Some advice on numbering my first team.

Moderator: TFF Mods

coggers
Rookie
Rookie

Some advice on numbering my first team.

Post by coggers »

Hi there, I'm new here and to tabletop blood bowl (tho I have been playing Cyanide blood bowl for about a year now).

I'm just painting up my first team, the plastic Orc team from the 3rd edition box set. I'm using the original black orcs as blitzes and converting 4 WHFB black orcs instead and have added a Wily-Miniatures Troll and will at some point get a couple of goblins too.

It might be a bit of a silly question but I'm a bit stuck on how to number the players. As I'll end up with a 19. Is it ok to use numbers over 16? (I know you can't have more than 16 players on a roster at once I literally just mean when I paint the number on their backs). If not the options I can think of are to double up a couple of positions numbers, e.g. have a lineman no16 and the troll no16 which could work as I doubt I'd ever run 6 linemen and a troll at once. Or just leave 3 linemen with no number. What are people's thoughts on that?

Also if anyone has any advice on painting on numbers that would be very welcome. I'm fine with all the other painting but my hand righting sucks so I'm not really looking forward to doing the numbers.

Thanks very much!

Reason: ''
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Re: Some advice on numbering my first team.

Post by lunchmoney »

coggers wrote:Hi there, I'm new here and to tabletop blood bowl (tho I have been playing Cyanide blood bowl for about a year now).
Welcome to the hobby :)
coggers wrote:It might be a bit of a silly question but I'm a bit stuck on how to number the players. As I'll end up with a 19. Is it ok to use numbers over 16? (I know you can't have more than 16 players on a roster at once I literally just mean when I paint the number on their backs). If not the options I can think of are to double up a couple of positions numbers, e.g. have a lineman no16 and the troll no16 which could work as I doubt I'd ever run 6 linemen and a troll at once. Or just leave 3 linemen with no number. What are people's thoughts on that?
You can number them what ever you like, 1-19, just picking 19 numbers between 00-99, whatever you want. As long as your roster matches the models so your opponent can tell which piece has what skills it doesnt matter.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
adhansa
Experienced
Experienced

Post by adhansa »

I would still suggest numbering your players 1-16,for an easy t16 roll on MVP and throw a rock.
Or if you want to number them 0-99 then it is possible to Cockerel them as nr 8 - 33 John Doe.

Not sure about others, but i prefer to leave gaps in my starting Cockerel so that i can always have all players of same type in following numbers, and i always have my big guy as 1 or 16, dependeing on if consider him an essential part of the team or a sidekick.

On an orc team i would suggest
1 Troll
2-5 Black Orc
6-9 Blitzers
10 Thrower
11 Lineman/Thrower
12-14 Lineman
15-16 Goblin(/Lineman)

coggers
Rookie
Rookie

Post by coggers »

That's great, thanks very much for both of your advice. Now I think I'll go with:
1-4 Black orcs
5-8 Blitzers
9-10 Throwers
11-13 Linemen
14-15 Goblins
16 Troll

20-23 other Linemen

Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

I number my teams between 00 and 99 using specific ranges for player type. 01-19 for throwers, 20-39 for Linemen etc
For MVP or throw a rock you can still roll a D16 and just use position in the roster rather than exact number.

DixonCider
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DixonCider »

I have seen some amazing numbering done on players here on shoulder pads, is that usually done with stencils or free hand?

Don__Vito
Legend
Legend

Post by Don__Vito »

I use a small brush (size 000) and a steady hand, but also own a fine art micron pen (0.2mm line width, available on eBay in a variety of forms) which I use for pupils or for fine detail.

DixonCider
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DixonCider »

Don__Vito wrote:I use a small brush (size 000) and a steady hand, but also own a fine art micron pen (0.2mm line width, available on eBay in a variety of forms) which I use for pupils or for fine detail.
Thanks Don_Vito

elmarcello
Experienced
Experienced

Post by elmarcello »

Don__Vito wrote:small brush (size 000)
It's not the size that matters :lol: , but the point of the brush. I use a Prince August size 2 for freehands and pupils.
I agree on the steady hand though.

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

So is r o o s t e r being corrected to cockerel now? Testing...

Cockerel

It would seem so. Silly billies.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

If your freehand leaves something to be desired ... I know these have been popular with several players.

Pre-numbered shoulder pads: http://www.impactminiatures.net/index.p ... id=CS_NSHD

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

coggers wrote:That's great, thanks very much for both of your advice. Now I think I'll go with:
1-4 Black orcs
5-8 Blitzers
9-10 Throwers
11-13 Linemen
14-15 Goblins
16 Troll

20-23 other Linemen
I did mine on the basis of a 'full' roster (note going above 16 isn't a problem as you can always write 1-16 on the team sheet next to each model...)

So
1 Troll
2-5 Blitzers
6-9 Black Orcs
10-11 Throwers
12-15 Goblins
16+ Linemen

As I have them all painted if a goblin dies for example then next one gets to be 13 etc etc. Also means I will never end up with player types alternating numbers.

I do like the idea of 0x-9x though. That way across all the teams the 0's would be blitzers, the 9's big guys etc etc

DixonCider
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DixonCider »

I numbered my necro team and ended up with an issue of not having enough space/zombies being in odd spots in relation to the ghouls. I also need to add one or two more zombies and renumber the entire team. In retrospect I would number every team with a full compliment of positionals first, then the line players

coggers
Rookie
Rookie

Post by coggers »

Brilliant, thanks for all the advice! Those numbered shoulder pads look pretty nice too.

ChenZhen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by ChenZhen »

Another way to number is to paint the number on the front and back of the base. You can either do that freehand (but it is flat, and so generally easier than on players) or done with numbers. Impact also has these, and they look great.

I'm on my phone so can't easily link. Galak or someone else may be able to give me an assist. :orc: