How do you move a cage?

Moderator: TFF Mods

the.tok
Veteran
Veteran

Re: How do you move a cage?

Post by the.tok »

One thing That helped me greatly was to take a moment in the beginning of each to analyze a few parameters:
-What is the score?/who will receive next half?
-How many turns left until the turn I am planning to score?
-How many squares left to get to the endzone?
-MA of the player holding the ball
-Number of players on the pitch for each side
-Identify players I will have a shot at bringing down

According to that and the position, I set myself a target "speed = 2 squares/turn" or something like that. I take extra care doing it the first turn after my cage has been formed.

That way you can manage the clock more effectively.
If your playing dwarves for instance, a typical caging team, if you are 8 squares away from the endzone, there are 5 turns left, 7 elves in front of you, 2 are tied up no need to hurry. :orc:

Sometimes you will find you are already late. At least you are aware of it sooner and don't realize it is turn 7 and you still have to make dodges pass gfi, and all the thing a caging team should'nt do :)

Of course, this is just a guideline I follow, and everyone does this in some sort, but formalizing it has helped me when I was learning dwarves and khemri, coming from dark elves ^^

Reason: ''
XAos
Rookie
Rookie

Re: How do you move a cage?

Post by XAos »

SierraKiloBravo wrote:Agree wholeheartedly with burgun. Patience is the biggest thing. If you're caging, then you're playing a team that probably wants to score slowly, so you really have to fight the urge and temptation to just get to the endzone as quickly as possible. Take what they give you.
While I basically agree, you wait for your opponents misstake or unlucky dice roll. You also want to "encourage" your opponent to make misstakes. A cage only uses about half the players on a team the rest can be used to create oppertunities for misstakes.
e.g. if you have more strong blockers than your opponent (Lizardmen with 7 str-4+ players are the obvious case)
You could form two cages on left & right side of the field. An opponent with fewer strong players may not be able to block both cages effectivly. Then you move the ball carrier to the other cage.

Reason: ''