MBBL2 Round 3

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

mrinprophet
Star Player
Star Player

MBBL2 Round 3

Post by mrinprophet »

It is halftime and Da Squig Humpaz lead 2-0 versus the Wyndamor Waylanders. The poor Chaos Warriors team has had some pretty bad luck this game. Nothing major but he can't seem to hang onto the ball and my "important" rolls have been great. No serious casualties so far.
I get to receive this half so I should be able to eat the clock. Plus, I am up 10-9 in players thanks to a revamped handicap table.

Reason: ''
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

My Clan Moulder are playing Easy Prey, a gnome team.
"Great" thinks I..."chance to pick up some cas for my Rat Ogres".
A touchback on the kick, so I give the ball to one of the RO's, and start slapping gnomes around. 6 turns later, there's 1 BH from a foul, and one death from a Block (apothed!), there's 4 in the KO'd box, and I go 1 up. My plan of attrition hasn't quite come to fruition yet, my ball carrying RO got pasted, the ball wasn't seen for a while as the crowd merrily threw it around between themselves about 5 times. Anyways 10 Gnomes have 3 turns to score before HT, and I'm just going to try and waste some more of them.
This one's quite a giggle! :D

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Dangerous Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dangerous Dave »

The Kaikans v Shogunates

Well its been pouring with rain for the whole of the first half in the Nipponese play off. The Kaikans received and despite having an overwhelming fan advantage, one of their Ninjas was stunned by a rock thrown from the stands. :cry:

This changed their tactics so a slow drive ensued - waiting for the Ninja to wake up and join the fray. Picking up the ball wasn't a problem for the AG5 Ninja. The Kaikans caged down the right hand side of the pitch having drawn a number of the opponents over to the left hand side of the pitch. The Shogunates rookie Ninja was KO'd. The ball carrying Ninja burst clear and could only be blitzed by an unskilled lineman after 2 GFIs. The lino managed to knock both players down but killed himself in the process! - the apothecary rushed on to administer first aid. The Ag 5 Ninja stood up = 1-0 to The Kaikans.

With 4 turns left, the Shogunates had plenty of time to score. However, good pre-game scouting gave The Kaikans a Perfect Defence. Once the opposing Ninja failed to pick up the ball (3+ rerolled) - The Kaikans rushed forward and a Ninja snaffled it. The Shogunates failed to knock the ball free but had the Ninja fairly well surrounded.

A path was cleared so that the Ninja could dodge away and get to the end zone. However, the Shogunates remaining Ninja was shadowing. The ball carrying Ninja declared a blitz and dodged away. The shadowing Ninja followed. Once the ball carrying Ninja had an assist he turned round and blitzed the following Ninja. However, this Ninja was made of stern stuff and double skulls resulted knocking the ball carrier over. :pissed:

The Shogunates managed to get the ball and dodge away. However the intended receiver couldn't get far enough downfield and fell over. The Shogunates Ninja was blitzed again... another double skulls meant the score remained 1-0 at half time.

The Shogunates now receive but are down to 10 men with one of their Ninjas still KO'd. :lol:

The first few turns of the second half may decide this match.

Dave

Dangerous Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Nipponese - Final Result

The Kaikans 2 Shogunates 0

The second half was a riot in the pouring rain!

On kick off the ball scattered to the Shogunates strong side - it was picked up and caged on the RHS. The Shogunates were going for an equaliser and on O/T win. The Kaikans moved up and surrounded the cage restricting movement. The Shogunates made little impression and had their Guard Sumo to the fore. The Kaikans attacked the Sumo and got him over. This allowed a Ninga to sneak up on the ball carrier who was one in from the touchline - a dodge put The Kaikan's Ninja directly behind the ball carrier. Other Shogunate players couldn't respond due to the numerous tackle zones. The Kaikans had 2 goes at the Ninja ball carrier and managed to KO him (no Ninjas left on pitch for the Shogunates). The ball ran loose and the Shogunates fought back KOing 2 of The Kaikans players. The Kaikans Ninja then dodged for the ball (into 1 TZ) and promptly Ko'd himself on a failed dodge. The ball scattered next to the touchline and next to 2 of the Shogunate players.

A further Kaikan player was KO'd (making it 9 v 7 in favour of the Shogunates). One of the Shogunates tried to pick up the slippery ball and failed. The ball slipped through the hands of several players who tried to grab it and it came to rest next to 3 Shogunate players. The Kaikans Sumo played for the team and blocked his way next to the ball... but surrounded by Shogunates. The Kaikans remaining Ninja went defensive and hovered near by hoping for a mistake. The Shogunates blocked and blitzed although The Kaikan's Sumo stood firm. Needing a 5+ the Shogunates went for the ball. The pick up failed and the ball bounced around and came to rest in field and next to one player from each side.

Sensing an opportunity, The Kaikans blitzed away the Shogunate from the ball and the AG 5 Ninja had a 2+ chance to get the ball with a reroll. He succeeded and ran 10 squares away from the pack. No one could catch him.

That was pretty much it - a very tight second half with chances on both sides. The Shogunates Samurai were seen after the game kneeling down and drawing their swords.........

Dave

mrinprophet
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mrinprophet »

Da Squig Humpaz game ended with a 2-1 victory for DSH. The opposing Chaos Warrior team suffered from some really poor luck. Both sides spent the second half throwing skulls, or double-skulls. My luck turned south and I am tempted to rename my thrower Da Bungler, as he spent most of the 2nd half dropping the ball or throwing it to the other team.
DSH is now 1-1-1. I have yet to score a touchdown this season on offense, which is beginning to concern me. I haven't tried Da Cage yet, but maybe I should.

McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

Drax's Dynamo's vs The Tomb Raiders.

have to say when i drew Martyn's team i was a little concerned. Two Mummy's, Ally Vampire, Regenerated Chaos Warrior, Agility 5 Ghoul to name just a few. However the handicap rolls, have certainly worked in my favour. The Tomb Raiders are constantly under the Eye, and i can foul as often as i like. Now i have previously admitted that i'm not a great fan of fouling as sometimes it detracts from and deprives the team tactically in other areas, if concentrated on too heavily. However to get on even keel, i had decided that i needed to single out a few of The Tomb Raiders and take em out. After turn 1 my team had KO'd a Mummy and 1 Zombie.
And now by Turn 5 to that tally add a KO'd Vampire and a Seriously injured Ghoul.

Like i said, though this has distracted from the tactical side of the game, to the point where the score is 0-0 and no-one has yet collected any star player points. Although i should score shortly and leave the Tomb raiders to get back into the game.

So what do you think, should i lay off, and let The Tomb raiders back into the game, thereby continuing in good spirit, and knowing that his Mummy's will almost certainly pound the tar out of me the second half and probably inflict their own casualties if i let them back into the game, or should i carry on fouling as i want.

Yeah if i carry on i'll probably win, but the Tomb Raiders may not have a side left if the rolls continue in my favour,. Of course i want the Dynamo's a team to be feared, but not as a bunch of blood crazy lunatics.

Hmmmm???? Or do i?

martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Post by martynq »

McDeth wrote:So what do you think, should i lay off, and let The Tomb raiders back into the game, thereby continuing in good spirit, and knowing that his Mummy's will almost certainly pound the tar out of me the second half and probably inflict their own casualties if i let them back into the game, or should i carry on fouling as i want.

Yeah if i carry on i'll probably win, but the Tomb Raiders may not have a side left if the rolls continue in my favour,. Of course i want the Dynamo's a team to be feared, but not as a bunch of blood crazy lunatics.

Hmmmm???? Or do i?
As the opposing coach I also would be interested in the view here. I have to say that I have never seen as much fouling done in a game, but then in the league I used to play in we never really bothered with fouling. (When we were playing 2 minute turns, there wasn't really time to worry about things like fouling when there was the ball to worry about!)

Clearly McDeth has a winning strategy. He shouldn't have to abandon it if he wants to win and if this he feels is the best way to achieve it. However, I'm not certain if I'll put up with this abuse much longer. :P

I have to say that "Grudge Match" together with "Under Scrutiny" is a bit of a killer combination, even without the 3 extra dirty players that Galak added to "Grudge Match". :o

Martyn

Dangerous Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Well I think Galak has gone a bit too far in beefing up those 2 rolls.

Not moving the IGMEOY counter is a big leg up for Under Scrutiny perhaps too much - IMO losing secret weapons and not being able to foul is good enough. Particularly compared to roll 61 - Bribe the Ref where you ignore the first penalty called.

Grudge match on its own is not that powerful - however perhaps it should only be 1 dirty player.

As they stand, the 2 combined are incredibly powerful..... Martyn you have my sympathy!

Dave

martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Post by martynq »

Dangerous Dave wrote:Martyn you have my sympathy!
So now you know why I asked what the penalties for conceding a match were on the MBBL2 mailing list. As far as I can see it, I could concede now, and suffer a -1 penalty to my fan factor, but nothing else particularly bad. If I keep playing then I could easily have no ghouls at all left by the end, provided I'm brave enough to dare putting them on the pitch.

At the moment, my thoughts are that conceding now is the better form of valour. OK, I probably won't qualify for the end of season finals but there is little chance of winning this match anyway now. At least I'd still have a team worth playing with next match.

Martyn

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Well..I'm currently 2-1 down against those damn annoying Gnomes. I'm driving and just trying to batter them into submission before overtime. In fact I chose to throw more Blocks rather than score at one point, and allow time to lose it 3-2. I may yet pay for it, but hell, smackdown time...
Stunty players and Rat Ogres are too tempting a combination, esp. when you get stun after stun and the red mist descends...Wild Animal? Me? WAAAAARGH!!!! :wink:
So yeah, sorry Martyn, but take no prisoners...

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

DO NOT EVER CONCEDE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!!!
GO DOWN FIGHTING!!!
Wuss! :wink:

martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Post by martynq »

Deathwing wrote:So yeah, sorry Martyn, but take no prisoners...
OK, thanks DW. I was waiting for someone to say that. I'll concede.

Cheers,
Martyn

P.S. There's no sarcasm in the above. I really did want someone to tell McDeth to continue in his current manner. That's enough to tell me that he is doing the right thing (which I thought he probably was).

martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Post by martynq »

Deathwing wrote:DO NOT EVER CONCEDE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!!!
GO DOWN FIGHTING!!!
But I could end up with no players? What's the point of that?? At least this way I'll still have a chance next match.

Martyn

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

martynq wrote:
Deathwing wrote:DO NOT EVER CONCEDE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!!!
GO DOWN FIGHTING!!!
But I could end up with no players? What's the point of that?? At least this way I'll still have a chance next match.

Martyn
I'll send you the game file of my Khorne against Pinky's Fimir. If there was ever a case for conceding....goes against the grain though.
Remember Tom Berenger in Platoon?
TAKE THE PAIN!! :smoking:

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Deathwing wrote:Well..I'm currently 2-1 down against those damn annoying Gnomes. I'm driving and just trying to batter them into submission before overtime. In fact I chose to throw more Blocks rather than score at one point, and allow time to lose it 3-2. I may yet pay for it, but hell, smackdown time...
Stunty players and Rat Ogres are too tempting a combination, esp. when you get stun after stun and the red mist descends...Wild Animal? Me? WAAAAARGH!!!! :wink:
Ooops! Now I'm feeling guilty. :oops:
The sorry tale reads as follows:
1 BH, 2x MNG, 3x SI ( 1 niggler, 1 -1 AG and 1 -1 ST), plus one more in the KO'd box. I'm recieving in OT and he has 5 to set up against a full 11 including both Rat Ogres!
Should I do the decent thing and score ASAP without causing any more damage...?
One Rat Ogre's past the magical 6 SPPs, and it's a golden opportunity to get the other one there (currently on 2 SPPs). As it stands my opponent is going to be lining up with 8 next game (without winnings, so maybe more).
This should take my Clan Moulder to 2-0-1. Do I take the chance to pick up Block for my second RO and try and finish as high up in Div B as possible? Bear in mind that WA with no Block or Pro have cost me dearly in the past...
Go on then guys, play Caesar, thumb up or thumb down???? :-?