New Coach here, no experience, big ambition.

Moderator: TFF Mods

feeder
Experienced
Experienced
Location: Hatching a dastardly plan, like a bird with a dastardly egg.

New Coach here, no experience, big ambition.

Post by feeder »

I am bored and frankly disappointed with the current set of fantasy and 40k. If I want to wargame, I'll play Black Powder or Nap's Battles.

However, GW still has a lovely universe and models, so what better way to keep the love alive than with BB! I have never played, and so as a modelling project I am building a portable BB pitch and two teams, Orcs and Humans.

I have only just started the board, but I do have a quick sketch of the logo for my Human team, the Vancouversberg Cockatrices. Vancouversberg is a minor city-state on the western coast of the Border Princes.

I think I will use Cadians as a base for the models, and I have a box of Orc Boyz.

More to follow.

Reason: ''
inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Re: New Coach here, no experience, big ambition.

Post by inkpwn »

Welcome :) I can't wait to see how your project turns out.

nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

Sounds great.

Couldn't agree mire about the universes of gw, just wish I liked their games as much.

Welcome and ejoy your stay.

Dihenydd
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Dihenydd »

I will ask if I can blatantly steal that logo. Nothing would please me more to use it in the face of all the Flaming C's I encounter every day on the other side of the mtns...

A victory is twice won when the general brings home full numbers.

Much ado About Nothing.
feeder
Experienced
Experienced

Post by feeder »

Dihenydd wrote:I will ask if I can blatantly steal that logo. Nothing would please me more to use it in the face of all the Flaming C's I encounter every day on the other side of the mtns...
Please do. I will help any way I can to distress those poor fools. :D

feeder
Experienced
Experienced

Post by feeder »

I have to build templates for my pitch, and perusing the web I found these measurements for the passing template:

width 5cm, overall length 40.6cm; with the quick, short and long passes at 10cm, long bomb at 8cm, and the thrower's area 2.6cm.

As my pitch has 40mm squares and the standard pitch has 29mm, I found a ratio of 1.379. This means my passing template will measure 6.9 x 56cm.

Does this sound right to everyone? Has anyone else built a similarly scaled up pitch?

feeder
Experienced
Experienced

Post by feeder »

Here is a crappy pic of my progress so far.

Work is moving slower than expected, the pitch is bigger than you'd think and the layout and gluing of all those tile spacers was a pain!

I built a Passing Template using 3mm acrylic sheet and the above calculations and it's not bad... for a prototype. I may make another, nicer one.

Dihenydd
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Dihenydd »

The Spike guys in Vancouver regularly use 40mm. I think they even sell 40mm templates. I think they meet in Surrey?

Much ado About Nothing.
TheDoctor
Experienced
Experienced

Post by TheDoctor »

40mm squares? Wow! I play on a pitch with 35mm squares and it is already hard to place players in the opponents half. Can you even reach the opposing endzone?
Although it must be nice to have that much space for big guys. Whenever I field my Ogre team against Chaos Pact, even the 35mm squares seem to small.

Anyway, the board looks great so far and I'm looking forward to see more pics of the progress.

Dihenydd
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Dihenydd »

TheDoctor wrote:40mm squares? Wow! I play on a pitch with 35mm squares and it is already hard to place players in the opponents half. Can you even reach the opposing endzone?
Although it must be nice to have that much space for big guys. Whenever I field my Ogre team against Chaos Pact, even the 35mm squares seem to small.

Anyway, the board looks great so far and I'm looking forward to see more pics of the progress.
When we play on my 40mm I find it easier to turn the pitch sideways instead of the usual lengthwise. Its a different perspective but it works.

Much ado About Nothing.
feeder
Experienced
Experienced

Post by feeder »

Small update. No pics of the pitch, but my Orc Teem can be found here.

feeder
Experienced
Experienced

Post by feeder »

Here is a WIP of a dugout behind the endzone. After this pic was taken, I started the flocking process with sand and static grass, and let me tell you, it is an f-ing process. 9 hours later, and the 50/50 water/glue mix still isn't dry.

Hopefully the morning will show some improvement. I may have to change my flocking approach, or at this rate the thing won't be ready for months!

feeder
Experienced
Experienced

Post by feeder »

Whew, what a difference a day's experience makes! The morning found the sand well glued down a quick use of a handy vac and it's all set. Since the glue takes so long to dry, I can brush one entire half before applying the sand, it makes no difference.

Iv'e started the seating and dugouts, but one thing before moving ahead, I can't decide if I want to leave the sand a natural colour before applying patches of static grass, or if I should try to paint it. Does anyone have any advice? Will the paint vastly improve the look of the pitch?

TheDoctor
Experienced
Experienced

Post by TheDoctor »

I glued sand on the bases of my Khemri team and decided to leave it just natural instead of painting it. Looks fine to me.

And concerning the size of your pitch, I'd probably be too lazy to paint it anyway. :wink:

Papa C
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Papa C »

Might be interesting to keep the sand natural - it should come out like a turf pitch that way. Liking the idea by the way, been a fan of Vancouver since my sister-in-law lived there for a year