Dauntless

Moderator: TFF Mods

BoomFrog
Rookie
Rookie

Dauntless

Post by BoomFrog »

I'm playing in the Cyanicde perpetual league and there's a lot of Chaos and a decent amount of Orc and Lizards represented. Since my humans aren't too good at dodging away my plan is to get wrestle/dauntless on all my linemen, and maybe a catcher. And get guard on all my blitzers. It seems like I should be able to fight off most orcs and chaos even if they have a lot more natural strength, because they will mark me which gives me the first hit most of the time. Any flaw in my plan?

I did some math for dauntless chance to cause a turnover. Does this seem right? Dauntless seems REALLY strong.

Code: Select all

Block and Dauntless Str 3 Vs Str X
                      Chance of Turnover                          Chance of a Takedown (no dodge)
Str   Assists   No reroll   RR First Fail    RR Block Dice    No reroll   RR First Fail     RR Block Dice
3      0          16.7%     2.8%             2.8%	          33.3%       38.9%         38.9%
4      0          19.0%     5.5%             3.9%              29.6%       37.3%         34.8%
5      0          21.3%     9.0%             5.0%              25.9%       34.6%         30.8%
3      1          2.8%       0.1%             0.1%             55.6%        57.1%         57.1%
4      1          5.1%       0.9%             0.5%             51.9%        56.2%         54.1%
5      1          12.0%     4.1%             3.2%              40.7%        51.6%         42.9%
5      2          7.4%       2.5%             1.0%             48.1%        54.1%         51.0%

Reason: ''
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Re: Dauntless

Post by Grumbledook »

well the issue with dauntless is that it makes no difference when they hit you and against the majority of players it will be useless

even on orcs there are only 5 players that it will help against if you give it to a lineman

fend is usually better so you don't have to dodge away and can reposition easier

that helps with moving a cage and/or you can go and assist a team mate elsewhere, again negating the need for dauntless

guard is far better though requires a double roll for most the human team

dauntless on a catcher can be handy though, mostly would be used when blitzing an opposing thrower/ball carrier deep in their own half, in which case they are usually ST3

having said that, block/wrestle and side step are far more use before even considering dauntless and I think diving tackle would be better most the time as a third choice and then perhaps tackle

it is also likely you got a double on one by this point so they can get guard and you don't really need dauntless

I would say dauntless is one of the skills that probably isn't taken as often as it should be, though it sounds like you are giving it way more credit that its practical application

hope that helps ;]

Ulthuan_Express
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ulthuan_Express »

Dauntless is best on teams where there is no big guy, or no-one of ST4 or higher, giving them a shot at taking down the big guys on their own (All flavours of elves, Amazons, Stunties, etc).

Like Grumbledook, I think you are giving it more credit than it's worth. Stick it on one of your Blitzers, followed by something like MB and Frenzy, and you'll have (as close as regular humans can get to) a Big Guy takedown artist.

Catchers that you use as safeties can benefit from it too, but don't put your faith in it too much.

@sibrady on Twitter. Everywhere else I'm Starblayde.
Commish of the PWCBBL in Burton, UK. Also visit my Blog, for all things geeky, including Blood Bowl.
Teams: Dead and Gooners (Undead) • The Hart Perversion (Chaos Pact)
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

I can't really ever see much of a case for dauntless on a human blitzer, there are too many other great strength skills for them to take instead

especially when everyone else on the team can just take dauntless anyway and they don't have access to strength skills

Ullis
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Ullis »

I think there might be a problem with some of your calculations. With a 1-d block (two chances to get a POW) you have a chance of 33,3% with one dice. With a reroll it goes up to 55% (1-4/6*4/6) whereas you have the odds as 38,9%. Couldn't check the other numbers but there's clearly an error there.

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

Agree with 'dook, Human Blitzers have too many other tasty skills they can access.

Dauntless is better on a lineman or maybe a surprise catcher skill.

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
Ulthuan_Express
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ulthuan_Express »

I suggested putting it on the Blitzer as they start with Block already, and a 1 in 3 chance of a lineman pointlessly Dauntlessing up to Block a Troll isn't something I'm willing to go for!

@sibrady on Twitter. Everywhere else I'm Starblayde.
Commish of the PWCBBL in Burton, UK. Also visit my Blog, for all things geeky, including Blood Bowl.
Teams: Dead and Gooners (Undead) • The Hart Perversion (Chaos Pact)
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

me either, that's why I don't usually bother blocking the troll and why I don't often take dauntless

BoomFrog
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BoomFrog »

Ullis wrote:I think there might be a problem with some of your calculations. With a 1-d block (two chances to get a POW) you have a chance of 33,3% with one dice. With a reroll it goes up to 55% (1-4/6*4/6) whereas you have the odds as 38,9%. Couldn't check the other numbers but there's clearly an error there.
I am assuming you only reroll if you got a skull so the chance to knock down is 2/6+1/6*2/6. If you going for the BC I could see rerolling push to hope for a Pow, but otherwise I'd be expecting to use these numbers.

@everyone else: The problem is that I am facing these amazingly farmed perpetual league teams, especially chaos. I just faced a chaos team with two Str 5 CW, 2 Str 4 CW and a Str 4 Beast.

Even just 5 Str 4+ players seems like enough to make dauntless very worthwhile in mass, otherwise I'm taking a lot more hits, because I can't threaten my opponent. I'm probably going to try it anyway :p

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

guess in a farmed league with not all the races and not all the skills working things are going to change a bit