3rd edition BB teams and composition

Moderator: TFF Mods

popsical
Experienced
Experienced

3rd edition BB teams and composition

Post by popsical »

Hi folks, im new to 3rd ed BB, i played 1st and up till now 2nd edition.
I love 2nd edition dearly but finding opponents these days is really hard.

Ive taken a brief look at the free download rules of 3rd edition BB and it looks good.
However the team selection options are/seem limiting, as an example i have a mongrel horde style team and an ogre team which have a mixture of races in them. In the list options of 3rd ed it seems from my quick look that i cant mix players races as much as before.
Now before i get lambasted for doing such a thing, 2nd ed had rules for animosity and dislike that stopped players doing things with other races so you may have the best mix of stats but an elf would not pass to an ork etc, so it wasnt as beardy as it seems.

I love the way this meant the team diversity was almost limitless, my question is does 3rd ed cater for wacky combo players like me?

Reason: ''
Coach
Experienced
Experienced

Re: 3rd edition BB teams and composition

Post by Coach »

First of all welcome back to the game popsical!

Also the rules aren't really 3rd edition any more. That was what came in the box in 1994, though the game isn't much different now from the core rules back then.

No one really knows for sure what "edition" we are on any more, safest thing to say is the CRP rules (compeition rules pack) which is what it sounds like you have downloaded from Games Workshop.

To answer your question you can't mix races as before as that really unbalances the games and allows you to cicumvent the disadvantages that each race has.

There is however a couple of options that aren't entirely official by Games Workshop standards, though they are approved by the BBRC (the group of guys who helped GW finalise the current rules) and also the NAF (the players worldwide association. You will find these three extra races are allowed at nearly every tabletop tournament you go to. They are the Slann (not mixed), Underworld (mix of Skaven and Goblins) and Chaos Pact (mostly Chaos players with some from other races as options).

The rules for these you can find at http://www.thenaf.net/files/NewTeams_LRB6.pdf so hopefully that will give you what you like. Overall though the game is currently the best it ever has been and I think you will still enjoy it, even if you can't play exactly like you were used to doing.

popsical
Experienced
Experienced

Post by popsical »

Ok, from what I can see from ny read of the team lists, all my teams are illegal in 3rd ed, bar my dark elves.
I have:
Werewolf team: werewolves and human linemen.
Halfling team: 14 halflings and an ogre (thrud)
Dark elves: 16 dark elves.
Ogre team: 6 ogres, 1 human, 1 goblin, 1 ork, 1 skaven.

Can anyone please provide me with a list of teams I can do and they're variants, coz I'm starting to feel a bit constricted.
Thanks.

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

none of those teams have been legal since 1993

you will just have to use house rules if you wanted to still use something like that, though I don't think mixed race teams are very popular any more

there are still 24 different races you can use and there is likely to be some overlap in abilities somewhere I would think

the werewolf team you could take necromantic
the halfling team wouldn't be much different (thrudd was removed cause GW don't have a licence for him any more)
dark elves as dark elves
Ogre team, you could either use an ogre team or perhaps chaos pact as linked above

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

popsical wrote:Can anyone please provide me with a list of teams I can do and they're variants, coz I'm starting to feel a bit constricted.
Thanks.
Coach gave you all the legal lists in his post (the 21 rosters in the CRP, and the 3 "new" teams downloadable from the NAF). If none of those are to your taste, you're looking at having to houserule something.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Buggrit
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Buggrit »

I'd use your werewolf mini's as vampires and human lino's as chew toys... erm, Thralls

Your ogres could still be fielded with the addition of some goblin/snotling/gnoblar etc... mini's to represent the snotlings and your 'Fling team just needs some treemen/kin/dryads to round it out.

Although I'm fairly sure most players wouldn't object to you using Ogres as mini's to represent them until you found alt mini's

G.W.A. NATION!
Most CAS Albion Coast Trophy 2 & 3 Stunty Cup Thrudball 2015 Wooden Spoon Crumb Bowl 2 & NAF Championship 2012

SAWBBL's Cutlery King
popsical
Experienced
Experienced

Post by popsical »

Ok so im persevering :D

My Dark Elves have 4 catchers so im gonna use the elf team to represent them, it seems more fitting.
My halflings will lose thrud and gain 2 more stunties, so 16.
My ogres will gain thrudd and lose a cyclops, becoming 6 ogres and 10 snotties (must buy).
My werewolf team will be vampire list, 6 wolves (vamps) 10 lino's (thralls).
And finally with my remaining figs i will use the ork list to re-create my mongrel horde by proxy, i have a half ork thrower, a human thrower, a cyclops (troll), a gobbo, a human blitzer, an ork blitzer and will buy a few more figs to flesh out the team.

Does anyone think i will have trouble with these teams and proxies?
Ps do the big guys still count as two players on the pitch or roster?
Thanks for the help and suggestions so far guys, really helped :D

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

that should be fine

hardly anyone has a problem with using proxies, as long as it isn't too hard to tell what is what

big guys count as one player on the roster and only take up one square on the pitch now (not four squares)

Buggrit

Post by Buggrit »

Also, you can use your Ogres (from the ogre team) as Treeman Proxies on the 'Fling list, without them you lose out on the strength and OTS / 'Fling flinging opportunity!!

G.W.A. NATION!
Most CAS Albion Coast Trophy 2 & 3 Stunty Cup Thrudball 2015 Wooden Spoon Crumb Bowl 2 & NAF Championship 2012

SAWBBL's Cutlery King
popsical
Experienced
Experienced

Post by popsical »

How do we deal with the base covering 4 squares? lol
Cant do the treeman with halfies thing, to me it doesnt fit.

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

the base doesn't cover all 4 squares

just put them in the middle of teh square, there will be some overlap

feel free to re-base them on smaller bases if you like, though I just go with the standard ones and position the minis as best you can

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

popsical wrote:My halflings will lose thrud and gain 2 more stunties, so 16.
!) !) !) 2 more "TREES" <<hint, hint>>

Stout Youngblood
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Stout Youngblood »

popsical wrote:...Cant do the treeman with halfies thing, to me it doesnt fit.
:o Wow! Playing a Halfling team without any trees? You are in for a world of hurt...

popsical
Experienced
Experienced

Post by popsical »

My halfies can handle it, lol.

Ok so my teams are done, now to the other bits.
I assume that GW will have made my 1st and 2nd ed pitches illegal, probably finding some amazing piece of logic to justify the dire neccessity of an extra square.
Likewise with the range ruler and scatter template, obviously these won't of changed to make more money (heaven forbid)

So what do I need to proceed?

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

If you do a search on these boards you can find custom printable pitches. Just bring the file to your local print shop and have them run one off for you...that will get you started for a field.

You no longer need a range ruler for throwing. There is a table that gives you the ranges now. I did an image search for it and found one on this website to show you what you're looking for.

http://www.heroesofaudioland.com/bloodbowl/index.htm

There's a lot of useful stuff here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/ ... g-rulebook

Check out Impact miniatures (http://www.impactminiatures.com/index.php?option=home) and ffstore (http://www.ffstore.it/) for other good teams, bits, and pieces.