Hello! and trouble with defending

Moderator: TFF Mods

bar182
Rookie
Rookie

Hello! and trouble with defending

Post by bar182 »

Hello, Firstly I'd just like to say hi :) and by looking around I know I will improve my game enormously from the site :D

However, I have played a couple of games recently and I have no real problem attacking and scoring with my skaven team, but I just can't defend effectively! I realised a rat ogre is not really worth it, and didn't help my defensive game at all, I was wondering if there is a play book or if someone has any advice on this?

Reason: ''
pressie
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Hello! and trouble with defending

Post by pressie »

Hi

Have you tried reading the bbtactics? A common tactic is to have a strip ball gutter runner. Hope it helps :)

http://bbtactics.com/gutter-runners/

http://tripleskull.blogspot.com/

Coach of the Liverpool Blood Bowl Eirie Downs League. Join our Facebook group to join the league.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1850859 ... oup_header
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Try here:
http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/LRB6Playbooks.htm

Playbooks for almost all races, including skaven top of the list. Don't write off the rat ogre!

Welcome to the site :)

Mike

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
pressie
Veteran
Veteran

Post by pressie »

sann0638 wrote:Try here:
http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/LRB6Playbooks.htm

Playbooks for almost all races, including skaven top of the list. Don't write off the rat ogre!

Welcome to the site :)

Mike
Yes, I know the ogre is not the most reliable but blitzing a corner of a cage then sticking some wrestle support give people a lot to think about. It's harder for them to dodge away and all the wrestle can give you space to get the ball next turn.

http://tripleskull.blogspot.com/

Coach of the Liverpool Blood Bowl Eirie Downs League. Join our Facebook group to join the league.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1850859 ... oup_header
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

defence is hard for skaven historically, they have all the speed in the world but are super crunchy.

I think if you look at the guides and bbtactics you will have a decent grounding, then maybe get into play creator and work out a few scenarios you want specific help with and ask here.

Oh and welcome to the site, may you use it well.

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
dboeren
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dboeren »

I agree, Skaven are not the best defensive team. But no team can be the best at everything. Also, I agree on not writing off the Rat Ogre. Personally, I think he's very solid, one of the better Big Guys. Make sure you've got both your Blitzers/Stormvermin as well and work on getting them leveled up so you can get some strength skills going.

Without any pics or specifics it's hard to say much else. What are you having trouble defending against? Slow-rolling Dwarf cage or Wood Elf passing game? Any tactical advice is going to vary depending on the situation.

bar182
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bar182 »

Thanks Guys and I will defiantly look at the resources you have provided, a rat ogre is not written off, it's just in my last game and others I've played I'd rather have extra reroll and lineos.

As for yesterday, I was having trouble defending against a Average Human team. It was just a friendly and we didn't choose additional skills. And it was this game in particular, that highlighed to myself, my defensive problem.

thanks for the help guys! :D

betterZthenDeaD
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by betterZthenDeaD »

bar182 wrote:However, I have played a couple of games recently and I have no real problem attacking and scoring with my skaven team, but I just can't defend effectively!
You're not supposed to defend... you're playing Skaven! You just have to score more than they do! :lol:

Urb
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Urb »

betterZthenDeaD wrote:You're not supposed to defend... you're playing Skaven! You just have to score more than they do! :lol:
All joking aside, this is correct.

Young Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?
Master Po: Young man, how is it that you do not?
Skurk78
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Skurk78 »

Playing a skaven team against humans you're not likely to win a bash game so playing strong defense is out. Instead, get the ball to your gutter runners and do what urb and betterZ said, score more TDs than the humans. With skaven that shouldn't be an impossible task.

And since you're playing skaven, play like a real coward. Kick anything that's stupid enough to be lying down on the pitch.

Death to the high elves. Dark Elves prevail!!!
Smurf
mattgslater's court jester

Post by Smurf »

In defence do not put your big guy on the LOS.

I don't do it with my humans because I see no point of it being smashed to the ground.

I'm interested on how many GRs you field. Like my WEs I only field 2 Catchers at a time (attrition permitting of course).

4 GRs means you have 7 players.

3 are going to be smashed to the ground on the LOS (not always but a good chance) and one is going to be blitzed. The nightmare is 4 of the 7 are down on the floor. Leaving maybe 2 S3 and the RO S5 and 4 S2 GRs.

What is more, with such a set up I can image a long drawn out whacking game. Even the GRs could face 3d blocks.

I'm really intrigued how other players do it. May see it at a tournee some time :)

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)
bar182
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bar182 »

I usually take two GR when defending and while of course, attacking is skavens strong point, I thought it would be beneficial to see some plays that would help me defend :)

Thanks for all the help guys :) !

besters
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by besters »

The GR's are your best players, why wouldn't you take 4 all the time?

Afroman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Afroman »

besters wrote:The GR's are your best players, why wouldn't you take 4 all the time?
Because they aire ST2/AV7 players with huge targets painted on them?

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Unless your opponent has tackle they are harder to hurt than line rats, and are much better at getting away from trouble. If you are worried about being out muscled then don't play Skaven :)

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams