Returning to BB after a few years.

Moderator: TFF Mods

hodgy
Rookie
Rookie

Returning to BB after a few years.

Post by hodgy »

Hi guys I'm getting back into BB and have a few questions if you have the time to answer them.

I'm struggling to decide which team to go for I've took a fancy to Necromantics but I've heard that they can be difficult to use straight away this made me think about Norse or Dark Elves, which one do you guys think would be best to ease me back into things? I've previously played with Orcs, Skaven and Chaos so I wouldn't want one of those teams again. Dwarves aren't a team I'd want to use either.
Also are there any leagues around the Chester or Liverpool area?

Any help would be appreciated
Hodgy.

Reason: ''
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Returning to BB after a few years.

Post by MattDakka »

Welcome!
Necromantic teams struggle for the first matches, until they get some skills (such as Block, Mighty Blow, Guard, Tackle).
Dark Elves start with more skills, but they need some Dodge, Wrestle/Block, Side Step to really start to shine, AG 4 and aV 8 about on all the players is great and makes them very versatile (they can bash other elves and play agile against hybrid and basher teams, so they ever have a solution).
Norse in my opinion are the hardest team of the three, because they mostly have AV 7 and struggle against basher and hybrid teams, but are very good against agile teams.
Either Dark Elves or Necromantic are fine in my opinion. If you prefer a more varied but riskier gameplay play Dark Elves, if you want a more reliable but less different gameplay play Necromantic.
Do you know FUMBBL?

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

of those choices, Necro and Dark Elves are both a real challenge to learn the ropes again with... Norse are a breeze as you won't suffer too much crunchiness until quite a few games in.

so despite being part Dark Elf, I would advise you to go for Norse, at least to start with.

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

(Dead)Man-up and play Necros! Elves and spam teams are for the mentally weak.... Leave the cheese for the little engines who can't....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
hodgy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by hodgy »

I've tried all three teams out on FUMBBL, I think I'm going to go with Necro's because Norse are very squishy (I had 4 players left on the pitch by the second half) and with Delves some of the team members are pure cheese. I wrote up a Roster, what do you guys think?

WW x2
FG
WIGHT x2
ZOM x6

3RR
2FF
Also what skill is best to give Wights, I was thinking Guard or Tackle?

ChenZhen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by ChenZhen »

I think trying out teams on fumbbl is a great way to get a feel for a team. Playing a team that "fits" you is far better than playing a "better" team that you don't like.

I think necro is an awesome team, and I think you have a solid starting build. BBtactics is a great resource for team builds, tips on skill choices, and player and team overviews. It was enormously helpful when I was getting started.

necro starting rosters

I found looking at the different rosters helpful, hope it will be for you, too!

I would recommend guard first. Tackle is great if you are playing a ton of teams with dodge, but guard is useful against everyone.

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

My last Necro starting roster was like so:
1 Werewolf
2 Wights
2 Flesh Golems
1 Ghoul
5 Zombies
3 RRs

as a general rule, don't buy Fan Factor, is a waste of money.

About the Wights:
one with Mighty Blow, the other with Tackle, then take Mighty Blow on the Tackle Wight and Piling On on the Mighty Blow Wight.

DixonCider
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DixonCider »

I haven't played Necro's so this is just theory bowl, but wouldn't it be better to start with: 2 Flesh golems so you hope you get the MVP on them, 2 werewolves to break defensive positions, one ghoul as the ball carrier if the werewolves get tied up, the rest zombies, with 3 re-rolls, next buying the Wights.

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

DixonCider wrote: I haven't played Necro's so this is just theory bowl, but wouldn't it be better to start with: 2 Flesh golems so you hope you get the MVP on them, 2 werewolves to break defensive positions, one ghoul as the ball carrier if the werewolves get tied up, the rest zombies, with 3 re-rolls, next buying the Wights.
No, because the team lacks blocking reliability so you need those 2 Block skills.
Blitzing/blocking with Frenzy without Block is very risky, I don't suggest to use often Werewolves for that before they have got Block, especially if you can't afford a turnover.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

My take (of course) on Necro teams: Arkham Asylum Blood Bowl

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
hodgy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by hodgy »

That website was really helpful cheeers Digger!

Leipziger
Legend
Legend

Post by Leipziger »

There was indeed a league running in Liverpool last year. I think if you pm littlejonnyfrostbite (or is called Tet on here?) he could let you know.

Just found a link to the thread on this very section of the forum :)

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=35421

There is a tournament over your way in March - The Merseybowl - and one over in Manchester (feb 16/17) if tourney play is up your street. There is always quite a spread of experience and skill levels.

Twitter:@wormito
Waterbowl fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/WaterbowlMcr/

Stunty Slam 14 - 10/09/22
Waterbowl Weekend 2023, Feb 18/19, NWGC

Team England Committee Member