Total votes: 56

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Re: Should i play humans?

Post by inkpwn »

sann0638 wrote:
Smurf wrote:2. 2 Blitzers have got dodge, one has AG4 and another has AV9

AV9? MA 8, surely!
I agree, the high mv is one of the things that attracted me to the human team, I would always take the mv up on one instead of av.

Reason: ''
Smurf
mattgslater's court jester

Post by Smurf »

Why? I'm trying to prevent them from being TD magnets.

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)
inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

Smurf wrote:Why? I'm trying to prevent them from being TD magnets.

Ah I see. Good idea but not my style, I love fast players and 1 point of MV is a lot better than a point of AV from my experiance.

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

I think I am going to stay with humans, they feel like a good fit. Just played a game vs starting chaos pact (troll, ogre, skaven,goblin, dark elf, 6 marauders ). The game had a very natural flow to it. Appart from my 2nd catcher dying it was a great match (he had 8 players on the ko box in the end) the ability to switch objectives between bash and run on the fly never felt more natural and all the re-roll skill really help.

Progression wise I was thinking:

Ogre: stand firm, guard, piling on. Double: block

Blitzers: a mix of dodge, mighty blow and tackle or sidestep

Linemen : a mix of wrestle block,sidestep and guard

Catchers: block, sure feet, kick off return, sidestep

Throwers: block, dodge, sure feet

The first person (non ogre) to skill up will be getting kick. I want to go with a decent amount of defensive skills to open holes and keep my fragile players on the pitch.

nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

KICK WINS GAMES!

Ahem.

Yous skill development seems reasonable, but be aware that dodge is a doubles choice for everything but catchers, as is sidestep. Guard is a doubles for everyone who isnt a blitzer or a ogre.

That said, have you considered guard for the blitzers?in many ways, it counts as a mobility skill, as it means that you need to commit fewer players for the same effect.

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

I agree kick kicks ass.

I do like the idea of guard on a blitzer, the mobility complements it well.

Duce
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Duce »

I did 4 guard then 4 mighty blow on my blitzers to firstly allow me to get better blocks and then to put people off the field. helped alot in the first season (8 Games).

Linesmen got block, a kicker and throwers both got block, so most are now close to or have 1 skill and the blitzers are closing on 2nd and 3rd skills.

hoping Ogre rolls a double for block come his secnod skill and again for 3rd so I can give him block and then pro.

I've enjoyed playing the humans, loads of different playstyles to learn and situations to deal with, wouldnt trade them as my main team for the world :P

Northern Ireland Blood Bowl Experience - NIBBLE
http://nibble.playsboard.com/forum.htm
nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

See, I wouldn't put pro on the ogre. I'd rather take dodge. Third skill break tackle. He's mobile, he's hard to knock over, he's a backup ballcarrier.

I also like wrestle/fend on my linemen, but thats a style thing.

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

Though that's not how your last ogre turned out is it?

Duce
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Duce »

nazgob wrote:See, I wouldn't put pro on the ogre. I'd rather take dodge. Third skill break tackle. He's mobile, he's hard to knock over, he's a backup ballcarrier.

I also like wrestle/fend on my linemen, but thats a style thing.
Hum maybe, would be nice to get dodge, block and pro, def break tackle is taken if I get a normal skill.

Northern Ireland Blood Bowl Experience - NIBBLE
http://nibble.playsboard.com/forum.htm
Asperon Thorn
Legend
Legend

Post by Asperon Thorn »

I go with all guard on my blitzers and the Ogre for first skill. I turn the five of them into a blocking line that I can tuck my ball handler into.

If I am playing against a bashy team it is fun to mire them into a battle in the middle before you explode with a line of guard that moves at MA7. Get a catcher downfield and move it move it.

Asperon Thorn

Looking for Fair and Balanced Playtesting of the DE Runner 7347 Surehands G,A,Pa 90K - Outdated and done.
caeser-22
Rookie
Rookie

Post by caeser-22 »

My first years tourney team were humans ,barring the coach they performed reasonably well personally if you can afford a second thrower(can't remember of hand)instead of a linesman(same stats line but with skills)i'd always take one.

On paper they should be able to play just about any team but their average stats are just that average, not bashy enough to go toe to toe with other bashy teams (so try to outpass/manouvre them) and not agile enough to move the ball efffectively (so bash em)somehow they just lack that wow factor that other teams have.

I've found the ogre can make or break the team providing he doesn't bonehead of course block on him is very nasty,and break tackle can be very effective providing he can get the ball to start with.

Whatever roster you decide on they should perform fairly well against most teams just don't expect too much from them.

TheDoc
Star Player
Star Player

Post by TheDoc »

I would obviously say humans, but Orcs are a fantastic team to start with and a regular tourny favourite of many coaches. If you want to handle to ball more and throw etc. play humans if you want to bash more play orcs.

it's all good!

B SIDE
Veteran
Veteran

Post by B SIDE »

I played a few games with a Human team in the last few months. (I played an Orc team for years, of course.) I just haven't had as much fun with them as I have with other teams. They're just so... flavorless. I gave my Ogre break tackle as his first skill, hoping for some entertaining playmaking possibilities. We'll see if that helps.

But if I had to chose a team between these two, I'd say Orcs are a better team and more fun to play. You can shout WAAAARGH every time you blitz, for example. And your big guy can literally eat your own players- how awesome is that?

Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito.
Eski
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Eski »

humans all the way.. blizters with guard and MB
thrower accurate and Kick Off return
1 catcher fend jump up
at least 1 lineman with Kick.. kick does win games
other lineman with all sorts like Tackle and Wrestle
Orgre break tackleand grab or guard but I done rely on orges on game play due to risk of Bonehead..

more enjoyable to play humansto the flex to sack most teams..

http://www.bristolvanguard.co.uk
Look Up Bristol Vanguards Gert Bowl Tournment near end of July 2012
"MB and Piling On! Rerolls need not apply!"