Orc lineman- first skill

Moderator: TFF Mods

Jackolas
Experienced
Experienced

Orc lineman- first skill

Post by Jackolas »

Hi guys,
I have just finished my first season with my Orc team. My first lineman skilled up and I'm looking to chose between kick or block.
I get that block would be overal more useful but I'm thinking kick is probably a batter long term plan.
Thanks.

Reason: ''
Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Re: Orc lineman- first skill

Post by Heff »

Go with kick I think

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

I think the big two factors here is how much longer you expect to play the team and whether you want to field the line orc on both defence and offence.

Kick is a good choice, however that means you won't really want to field him on offence, he'll skill up slowly and you have to field him in certain position (not in widezones or on the LOS).

I'd not actually take Block, but Wrestle instead, just because you don't really have any other players to give it to (at least early on). Wrestle or Block carries none of the downsides of Kick, but leaves you without kick.

I think my preferred development path is a dedicated defensive thrower with Block and Kick. Line Orcs go Wrestle/Tackle and don't need much else.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Jackolas
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Jackolas »

I don't really get why he would need wrestle. Is it to sit him on the LOS and hopefully put an opposing piece on the floor during their turn?

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Wrestle is a handy skill to have on the team since it helps you get Block players on the ground. This works best in two ways, one sitting on the LOS in combination with Fend to frustrate the first turn on defence. The second way is to help get the ball loose from Block ball carriers (or Blodge ball carriers especially with Tackle).

My view is Trolls and BOBs are too slow for Wrestle and you really want them standing up to exploit their strength (and Guard!), Blitzers start with Block so Wrestle is late development for them. Throwers you want to keep on their feet so need Block instead.

That really just leaves line orcs as the best player to take Wrestle. A pair, with tackle, are very handy on defence against dodgy teams, also a couple with fend are frustrating on the LOS against bash teams. The secondary benefit of that is that it helps keep the TV on the LOS lower since a Wrestle/Fend line orc is just 90k, with a 1 skill BOB being 100k.

feeder
Experienced
Experienced
Location: Hatching a dastardly plan, like a bird with a dastardly egg.

Post by feeder »

I am a bit of a newb, but it seems to me that Block should always be the first skill for an Orc lineman. Throwing those dice is such a huge part of the game.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Wrestle makes you as reliable as Block, and although you don't get to deal as much damage you get other advantages from it on the team.

Penwaaagh
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Penwaaagh »

I like orcs to be bashy teams. I always take block first. By taking block you are causing hopefully another casualty roll, which should help a lineman get a second skill quicker.
As a side note, wrestle is awesome with jump up, but you will need to roll a double...

Tourach
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tourach »

Penwaaagh wrote:I like orcs to be bashy teams. I always take block first. By taking block you are causing hopefully another casualty roll, which should help a lineman get a second skill quicker.
As a side note, wrestle is awesome with jump up, but you will need to roll a double...
well think out of the box, if you think about the orc lineman is actually the only player on the orc team that can take wrestle where it makes sense. Wrestle do open up for some possibilities that block don't and works very well on the LoS.

I DO want some cheese with my whine.
A.k.a MissSweden
Piousman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Piousman »

it is good especially later, when pretty much everybody and their grand mother have Block, and you really want to take down a particular player (either to neutralize a guard, pop the ball loose, or open up a way for your ball carrier.

- Piousman

Penwaaagh
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Penwaaagh »

True, however wrestle is getting him no further spp which may be useful for getting the lineman to the next level...

Piousman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Piousman »

Perhaps, but I think the point is that with Wrestle that Lineorc is pretty much good to go. If/when he makes to the next level, give him Tackle too.

- Piousman

mozza1967
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mozza1967 »

Kick on the first lineman, coz being able to place the ball better is great for the whole team.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Penwaaagh wrote:True, however wrestle is getting him no further spp which may be useful for getting the lineman to the next level...
It is getting more SPPs. Since he's got Wrestle you'll block with him as often as you would someone with Block - so his improved reliability means you'll block more often and hence get many more knockdowns than you would with another skill.

Also Block generates no extra knockdowns against players with Block.

Penwaaagh
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Penwaaagh »

OK, I am intrigued, I will give that a try when possible, I have 2 unskilled lineman that hopefully will level up soon... maybe... please! Come on MVP...