Pixie Team

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

Galak.

I seem to remember somewhere a few weeks back that you said that one of the teams which no-one at that time had taken, was said to be the most unbalanced side seen yet in BB. Or Words to that effect. Would it happen to be those damn Pixies. I'm playing a practice game against Don Khan and i can't block the little B*******. Agility 4, along with 4 Treemen. When i saw Pixies i thought ok My Chaos Dwarfs are gonna eat these alive, but with that Avoid skill i can't even get a block in

“ By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes “

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: McDeth on 2002-04-03 16:05 ]</font>

Reason: ''
Don Khan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Don Khan »

I must say that i am as surprised as you by the things those little pixies can do!
i far above my hopes!

and ok the 4 treemens help a little bit...

i think that my little boys will make some good surprises!

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

3 things:

1) The team that everyone screamed was broken that no one took was the Elementalist team.

2) Pixies have way too many disadvantages to be broken. Its complete insanity for them to try to pass the ball, the ball handlers can never go for it, there big guys often miss 1/2 the match and cannot move to provide down field protection, you can dodge into any cage formation they create with virtually no penalties, and you can overcome the Avoid skill with just enough warm bodies.

3) McDeth, I don't want to get into any type of long discussion ... could I ask you to please remove that icon from your sig. It would be greatly appreciated.

Galak

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GalakStarscraper on 2002-04-03 16:23 ]</font>

McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

Will Do.

Apologies to anyone offended. No harm intended

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

No problem ... and thanks, McDeth ... that meant a lot to me that you did that so quickly.

The biggest things you have to remember to defeat pixies is that they HAVE to play a RUNNING game (they don't have Right Stuff) ... and they cannot GFI. So you don't get to many surprise plays.

The other thing to remember to defeat them is that they don't give -1 penalties to dodging INTO their TZs (its like they aren't there). So ....

<code>
PBP
P.P
P.X
</code>

If X is your AG 3 Hobgoblin, and P is a Pixie, and B is a Pixie with the ball. The Hobgoblin can blitz the Pixie with the Ball with one 3+ Dodge roll. The same is true when playing a Snotling team.

I'm using the "fixed" version of Titchy that has been tested for more matches than I can count at this point. Anyway, the trick to betting the Pixies to you have to see the board in a new manner.

Galak

McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

Now were well into the second half i am beginning to see their frailties. The no GFI with the ball is a definite drawback, didn't realise this. Also when you do get a block in the Armour /Injury roll invariably gets them off the pitch. I definitely think they have the ability to pull of a few suprises though.

Steve

Don Khan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Don Khan »

i'm agree with "no GFI with the ball is a definite drawback", but for me the major problem is they doesn't have right stuff (why???), that could have put a little imagination in there game (even if there is a lot of posibilities with the 2+ dodge anywhere-anytime)

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

An entire team of MA 6/AG 4/Right Stuff players would be broken ... so no way, no how do they get Right Stuff. 2+ Dodge rolls with the Dodge skill anytime anywhere is enough.

Galak

Don Khan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Don Khan »

I actually try to imagine wich skills could be good for pixies, if they survive long enough to have some. McBeth tell me that sprint and sure feet would be cool, but he forgot (i do to) that they can't go for it when they have the ball, so i think it's quite useless.
Maybe Jam could be cool to help thel to survive with their 4 ag, but i cant find anyother good skills (of course block on double, +ag and +av are cool, but it's quite unusual).
So does anyone have an idea?

McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

I still think Sprint and Sure Feet would be useful in getting them into the end zone to receive. With ag 4 they can still pass and catch. possibly pro might also be good to get a possible re-roll on the catch roll you have to make.

Alternatively devise anew skill which stops them getting injured every time they fall down :wink: :wink: :lol:

Don Khan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Don Khan »

sorry but those little things can't catch or throw (-2 pass range, and half of the time when they try to catch a pass they fall down cause the ball is too heavy!) so definitively forgot sprint and sure feet!

Pro would be cool, but it's a general skill, and if i roll a double, i'll take block first!

McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

Yeah sorry didn't see that bit in the rules.

Still i think you'll have a hard enough job keeping them on the pitch before worrying about Star Player points and Skill rolls. :D

:?: Diving tackle might be good for a laugh. You can injure yourself rather than them injuring you. :wink:

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

On normal skill rolls, all of the following are great for Pixies:

Stiff Arm
Diving Tackle (remember you only go prone now if it WORKS, and there is no AV roll for using DT so I'm not sure what McDeth is talking about)
Catch (scattering balls)
Leap
Side Step

The above are currently in the order that I'd take them for a Pixie team.

As for doubles ... well here's my top picks (not really in any order):

Hail Mary Pass
Guard
Strip Ball
Pass Block
Block
Jam
Wings
Dirty Player
Pro

McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

Oh yeah forgot, was it 3rd Edition where you actually had to make a block roll?

Don Khan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Don Khan »

diving tackle seems very cool now for my guys (i wasn't know the new rules, i was still at the 2nd edition for this point :-? )
but for stiff arm, i'm really not sure, cause the oponent could always managed easily to have 3 blocking dices.
Anyway, before thinking to skill, i must think to made my guys survive long enought to have access to skills!!!