Why is the forum so quiet?

Moderator: TFF Mods

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Why is the forum so quiet?

Post by spubbbba »

We're being inundated with leaks about the new edition along with official pics of 3 new teams and 2 new star player models.

Reddit, Facebook, Fumbbl and other Blood Bowl related places are buzzing with this news and the ramifications for the game. Yet here there is barely a peak. Has this become a place to just see news about tabletop tournaments and with those cancelled due to Covid is now a dead forum?

I'd have thought with more people staying indoors that forum activity would have gone up or at least remained static.

Reason: ''
My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Waldorf28
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Why is the forum so quiet?

Post by Waldorf28 »

I've always considered TFF to be a backwater for NAF ranking junkies, LRB fanboys and GW haters.

BB2016 seemed to be considered by many here an embarrassing inconvenience.

It's still good for tournament news as you say but the vibrant community is now elsewhere.

TFF was left behind years ago.

Commissioner at the UKBBL.
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Some people think forums are dead and do everything on stalkerbook (which is a type of forum, but the doesn't stop some people claiming forums are dead).
Personally I like the fact I can use a pseudonym on forums so prefer it. But it does make for slow communication due to less participants.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

In addition, the forum software is woefully out of date and badly optimised for mobile screens.
Unfortunately the only person who can do anything about that is DoubleSkulls.

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Only old fogies use forums, all the cool kids use Facebook/Reddit/whatever.

'Tis just the way of things - once upon a time this was the cool place to be and the old fogies bemoaned the lack of activity on the BBC bulletin board (or whatever it was called).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Saebelsultan »

I think people are just not so inclined to take the time it needs to read through a forum.
I believe that is also a misconception and that all the social media platforms take their toll on time more heavily.

"This game is too good not to be played!" - Coach Pauli
Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
Saebelsultan's BB Dugouts
stick_with_poo_on_the_end
has a big box

Post by stick_with_poo_on_the_end »

I don’t like this modern TFF nonsense . I check my updates on Ceefax !!!

Word to Your Mother.
Itchen Masack
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Itchen Masack »

Personally I mostly use TFF to find tourneys to attend. There havent been any tourneys to attend. Dont know if many are like me?

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Itchen Masack wrote:Personally I mostly use TFF to find tourneys to attend. There havent been any tourneys to attend. Dont know if many are like me?
Oh yes, I'd noticed for a while that much of the forum traffic was tabletop tournament related. But these changes are going to have huge ramifications for the tourney scene.

With new teams being added or players changed within teams and some not continuing in the rules I'd have expected healthy discussion around that. Most if not all of the BB20 rosters have been leaked already.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Maybe because people are unsure of what the tournament scene will be, at least until the NAF has their (sensibly) delayed annual review?

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Facebook and Twitter for me. Reddit for others. Here for tournament postings.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

TFF always seems to be massively behind the curve with new releases, by the time stuff has been shared and theory-Bowled on Facebook, someone’s only just managed to post a link to the Games Workshop article.

I also get pissed off with having to log-in every time I use it, as it never remembers my details, despite always ticking ‘remember me’!

Like others, I only really come here for tournament updates, which survive better on here than Facebook ‘cos they don’t get drowned by irrelevant comments, like Blood Bowl Community posts. The admins on that page are facing an uphill struggle at the moment just because it’s become some weird virtue signalling moan-off, which isn’t good for the new players joining the group as a result of the BB2020 announcements. Would be interesting to know if TFF is experiencing a similar growth spurt.

Just think Facebook is more accessible than TFF. Twitter is good, too, but you can’t get into stuff in much depth with only 280 characters at your disposal. The new Blood Bowl Competitive group has some interesting stuff in it, but the Blood Bowl Community page is just getting a bit stupid, so I’ve ducked out of that one for now. I’m sure it’ll all die down when BB2020 is released.

With that said, there’s a quality vs. quantity scenario at play - a lot of the Facebook and Twitter comments (especially at the moment) are just dross and don’t really advance the game in any way. While TFF is quite minimal, at least it’s usually pretty relevant.

Great comment from ‪@AntonLunau ‬on twitter: “I wish people had to play an actual game of Blood Bowl every 6 months to stay in the group. I think alot of ex-players are in there just to complain”.

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Jip wrote: I also get pissed off with having to log-in every time I use it, as it never remembers my details, despite always ticking ‘remember me’!

That's a browser issue as it works fine (most of the time) for me.

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Jip wrote:Would be interesting to know if TFF is experiencing a similar growth spurt.

I find I'm activating the same number of user accounts. I've not taken a count, that's just a feeling.

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Post by mawph »

Thor invited me to the bloodbowl group on Facebook and while I've not accepted, there are a lot of posts shooting through my feed (I probably could have also rejected ;)). I was coming close to joining the group, but for the increasing number of anti-progress posts, which to a certain extent does also limit my posting here.

One of the major things I used to do (and I do still log in here reasonably frequently, without posting too much) was log in to look at people's painted and in progress models. Facebook and Instagram seem to be the places for that now (I moved away from my "instagram is just for the kids" theory a couple of months ago and now spend a fair amount of time looking at people's painting and modelling there - I'm not sure I'm ready to change my 'old fogie' theories about tictoc yet though)

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!