Tournament newbie questions

Moderator: TFF Mods

Sandwich
Star Player
Star Player

Tournament newbie questions

Post by Sandwich »

Just getting back into the game (played 3rd edition, and recenly the cyanide PC game) and considering going to a tournament... but its kinda scary having not played TT in years :-?
Anyways, a couple of tournament-related questions:

1. what kind of skills do people take in tournaments? I can (I think) come up with a decent line-up at TV1000 and TV1100, but the ressurection format is completely new to me and I'm guessing skill picks would be different to those in a normal league... I'm most likely to be taking chaos or high elf - so I'm guessing things like block and sure hands are most useful, with guard on doubles?

2. how strict are people with miniatures? I've been trying to flll out some of my teams, but for example I've plenty of halflings but no treeman figures, would I be allowed to use dryads instead (they look kinda woody :))? Also, in the case of chaos, do mutations have to be on figures or is that just a GW rule trying to get people to buy more?

Sorry if this should be in one of the tournament boards but I figured this was best place for them...

Reason: ''
Stunty Cup: NAFC 2014, WISB IV
Most TDs: Cambridge Doubles 2011, Carrot Crunch VI, Boudica Bowl
Wooden Spoon: STABB Cup 2
Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: Tournament newbie questions

Post by Darkson »

1. Look in the Tournament Tactics section: viewforum.php?f=43

2. Most independent tournaments don't give a monkeys about figures, as long as it's clear what counts as what. For example, your dryads would be fine. And even GW don't insist that Chaos figs have mutations shown.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

As long as I can recognize one player from the other and see if they are stunned or prone, I dont mind.

Welcome to the forums btw, enjoy your stay.

Don__Vito
Legend
Legend

Post by Don__Vito »

Generally speaking Block, Dodge and Guard tend to be the favourites for free skill choices. Block on big guys is a very popular double skill too.

To be fair though, it depends a lot on the tournament rules for skill selection and the race you're playing. Some races need 'reroll' skills or skills to boost their ball handling more than others. Some tourneys will limit the number of a skill you can take, stopping teams Guard spamming for example. Some tourneys nowadays even allow more or less skills if you go for the widely recognised sub-optimal choices or races. No hard and fast rules really.

Chaos tend to like taking Block a lot, or damage causing skills (Mighty Blow, Piling On, Claw), maybe with one or two ball handling skills. High Elves do well with Dodging Catchers, Blodging Blitzers and maybe a Kicker?

Minis, no ones that bothered. As others have said, you don't need WYSIWYG as long as they are obvious what each one is. Mutations don't need to be modelled unless you feel the urge!

(Welcome to the forums!)

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

Welcome to the forums :)
On the model side of things we have a guy in our league that used a pic n' mix of space marines and imperial guard as a norse team for two seasons and now uses them for orcs. Heck im clipping the weapons off eldar harlequins to use as wood elves :)

Also, don't forget to check what edition rules your using, the pc game runs 5th ed blood bowl but 6th eds been out since then :)