Returning player with a question on basing Big Guys

Moderator: TFF Mods

Millertime
Rookie
Rookie

Returning player with a question on basing Big Guys

Post by Millertime »

Hey everyone! Long time fan of BB here.. going all the way back to first edition that I bought sometime around '85 or so. Moved on to different games and "real life" issues so BB fell to the side, but the recent Steam sale of the PC LE has me back into the game again!

One thing I noticed was that the Big Guys are now one hex players, the same as everyone else. It's easily handled in the video game version, but how is that done on a board? I don't think any of the BGs will physically fit into the 29mm spacing of standard board, not to mention the issue of getting them onto a base. So.. how is that typically handled?

Thanks!

Reason: ''
besters
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: Returning player with a question on basing Big Guys

Post by besters »

Basing isn't an issue, particularly if you use one of the larger round bases. it gets more difficult if they are knocked down and are stunned or prone, but most people use a marker at that point if necessary, even if it's just coins or spare dice. i know impact do a set to cover all eventualities.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Plus many of the BG models (but by no means all) will fit on a 30mm base - only a tiny bit larger than the square.

(And before one of the Thunderbowl lot drops by, you can also play on a scaled-up board with 40mm squares. :wink: )

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Smurf
mattgslater's court jester

Post by Smurf »

3 Theories I have seen.

It's on what it's on, 40mm square/round and just gets in the way.

It's on that big base noted above but use a coin or token to notice face up and face down.

I just rebase them on to 25mm squares. Standard GW base for orc/chaos etc. Seems to work :)

Reminds me 2 more Ogres to go (old style).

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)
Skurk78
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Skurk78 »

Welcome back to BB. I've been playing the game since '94 myself. Dropped out of it in '97 due to school, work, army etc. Returned in 2009 thanks to the Cyanide game and my then 10-year old kid. Was happy to notice the game had gone through some (mostly) positive changes.

So far we've collected 12 teams and most of the figs are even painted. The kid just started painting his own team last summer. Progress has been slow due to school.

The BGs aren't as much of a bother as you'd think. The posts above explain the ways of getting around the size issues quite well. I use coins myself but I have a few of those impact-markers lying around somewhere.

Death to the high elves. Dark Elves prevail!!!
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Millertime wrote:One thing I noticed was that the Big Guys are now one hex players, the same as everyone else. It's easily handled in the video game version, but how is that done on a board? I don't think any of the BGs will physically fit into the 29mm spacing of standard board, not to mention the issue of getting them onto a base. So.. how is that typically handled?

Thanks!
30mm bases for the Big Guys: http://www.impactminiatures.net/index.p ... id=SP_PB30

Tokens you can use when knocked down: http://www.impactminiatures.net/index.p ... id=TK_PRST

Or use similar materials. I play Halflings frequently with large Treemen and use both these products when I play with no problems.

Tom

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers