A friendly hello from the UK

Moderator: TFF Mods

TheDancingClown
Experienced
Experienced

A friendly hello from the UK

Post by TheDancingClown »

Hi all,

I have been drawn to this forum after numerous blood bowl related searches and decided to sign up after getting frustrated with the blocks. Mainly in the hope of discovering secret information not suitable for the general public.

I am in Surrey, UK and first bought the board game about 20 years ago but have only actually played the game a handful (that one hand) of times. Every now and then a slow day at work will get me searching for new miniatures to paint up, and a slow week has brought me here.

I am a pretty poor painter but enjoy it so that is a great reason to continue, right? My latest idea/project will be an Underworld Team. The original plan was to get cheap minis from ebay and make a scratch team but this has quickly escalated into buying new paints, conversion tools and spending much more than an average complete team set. I can't be alone in this can I?

So I will give you a quick breakdown of my ideas and hopefully in a few months I can show you all a completed team.

Troll - I am not sure whether I saw the mini first and decided to make an Underworld Team, or vice versa but the Turncoat Troll by Willy is simply adorable. Not strictly a warpstone troll but it wont be the first time I have bent the rules!!

Skaven Lineman and Thrower - When I first saw the Black Scorpion team I wasn't too keen as the models didn't look right. I now think they would be perfect for Underworld as I can really sense the twisted, evil, vengefulness in each character. I especially like the thrower who looks like there is no chance of him ever letting the ball out of his clutches. I can also imagine a few tentacles and extra arms hidden under those robes so these models work for me.

Skaven Blitzers - I have bought a combination of bits of GW stormvermin, night runners and plague monks that will hopefully give a couple of good blitzer models. I wanted to steer away from overly armoured models such as the normal GW blitzers.

Goblins - to be honest this will be the downfall of my project. I have no experience of converting/snipping but really like the Gamezone set of Goblins, they have a huge amount of character in that tiny model, and the night goblin robes and hoods fit nicely into the theme. I have just bought an xacto saw to attempt to relieve the little guys of their weapons however it could well be a step too far for me....but, he who dares. I am also a bit annoyed that I can't use the ball and chain fanatic in this team as the Gamezone fanatics are awesome.

Star players - I want to use the Meiko range for these, specifically Runner #1 for Skitter and the claw star for Glart. I haven't yet found a suitable model for the goblin stars, and will probably go for a GW plague censer bearer as there are a couple of models I like.

And some fluff. Be nice though, my fluff writing skills are worse than my painting and this was done in a few minutes this morning!

The Skaranorak Baby-Snatchers.

The Skaranorak Baby-Snatchers were originally founded as The Cragmere Outlaws. The Outlaws were a group of skaven slaves whose minds became corrupted by warpstone radiation and they believed they were part of the Council of Thirteen. After dying their fur grey, the Outlaws barely escaped with their lives and fled west through the Black Mountains. They eventually came upon a suitable cave system near the Temple of Skaranorak where the goblin residents of the cave were immediately submissive when they saw the grey fur and did not want to suffer the threatened magical wrath of their new skaven overlords. The goblins launched numerous scavenging hunts into the nearby Halfling towns stealing clothes and food during the night but the skaven slaves had left something far more important behind. An Outlaws blood bowl team was formed because of a burning desire for warpstone and a 'friendly' game was arranged against their former lair of Cragmere . Whilst the majority of the lair were supporting or playing in the game, the fastest Outlaw runners sneaked into the tunnels and stole as much warpstone as they could carry. The debut game was also the last to be played under the Outlaws name when the Halfling referee recognised his long lost bath robe being worn by a skaven lineman and was able to connect the vermin to the myth of the Night Demons of the Black Mountains who would kidnap children who don't finish their brussel sprouts.

tldr

Hope to meet you all as I look for more inspiration and painting guides.

Cheers

TDC

Reason: ''
Aino
Star Player
Star Player

Re: A friendly hello from the UK

Post by Aino »

Welcome !
Looking forward to see the team taking shape!
W

Fighting signature size creep ;)
Pug
Legend
Legend

Post by Pug »

Never too late to re-embrace the game of Blood BOwl!

..Love the halfling bit in the fluff! :)

"In Dodge We Trust"
TheDancingClown
Experienced
Experienced

Pug wrote:..Love the halfling bit in the fluff! :)
My sentence is a fine display of butchering the English language but thanks! and thanks for the welcomes.

Been browsing some old threads this evening and it seems my ideas are far from original so sorry for any rehash. Really enjoying looking at the other teams and getting very inspired (which is bad news for my wallet).

outcast
Veteran
Veteran

Post by outcast »

Welcome! I only got into this hobby last year (fairly late on in life) but I am truly addicted now and this is my "go to" forum for all advice, be it painting, modelling, playing etc.

Enjoy your stay :-)

"Good work ain't cheap. Cheap work ain't good." - Norman “Sailor Jerry” Collins
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Welcome! Do you know FUMBBL?

Tritex
Legend
Legend

Post by Tritex »

Well looks like you have a few projects to keep you busy. Welcome to the board and good luck :)

Blood Bowl .. Live to play and play to live! Check out now:

www.tritex-games.co.uk
www.tritex-games.co.uk
TheDancingClown
Experienced
Experienced

Thanks for the welcome Tritex. Your site/shop was probably the first step on my blood bowl re-addiction so I do hold you responsible for spending too much money.

Matt, I only know generally of FUMBBL. I think I tried to use it a few years ago but possibly found it confusing or I was just too scared to try. I bought the Xbox360 cyanide game on launch but again only ever played single player campaign.