How do you tell your players apart?

Moderator: TFF Mods

Greyhound
Star Player
Star Player

Re: How do you tell your players apart?

Post by Greyhound »

Hey no worries, many coaches, whom I appreciate greatly play like that. It bites when you get caught but you learn quickly to check your opponent skills first when playing them.

I have absolutely no problem with my opponent playing like this, it is correct to assume that it's the coach's prerogative to check the skills of the players before dodging.

I am just a nasty coach and I don't want to give my opponent the excuse "I could have won if I realised you had diving tackle". I want my opponent to cower for the "dice were not with me this game" excuse. :evil:

Reason: ''
burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

Thanks for that. I was starting to worry that I was sounding like a heartless a-hole. I try not to go with "the dice were not with me this game" excuse. I usually just admit that my coaching sucks.

Adam Souza
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Adam Souza »

I used a standard hole punch on some thin plasticard and then glued the circles to my bases. I then paint and flock the base whatever way I want, leaving the circle for the players team number.

Buggrit
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Buggrit »

Greyhound wrote:Hey no worries, many coaches, whom I appreciate greatly play like that. It bites when you get caught but you learn quickly to check your opponent skills first when playing them.

I have absolutely no problem with my opponent playing like this, it is correct to assume that it's the coach's prerogative to check the skills of the players before dodging.
Exactly.... if you're not sure what skills a player on the opposing team has, you can always ask... several times a game if you need to!! (and sometimes I do!! LOL

G.W.A. NATION!
Most CAS Albion Coast Trophy 2 & 3 Stunty Cup Thrudball 2015 Wooden Spoon Crumb Bowl 2 & NAF Championship 2012

SAWBBL's Cutlery King
Catalyst32
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Catalyst32 »

I use the shoes and hands/gloves the player wears to tell who is who.
For most positionals you only need 4 ways to differentiate between your players.
Take Humans for example... you will want to field 4 Blitzers most of the time.
Let's assume my colors for the team are Black, White, and Yellow.
I will paint both of the shoes of 1 Blitzer White and the Gloves of a 2nd Blitzer White. My next Blitzer will have his left hand and foot painted and the other his right hand and foot.
Then I will leave a clue to myself on the roster calling them White Shoes, White Foot, White Gloves, White Hands, Lefty, Righty, etc... Sometimes I make that part of the players nickname like "Lefty" McGee or Billy "White Shoes" Johnson.

With Linemen you need a few more options... for example 1 player could have both feet and bot hands painted white... another could have his helmet painted white.

Or you can mix up the color even further... White Shoes, Black Shoes, Yellow Shoes, etc... Giving yourself and opponent ways to identify each player is easy of you plan for it in advance. It only takes a few modifications here and there to the uniform color scheme to make it happen.

lucasluckydelux
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lucasluckydelux »

I would definitely not warn someone about "diving tackle". My players have numbers on their bases and my opponent has my roster and he can also ask before dodging. I think the surprise is what makes it more useful. Otherwise having this ability loses most of its interest and if I must warn my opponent I would take another one. Same applies to lots of other defensive abilities: sidestep, stand firm, tackle, prehensive tail etc.

B SIDE
Veteran
Veteran

Post by B SIDE »

I've actually screwed up once or twice with my skaven team- they have numbered shoulder pads, and the 5 and 6 on the shoulders of two of my Gutter Runners look very similar from the wrong angle. It sucks to declare a blitz, make the move, then as you go to roll dauntless against a 3 STR lineman, realize that you've moved the wrong rat.

I also have a GR with Leap and a -1 AV. This is a bad combo. But my opponents always assume they need to roll 8's to break armour. I am sure to remind them whenever it matters. (Like today in our league finals.)

I've been thinking about painting each player a little differently, but they die so often that it just seems pointless to do so. And I don't much like the look of skill rings. So I just have to keep my eyes on their numbers and pay close attention.

Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito.
feeder
Experienced
Experienced
Location: Hatching a dastardly plan, like a bird with a dastardly egg.

Post by feeder »

I paint my Orc's name on his base. Asking an Orc to count to sixteen is asking for a punch in the face.

Jackolas
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Jackolas »

I use the litlle 10mm railway numbers and then paint the bases depending on what they are.

ravyn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ravyn »

I always give the opponent a copy of my roster. my numbering system is a little different. I use a letter and a number to differentiante. take my norse my thrower is T1 the Runners are R1 and R2 Beserkers are B1 and B2 etc... then i mark the roster the same way so there is no confusion

ImageApprentice Blasphemer - Nuffle Blasphemer's Association
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

How do you tell your players apart?

DNA testing.... ?!?

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
the.tok
Veteran
Veteran

Post by the.tok »

A good way is using square bases. That way you can mix diagonal and straight feet position. I usually use a pattern like "all the the diag feet have guard" or something. I also use different bases colors and mix painted/half-painted players (a good way to justify my laziness for painting :) )

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

the.tok wrote:A good way is using square bases.
Square bases????

Be ready for some tradionalists to come wading in with their size 13's!

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
the.tok
Veteran
Veteran

Post by the.tok »

Darkson wrote:
the.tok wrote:A good way is using square bases.
Square bases????

Be ready for some tradionalists to come wading in with their size 13's!
I don't see the problem with it ???? they are convenient to me
Have I committed some kind of blasphemy? :wink:

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

the.tok wrote:Have I committed some kind of blasphemy? :wink:
To some, yes. :wink:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.