How do you tell your players apart?

Moderator: TFF Mods

sayguh
Rookie
Rookie

How do you tell your players apart?

Post by sayguh »

From what I've read, in league play every player has their own stats and name etc.

So like... if you have 5 linemen, how do you know which one is which?

Are you supposed to paint them all uniquely? Or do you just know when you setup the field that the one on the left is "Mike" and the one on the right is "Bill". It would seem they would get mixed up a lot during a match.

A lot of the teams I've seen painted on ebay an stuff don't seem to be unique.

Do you tell your team mates which one is which beforehand? Or if the first lineman makes a good play to gain star points, you say "Ok, this is Mike" :)

Any info on this is appreciated.

Reason: ''
inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Re: How do you tell your players apart?

Post by inkpwn »

You paint numbers on the player bases.simple.

cyke
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cyke »

Numbered bases or if you're really skilled number uniforms.

I've seen painted numbers just use 1-13 or whatever matches up with their roster sheet. Or I've seen them use actual sports numbers like 87 for a lineman or 2 for a thrower and the like, where the player's number does not match the roster at all.

dsavillian
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dsavillian »

I use numbers on the base for my reference and little colored paper-markers ("dots") with letters indicating what unique skills they have so that my opponent can see without asking.

I don't mark the starting skills (like blodge/leap on a wardancer), but I'll mark things like block/dodge/guard on linemen.

Some people use skill rings as well... little colored plastic rings that fit around the base.

Coach of the Fancy Lads
Blood Bowl League of Calgary
http://twitter.com/bloodbowlcgy
@dsavillian on twitter

It's called Blood Bowl, not Fun Bowl
burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

These are great ways to ade you but keep in mind that it is equally as important to not ade your oponent. IMO part of the strategy of BB is giving yourself every benefit you can. You are likely not going to easily be able to remember your opponents skills and therefore have to ask or reference the roster. I feel memory is your best friend in this instance because there will be a handful of times that your opponent forgets that your Orge has block or that your lino is ST4 and these moments will cause an early turnover.

Just to be clear (before someone frowns upon me for saying this) I'm not suggesting to be decietful in any way. You should always play fair...but it is well within the limits of fair to not make life easier on your opponent. :)

Ulthuan_Express
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ulthuan_Express »

burgun824 wrote:there will be a handful of times that your opponent forgets that your Orge has block or that your lino is ST4 and these moments will cause an early turnover.
So when they go to one-dice block your Lino, and you say 'Ahem, two dice, I choose,' would you let them take that declaration back, as they didn't know in the first place, or press them to follow up with what they've declared?

@sibrady on Twitter. Everywhere else I'm Starblayde.
Commish of the PWCBBL in Burton, UK. Also visit my Blog, for all things geeky, including Blood Bowl.
Teams: Dead and Gooners (Undead) • The Hart Perversion (Chaos Pact)
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

numbering all your players is the best way to make them unique like others have said

I personally like using these plastic numbers on the base ring

http://www.impactminiatures.com/index.p ... id=SP_SAN3

also using skill rings is common in tournaments to mark out players (coloured plastic ring that fits around the base of the figure) you can mark out certain players with them to help with remembering which is ST4 or whatever
http://www.impactminiatures.com/index.p ... skillrings

as for those times when someone rolls thinking it was a two dice block when it was meant to be a one die, then let them reroll it (though be consistent, if they rolled double skull and you want them to take one of those, you have to do the same if they roll double POW) or just take it back (this is what I usually do, though it doesn't come up often)

if they haven't even rolled the dice and announced like in UE post, then they can take that back same with any action (note you don't have to, it is just common friendliness)

if a someone does a block though and forgets a player has block or something though, then that just stands, tough luck

even just having one set of skill rings (preferably one set each) can make things much easier though

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

Ulthuan_Express wrote:
burgun824 wrote:there will be a handful of times that your opponent forgets that your Orge has block or that your lino is ST4 and these moments will cause an early turnover.
So when they go to one-dice block your Lino, and you say 'Ahem, two dice, I choose,' would you let them take that declaration back, as they didn't know in the first place, or press them to follow up with what they've declared?
That would depend on how much of pr!ck I thought they were being prior to that moment and whether I wanted to be a butthole to them or not. Typically I'd let them take it back if they wanted.

It's all about leverage baby. :)

Ulthuan_Express
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ulthuan_Express »

burgun824 wrote:
Ulthuan_Express wrote:
That would depend on how much of pr!ck I thought they were being prior to that moment and whether I wanted to be a butthole to them or not. Typically I'd let them take it back if they wanted.

It's all about leverage baby. :)
Ah, that's ok, for a moment I envisaged you forcing blocks left, right and centre, to the chagrin of all opponents concerned :D
Grumbledook wrote:if a someone does a block though and forgets a player has block or something though, then that just stands, tough luck
The number of times I've had a blodging Human Catcher, and my opponent has rolled a Both Down and yelled "I've got block, no TD for you!", to which I've replied "He's got block, too," and then dodged for a TD next turn...

I think there's certainly a sportsmanship difference between pointing out a skill that will negatively affect an opponent's straight dice roll, and pointing out something that will be affecting what number of dice they roll when a block or whatever is declared (extra/less block dice for ST, Guard, then stuff like Foul Appearance, Tentacles on a moving blitz, etc).

@sibrady on Twitter. Everywhere else I'm Starblayde.
Commish of the PWCBBL in Burton, UK. Also visit my Blog, for all things geeky, including Blood Bowl.
Teams: Dead and Gooners (Undead) • The Hart Perversion (Chaos Pact)
cyke
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cyke »

I feel if both parties aren't aware of any modifiers and skills that could affect an action before any dice is thrown, then it's poor sportsmandship. Maybe a person didn't count the proper number of tacklezones for an assist or a dodge, or forgot a player had a certain skill. It's not a big deal to just inform your opponent of the current situation and then allow him to make a knowledgable choice.

It's not in the rulebook, but it certainly does make a person less of an ass. And frankly, I'd rather win becuase I out-played my opponent than by off-board underhandedness. On-board underhandedness is stil fair game.

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

burgun824 wrote:Just to be clear (before someone frowns upon me for saying this) I'm not suggesting to be decietful in any way. You should always play fair...but it is well within the limits of fair to not make life easier on your opponent. :)

Greyhound
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Greyhound »

burgun824 wrote:Just to be clear (before someone frowns upon me for saying this) I'm not suggesting to be decietful in any way. You should always play fair...but it is well within the limits of fair to not make life easier on your opponent. :)
I play the opposite way, i tell my opponent before he dodges. "Careful, my player has diving tackle you may want to finish getting your other players up first". I also painted a little red cross on the base of my -1AV saurus so that my opponent know who to hit as priority.

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

Greyhound wrote:I play the opposite way, i tell my opponent before he dodges. "Careful, my player has diving tackle you may want to finish getting your other players up first". I also painted a little red cross on the base of my -1AV saurus so that my opponent know who to hit as priority.
Does this happen right after you help a little old lady across the street but right before you leave the Tournament to go help serve soup at the homeless shelter? :D

dsavillian
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dsavillian »

Greyhound wrote: I play the opposite way, i tell my opponent before he dodges. "Careful, my player has diving tackle you may want to finish getting your other players up first".

I do this as well. I feel that it's much more sporting and friendlier than a "win at all costs" attitude.

I also don't want someone to dodge away from my player, only to be reminded that I have Diving Tackle *after* he rolls... It avoids the "well, I wouldn't have done that if I knew that you had <x skill>" arguments.

Coach of the Fancy Lads
Blood Bowl League of Calgary
http://twitter.com/bloodbowlcgy
@dsavillian on twitter

It's called Blood Bowl, not Fun Bowl
burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

Alright...I give up. I dug this hole for myself so I'll take my verbal beating.

The game is to have fun first and foremost and I really didn't mean to imply otherwise. Looking back on what I've posted it does seem that my suggestion is a bit cut throat especially considering that I would also not heed my own tactical advise 99% of the time. I should not have been so quick to suggest such underhanded methods. Outside of that I have no excuse for sounding so hard core.

The reply posts were mostly for fun, so I apologize for ruffling any feathers if that was lost in translation.