Humans
41%

Total votes: 56

Stallard
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Should i play humans?

Post by Stallard »

Hey Everyone, first time poster here....

I started playing BB about a year ago, and I went with humans by the advice of our (then) commissioner, and I've had a blast.
The static rerolls are, i think, what really makes the team. That being said, Nuffle can either make your long bomb look easy, or shove you off a cliff, again, and again, and again. This can work to your favor, as at times, if you really need a desperation play to work, you've got a bit of an out. I'm not sure how many time's i've made an opposing coach look at me like i'm either stupid or have gods own luck, but the rerolls help make that happen. OTOH, if you have one turn to score left and you pass the ball into your catcher's face, then you at least tried to make something happen.

On the blocking side of things, I find I have to really pick my battles, which I've started to learn to do over a number of matches. Yes, it might look really cool if you can beat the snot out of a treeman, but its pretty darn unlikely you're going to break his armor. One of the guys who got me into BB suggested I get as much guard as I can on my team, and once I found out how useful it was, I never looked back. If the enemy ball carrier's out on his own (admittedly unlikely, but it happens), the mobility of your blitzers can put you right in his face. If a cage is rolling down the pitch, you can (if you're a bit lucky), catch up to it if you can stymie it for a turn.

I've found the switch like aspects of the Humans to work out really well, if you're able to adapt. In a grind heavy league, I was able to survive and win about half the time (this is against a number of much more experienced coaches). In a mixed bag league of agility and grind, I was able to still win my fair share of games (fair share being that I was new and won more against my fellow newbie coaches). There was one match I had early on against the league's meatgrinder team (Mighty blow, claw, jump up, piling on type stuff) and I survived that beating with only a few permanent injuries.

All in all, i think "Dem hummies" are a great team if it fits your playstyle.

Reason: ''
dboeren
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dboeren »

I would pick Humans. Not because I think they're better (quite the opposite actually), but because I think they're more interesting to play and will make you a better player.

Orcs are straightforward. You load up on Black Orcs and Blitzers and you beat on things. Yes, occasionally you might have your Troll throw a Goblin for shenanigans, but overall it's a relatively slow and bashy team.

Humans are a lot more dynamic, you've got to be ready to change gears and react to the opposing team with your superior speed and more ability to make big plays. On paper, it may seem that Orcs can pass as well as Humans, but their speed hampers them and the pass is going to seem less worthwhile so you're less likely to attempt it.

Because Humans have to adapt more to the other team's playstyle (playing opposite of it as others have said) I think you learn a lot more about how to play well. You don't get to put your team on autopilot and bash, bash, bash your way down the field, you've got to be on the lookout for good opportunities and be ready to fight, run, cage, or pass as the situation demands.

My first team is Chaos, but I'm planning on building a Human team for my second. With two added werewolf models I should be able to use them as Norse as well.

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

dboeren wrote:I would pick Humans. Not because I think they're better (quite the opposite actually), but because I think they're more interesting to play and will make you a better player.
This, using humans is in my opinion the best way to get to grips with all aspects of BB.

It can be difficult so I’d advise against it for those who are the new guy in an experienced league or who can’t handle an uphill battle. But persevering will pay off and once you’ve got the hang of humans you will be better able to use any other tier 1 team.

After using humans for a season or 2 dodging and passing will seem easy when using elves and you will marvel at how resilient your Orcs are whilst they smash the other team into the KO and cas box.

I don’t think they are boring either as you have quite a few skill options and can tailor them to the opposition you face. I would recommend spamming guard on the Ogre 1st skill on at least 3 Blitzers (MB on the 4th and then tackle or guard) and doubles on linemen and maybe throwers if one already has dodge.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Stallard
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Stallard »

I'm starting to think of the human variant teams, like Amazons or Norse. Amazons look amazing with all their fancy blodge and cheap players. Norse look interesting, but for some reason, everyone having block doesnt seem that appealing, dont ask me why...I really dont have a good answer for that. One item i noticed, that while both teams are certainly good in a scrap, they're dominated by players that have AR 7 and AGI 3, which gives me a bit of a pause.

Flipping through the rulebook, i come upon the high elves, with their smelly ways, AR 8 and Agi 4, and more expensive players, which if you're not going to have a big guy, this seems like an agi team to consider.

Flipping through the team rosters a bit more, most of the teams center around some sort of variation on other teams with some basic themes based on mixes of grind and agility. Underworld looks amazing, until you think about animosity.

I suppose i'm just blubbering on a bit...I think its really cool there's so much variation in teams. What looks like a small alteration may be a big consideration on the style of play one might choose.

Something i'm not quite too sure on...what is the main difference between an elf team and a high elf team?

Hitonagashi
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hitonagashi »

Stallard wrote:I'm starting to think of the human variant teams, like Amazons or Norse. Amazons look amazing with all their fancy blodge and cheap players. Norse look interesting, but for some reason, everyone having block doesnt seem that appealing, dont ask me why...I really dont have a good answer for that. One item i noticed, that while both teams are certainly good in a scrap, they're dominated by players that have AR 7 and AGI 3, which gives me a bit of a pause.

Flipping through the rulebook, i come upon the high elves, with their smelly ways, AR 8 and Agi 4, and more expensive players, which if you're not going to have a big guy, this seems like an agi team to consider.

Flipping through the team rosters a bit more, most of the teams center around some sort of variation on other teams with some basic themes based on mixes of grind and agility. Underworld looks amazing, until you think about animosity.

I suppose i'm just blubbering on a bit...I think its really cool there's so much variation in teams. What looks like a small alteration may be a big consideration on the style of play one might choose.

Something i'm not quite too sure on...what is the main difference between an elf team and a high elf team?
Without meaning to sound facetious: armour 8.

A High Elf team can engage the side of a cage with blodging sidesteppers and pretty much pin it in place. They also won't take anywhere near the casualty level that pro elves will.

On the other hand, the pro elf offense has multiple NoS catchers....if you've ever tried to stop 4 blodging NoS players who just sprint into your backfield and wait for a 2+ throw, 2+ pass, and then blitz away, it's really really not easy. In addition, sidestep blitzers are fun..but if they go down you can struggle.

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Amazons are one of the best teams starting off, until you run into tackle. You will walk all over a rookie chaos team (and if they are slaanesh and your zons wear heels will probably enjoy it) but both dwarf teams will give you a very hard time.

As you gain TV and the other teams get tackle you will start to find things get harder as despite your players being cheap they leave the pitch all too easily and you can only start with 11 on the field. If you are in a TT league and are doing well then the other teams will load up on tackle, tentacles and Diving Tackle too.

Norse have some of the same issue but are a little more survivable at higher TV’s thanks to some ST4+ and AV8 players. The linemen are great fodder and fend can be really useful to help keep them on the pitch since they start with block. All that frenzy can be a 2 edged sword and you will be a real surfing danger but can frenzy yourself into a 1D or -2D block.

High Elves compare very well to Humans as you gain AG4 and agility access across the board, ST3 catchers for the loss of dodge, safe throw throwers for the loss of sure hands and lose 2 blitzers as well as strength access and a big guy. With AV8 and easy access to blodge they can be more survivable than humans though and are a team I really like. Dark Elves are usually seen as slightly better since they can have 4 Blitzers and can start with a frenzy player, plus merc assassins can be useful to induce vs AV7 blodgers.

The Pro Elf team was based on the old 2nd edition Elf team and were supposed to replace high elves but players didn’t want to lose High Elves (or undead who were due to be replaced by necros) so instead they were added. Pro elves are scoring machines and challenge wood elves and skaven as the scoringest team but can suffer on defence as their linemen die very easily.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
XAos
Rookie
Rookie

Post by XAos »

Stallard wrote:.. for some reason, everyone having block doesnt seem that appealing, dont ask me why...I really dont have a good answer for that.
Could be based on memories of the other team which has Block...
Personally I think it's Tackle which makes the Dwarves boring, since it shuts down too many of the dodgeing+passing teams.

Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

Play any team without a beard and we are good (actually you are welcome to play Chaos Dwarves).

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.