, not the least of which is determining if a player can make it to a legal position, taking into account all skills (such as leap) and opposing players. Given the Cyanide track record, I would be surprised they could pull it off completely.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

They managed it in BB1.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Regash

Post by Regash »

Shteve0 wrote:given Zug's appearance in the roster of the reavers, could it be that cyanide are reintroducing rostered stars, or is that just for the story version?
I don't think so.
Mighty Zug, as well as Bob Bifford, will only appear in the story campaign.
(And I really hope crashing goblins and other nonsense will stay in that campaign too!)
Zug was an original Reavers player, right? It's only natural he will appear in the campaign alongside Griff.
I'm pretty sure you'll be able to hire them for one game, as usual.

Another thing I've read on the website was that it might be possible to boost your stadium. But that might also affect your games!
Cyanide wrote:Perhaps your grandiose stadium is lacking a roof? Upgrade to protect your pitch from the dangers of the sky
Source: Blood Bowl 2 website

Does that mean I don't have any weather effects anymore if I do so?

@ Darkson:
Exactly my thought.
Pass block IS in BB1...

Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

WhatBall wrote:...not the least of which is determining if a player can make it to a legal position, taking into account all skills (such as leap) and opposing players.
That's an absolute requirement for the AI to function, so can't see it being that.
More likely it's still under testing or not implemented in whichever build was used for the video.

Kaiowas
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kaiowas »

or

they moved it to Agility skills?

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Id guess that the 'wasnt ready for the demo' argument is most likely.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Though if that was the case, why not say so on one of the social platforms etc they've been asked about it? The wall of silence on this from them makes me think it's more likely they haven't included it, at least yet (the "oh sh*t, we missed it"). They were much more forthcoming about their ageing, which is why if it was just an early build they would have said so.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Yep, that's plausible. But the guys bleating on social media are not necessarily the same as the ones struggling with the coding. It just seems odd to drop a pretty nondescript skill entirely, at least to me - more odd than just saying 'it's not ready, we'll work on it but it's not top priority'. Just saying that if I had to stake my money on which of the two scenarios is more believable, I know where I'd put it.

If it were based on bugginess in BB1 though, I think shadowing is (literally) the most game breaking.

PercyTheTroll
Veteran
Veteran

Post by PercyTheTroll »

Is it possible they looked at how often Pass Block was taken/used in BB1 and decided it wasn't worth the effort? I can see deciding to drop it based on a cost/benefit analysis.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

If that's the case they should also have looked at how often Eldril was taken as an inducement where it was possible to take him. Using PB as a poor measure, imo, since it's a preventative rather than an active skill. In the same way as a wizard makes you play with the wizard in mind, PB makes you consider it whenever you consider a pass.

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

dode74 wrote:If that's the case they should also have looked at how often Eldril was taken as an inducement where it was possible to take him. Using PB as a poor measure, imo, since it's a preventative rather than an active skill. In the same way as a wizard makes you play with the wizard in mind, PB makes you consider it whenever you consider a pass.
The difference from a Wizard and a Pass Blocker is: you can't stop a Lightning Bolt/Fireball while you can in most cases avoid to pass the ball to a receiver who could be marked by a Pass Blocker, after all passing is not the first option to move the ball across the pitch.
This is why the Wizard is considered a strong inducement and Pass Block a sub-par skill.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

We've done this already, matt. I know the difference between a wizard and a pass blocker, thanks, since I am not a drooling moron (despite the incoming doubt of this fact from the usual suspects!). The fact remains that they are passive threats in the same manner.

The comparison is like the USS Enterprise vs a 12' dinghy: they are both boats and you can float on either one. I'm not suggesting you go to war in the dinghy, though.

Regash

Post by Regash »

legowarrior wrote:Video Gaming is much more immediate when it comes to results and information.
Sorry to disagree but the patches are mostly for correcting bugs and errors that wouldn't be in the game if the developer had it tested properly.
But today, everyone has internet and so they don't need to test it. The customer will do that.
Even worse, today they sell you "early access", so you pay for being a tester.

Right now, companies think more like this.