Newbie in San Diego, CA

Moderator: TFF Mods

SquadPainter
Rookie
Rookie

Newbie in San Diego, CA

Post by SquadPainter »

Hello! This is just a quick post to introduce myself. I am a long time figure painter who is just getting around to playing Blood Bowl. I mostly paint and game historical stuff, but in the past few years I have been expanding my horizons. I've always looked at Blood Bowl from afar, wondering what all of the fuss was about. I saw the Beasts of War videos on DreadBall and instead of making me want to get DreadBall, I wanted to look at something more strategic... and that led me to Blood Bowl!

Noting the easily available Living Rule Book, I realized that I didn't have to troll ebay to get into the game. Besides, I think that for the going rate ($100+) I could probably come up with something good myself, right? I checked my garage and I found a 2x3' static grass mat. So I could hit the hardware store and get a blue foam board and some round head brads for less than $10. I also have foam core and cereal boxes available for dugouts, scoreboards and whatnot. So, I'll soon have a pitch for $10.

Now I just have to get a couple of teams. I'm a fan of Skaven, Humans, Skeletons and Dwarves. I have seen some teams for $100, and they are beautiful... and that is a bit out of my price range. I guess my question is this:

Who makes decently sculpted teams for a reasonable price? Also, is there someone distributing them in the USA so that I don't have to pay for overseas shipping?

Maybe someday I'll get the fancy teams, but for now since I am starting out I'd like to keep the costs down. Any advice would be appreciated.

See you on the pitch! :)

- Jeff

San Diego, CA
http://squadpainter.blogspot.com/

Reason: ''
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Re: Newbie in San Diego, CA

Post by Digger Goreman »

Many good companies.... I highly recommend, given your post, you check Impact miniatures (make a quick account and sign in for American pricing) as they have full teams for approximately $35.... Also, Tom Anders is an expert on Blood Bowl and one of those responsible for the current rule book....

SquadPainter
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SquadPainter »

DG -

Thanks for the tip! I went over to Impact and checked out their goods. I can see that they are well stocked with the things that I'll need... not just the figures but the dice, footballs and other bits as well. I'll definitely be ordering from them.

Valkyries or Middle Kingdom vs. ??? hmmm...

Maybe I'll get one $35 team and a fancier team?

Thanks again for the tip. If anything else comes to mind (inexpensive non-sports minis that work well), let me know!

- Jeff

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

I admit to constantly scanning eBay, though I hardly buy anymore....

Post wants in the Miniatures section of this forum... People are usually very helpful....

And feel free to visit my site: HTTP://www.graveyard-gothika.webs.com

Also, if you need anything, ask and I will look....

Lard
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lard »

For a guide to alternative miniatures sorted by team type, Check out http://forum.baconbreath.se/index.php?p ... -team-type