Newbie converting 2 teams

Moderator: TFF Mods

MrDork
Rookie
Rookie

Newbie converting 2 teams

Post by MrDork »

Hello all!

I've been lurking in the forums for awhile as I prepare to get into Blood Bowl and here's the situation:

My gal is a gamer and a pretty hardcore one at that, but she has no interest in the modeling side, so if I want her to play BB, I have to drop fully painted teams in front of her.

Plan A is to get the Impact Apes and Sarcos $35 plastics and get off and running, but due to the (well sympathized) health issues at Impact, I don't think those Apes are right around the corner and I just can't afford two metal teams.

So, if that fails, plan B is thus: Get two boxed WFB regiments and convert them. At this point Skinks for Lizardmen and Night Goblins for Underworld make sense. Both can field one position for the entire team, helping us learn the rules, but both also look like they have room to grow with new models here and there.

If all that makes sense, my question is:

What do I need to know about converting these models? Do I need whole new (non weapon carrying) arms? Both Skink and Goblins are small; are there tiny shoulder pads & other bits they could "share"?

Is this whole idea not smart?

Thank you for any tips. I've always loved GW fluff but never quite dug WFB or 40K. Necromunda was my favorite and BB seems right up my alley.

Reason: ''
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Re: Newbie converting 2 teams

Post by Shteve0 »

Welcome welcome welcome! Congrats on getting your partner involved - it's a leap I don't think I'll ever be able to make :)

One of our league members down here in NZ recently started a plog about his converted lizardman team you can check out here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=37831. Weapon snips are actually pretty simple - use a sharp knife! - and you might be suprised as to how good an effect you can get with no experience of using greenstuff.

That said, the Impact Sarcos team is wonderful and a bargain at $35, so it might be worth checking in with Impact as to how far off the Apes and Amazons teams are. Or you might want to check out their Scotlings, also available at $35.

Another alternative that might be worth looking at: Black Scorpion miniatures do a range of plastic resin teams at a similar price point to the Impact line (though fewer figures). So far they've release skaven, orc, human, elf and dwarf options - check out their site for more details. http://www.blackscorpionminiatures.com/ They're based in the UK though, so depending on where you are, shipping might be a factor.

There are loads of great multipart plastic kits out there though just waiting to be converted. If you're feeling bold I seriously recommend trying your hand at it - it can be very rewarding.

Whatever you decide on, good luck, and have fun! Incidentally, in what part of the world are you based?

Cheers!

Steve

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
MrDork
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MrDork »

That Lizardman thread is great and tells me exactly what I need to know!

I REALLY like like the Impact minis, though, so if I can imagine spending a month converting two teams, I suppose I can just as easily wait a month for the plastic Apes to go live.

Same price and support small business to boot; What's to lose? :D

We're in Philadelphia, USA, by the way. There used to be a league in the area but I'm not sure if it's still around. I'll do some hunting once the time comes.

Thanks for your help!

MrDork
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MrDork »

And, like magic, the plastic Apes are up!

It's uncanny!