Hello Everyone !!

Moderator: TFF Mods

Dr.ZooMbb
Rookie
Rookie

Hello Everyone !!

Post by Dr.ZooMbb »

Hello everyone!

I am returning to this game after a very long stop, me and other 5 guys from Legnano and Alessandria (Italy) are going to set-up a "small league" to reintroduce the young players to this amazing games, I need some time to keep up with the news and the new course of Blood Bowl ( I decided to drop with the 4th edition Rules of the BB Magazine) , I hope to find all the answers in this forum, and possibly some other italian players near us to arrange some match !! :-)
Ah... first question... ;-) "What are the best Miniatures to use after the "line closure" of Games Workshop" ?

Thanks to all!

Reason: ''
Chris
Legend
Legend

Re: Hello Everyone !!

Post by Chris »

Best as in price, or quality, or somewhere in between? If you want pre-painted hit ebay, otherwise for me Impact trollforged teams are a cheap way to get a whole team.

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

good choice not to play with the "Gold ed." ruleset, bad decision to stop altogether.

Welcome back to the best game on earth.

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
Dr.ZooMbb
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dr.ZooMbb »

bad decision to stop altogether
Welcome back to the best game on earth
You're definitively right on both !! 8)

I got another noob question...

I would like to keep up as soon as possible... Do exist a downloadable archive with all the "paper" material published about Blood Bowl ?? eg: magazines,compendiums, journal articles and so on... ??

I would really appreciate any suggestion on where to find one!! :wink:

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

No. There was one, but it got hit by a GW Legal Cease & Desist (C&D) request.
There was another, but it doesn't seem to work anymore, and hasn't been updated for ages.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

Dr.ZooMbb wrote:Hello everyone!

Ah... first question... ;-) "What are the best Miniatures to use after the "line closure" of Games Workshop" ?

Thanks to all!
I cannot answer this question, as it's so subjective ... but what I can and will do is point you to a number of sites that sell 'fantasy football miniatures':

http://www.comixininos.com/: Sells miniatures of many different manufacturers, I particularly like the ones by 'Willy Miniatures'. Is Spanish.
http://www.gaspez-arts.com/: Sells it's own line (Gaspez, I generally like them) as well as Neomics (which it now owns, I believe) and some others. Is Italian.
http://www.greebo.it/mainsite/jupgrade/: Sells it's own line, which I find very nice. Is also Italian.
http://www.impactminiatures.com/: Sells it's own line and others. Is American/British.

There are others as well, but most of those sell through Comixinios at least. And there are also kickstarters happening all the time, but they naturally have a long waiting period, and as such are not ideal for your first teams.

Oh, and welcome! :D

P.S.: There really is no 'paper material' other than the latest rulebook. There are two useful Tactics sites, in addition to TFF, of course:

http://bbtactics.com/: Has a thorough and good discussion of most teams and positions, as well as many skills and basic tactics.
http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/LRB6Playbooks.htm: Has at least one 'playbook' for every race in the game (as well as 2 which are fan made and not NAF sanctioned), some are garbage, but most are good and some are awesome.

And finally there is the NAF: http://www.thenaf.net/, which is the international Blood Bowl organization that keeps the community together (more or less :wink: ) and maintains a ranking system for those who participate in NAF-sanctioned tournaments. Tournaments are generally great fun and are a good way to get to know the wider community; Italy is one of the most active countries in Blood Bowl and there are lots of tournaments there, so try it at least once! :)

Dr.ZooMbb
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dr.ZooMbb »

Thanks Everyone for the precious suggestions !!
I particularly like the ones by 'Willy Miniatures'
Indeed I also like them very much! especially Chaos Teams!!
Italy is one of the most active countries in Blood Bowl and there are lots of tournaments there, so try it at least once!
Think I will try this one as a Start !! : "http://www.thenaf.net/NAF/view_tourname ... ament=2263"

Sounds very interesting !! :D

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

Dr Von Richten,

is there any reason why Impact got appreciably less love than the other miniature companies?

Impact sells on behalf of many other miniatures firms and makes miniatures for Elfball as well as for bloodbowl. Impact is also on a crusade to make miniatures cheaper for all players irrespective of nationality.

Willy / Greebo / Gaspez all seem to have excellent teams but they all cost a lot more than a lot of gamers have to spend on miniatures

that said the kickstarters all seem to have an opportunity to get the teams for cheaper. albeit GBP 65.00 (twice what I paid back in 3ed)

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
DarthBLU
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DarthBLU »

Maybe just alphabetical order? If in any place impact gets better opinions than other manufacturers is in this forum...

There is nothing wrong saying that some miniatures are better than others... he is not talking about price, as in everything in the world more quality, more price, nothing strange for me in Dr words

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

voyagers_uk wrote:Dr Von Richten,

is there any reason why Impact got appreciably less love than the other miniature companies?
I don't like Impact's own line of miniatures, and I don't care for plastic mini's, or them being cheaper, or them being usable for Elfball. Otherwise they don't really do anything* Comixinios doesn't do.

I'm generally of the school that if it's worth doing, it's worth doing well, even if that means you gotta save up to do so.

* This refers to Impact as a miniature production and selling company, not to Tom Anders work for Blood Bowl in general and CRP 5/6 in particular; for that we should all be thankful! :D

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Yep, I'm thankful especially for what he did to Khemri and the clawpomb nonsense. :D
@Dr.ZooMbb: benvenuto, conosci FUMBBL?
E' il modo meno peggiore per giocare a Blood Bowl online, c'è pure una lega per italiani qualora fossi interessato.

Dr.ZooMbb
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dr.ZooMbb »

conosci FUMBBL?
E' il modo meno peggiore per giocare a Blood Bowl online
Ciao, non lo conosco ma gli daro' un' occhiata, diciamo che dopo la pessima esperienza col gioco della Cyanide preferisco restare in ambito miniature e affrontare avversari in carne ed ossa!! :) Il problema in passato e' sempre stato quello .... trovare avversari contro cui giocare... ma sembra che nei Games Academy stia tornando l'interesse per questo gioco almeno quelli nel nord-ovest... speriamo ! :wink:

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

MattDakka wrote:Yep, I'm thankful especially for what he did to Khemri and the clawpomb nonsense. :D
@Dr.ZooMbb: benvenuto, conosci FUMBBL?
E' il modo meno peggiore per giocare a Blood Bowl online, c'è pure una lega per italiani qualora fossi interessato.
Nothing's perfect, and balancing a game with 24 different races and 50+ skills is impossible, but CRP is by far the best version of Blood Bowl that there's ever been. Also, you know full well (or should know at any rate) that JJ had the final word on some of the more questionable things in CRP including the Khemri Team and the 'petty cash' rule.

And another thing; you come from FUMMBL, but Blood Bowl was never designed as a computer game where you can play 60 matches with one team in a month. Instead, it was designed as a tabletop game where you're unlikely to play more than 1 match a week, if that much, and in finite leagues no less, so a team doesn't get past 15, 20, maybe 30 games, and that takes 6+ months of playing only that team. In short, many potential 'issues' of CRP are much smaller in tabletop play.

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Dr. Von Richten wrote: Nothing's perfect, and balancing a game with 24 different races and 50+ skills is impossible,
Impossible, sure, but this doesn't mean that you can't improve the game by reducing the blatant broken rules and bad roster design.
Dr. Von Richten wrote: but CRP is by far the best version of Blood Bowl that there's ever been.
The less worst, I'd say.
Dr. Von Richten wrote: Also, you know full well (or should know at any rate) that JJ had the final word on some of the more questionable things in CRP including the Khemri Team and the 'petty cash' rule.
Yes but the CRP Khemri team roster was made so by Tom Anders afaik, correct me if I'm wrong.
Dr. Von Richten wrote: And another thing; you come from FUMMBL
I come from tabletop 2nd edition, actually. :D
Dr. Von Richten wrote:but Blood Bowl was never designed as a computer game where you can play 60 matches with one team in a month. Instead, it was designed as a tabletop game where you're unlikely to play more than 1 match a week, if that much, and in finite leagues no less, so a team doesn't get past 15, 20, maybe 30 games, and that takes 6+ months of playing only that team. In short, many potential 'issues' of CRP are much smaller in tabletop play.
Even just considering the game at TV 1000 the rosters have evident design issues and bad pricing, something that doesn't require thousands of games to be spotted.
Flix was worried about the potential clawpomb issue well before that online perpetual game proved it.

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Cyanide the makers of the blood bowl computer game now host the rulebook after GW took it down.

http://www.bloodbowl-game.com/files/BB_LRB6.pdf

Note is a big 78mb download.