Hello from Cathay

Moderator: TFF Mods

Scintilla88
Rookie
Rookie

Hello from Cathay

Post by Scintilla88 »

Hi there,

I'm new old player who bought the recent Cyanide Blood Bowl 2 and have a massive urge to get back into the table top game and all it entails.

Really pleased to find this forum and to know that the game is very much alive and supported by some fantastic new sculpts from third parties as well (Still think there is a gap in the market for a really good dark elf team though)

I'm from the UK originally but currently in China. Anybody else out here? Failing that I get back to the UK a couple of times a year for an extended time so are there any clubs/meets in Dorset or Salisbury?

Reason: ''
Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: Hello from Cathay

Post by Darkson »

Scintilla88 wrote:Failing that I get back to the UK a couple of times a year for an extended time so are there any clubs/meets in Dorset or Salisbury?
There is a club (or two) in Salisbury, but I don't think they play Blood Bowl.

However...

We play in Andover. We don't play BB exclusively, but I try to run a league at least once a year and the more interested players we have, the more games we play: http://www.arbbl.com/forum/index.php
The Exiles League is based in the Bournemouth/Poole are. Currently they don't have a league going, but they're always up for one and I know a couple of new players on FB have been pointed their way in the last month or so: http://www.exilesleague.com/forum/index.php / Lunchmoney

Of course, hope you can find a game before you get back. ;)

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Nee how,

There's plenty of tournaments to choose from...

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=37676

:orc:

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Cakebowl is around Swindon and Wiltshire, you can usually find a pick up game with us!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Scintilla88
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Scintilla88 »

Thanks for your replies guys. When I'm back in the UK I will have a bit of time on my hands so I will definitely follow up on the local scene. Not sure I will be at a tournament level though!

In the mean time I will look to recruit an intrigued Canuck, continue with BB2 and get painting. I have a painted human team at home in UK already along with a ton of second ed miniatures. I'm also tempted to buy Virgil Games dwarves and Rolljordan's Norse too.

Cheers

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Scintilla88 wrote:Not sure I will be at a tournament level though!
Don't worry about that, many of us aren't but we still keep going to them. :wink:
As long as you know the rules, and as long as you're happy to have a laugh and not worried about winning all the time then you'll fit right in with the tournament scene.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Itchen Masack
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Itchen Masack »

Yea Scintilla, don't be put off by the word tournament. Very few of them are taken too seriously and are instead really quite relaxed and friendly with a wide range of coaching abilities. There also happens to be quite a few within reasonable driving distance of Dorset throughout the year :)

Scintilla88
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Scintilla88 »

Thanks guys, that's good to know.

I will keep an eye on that tournament thread. Some very drivable places, Swindon, Bognar, Bristol etc. I'm usually back in Jan/Feb time as well as July and August. School holidays here in China, I'm a teacher at an International school.

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Jan/Feb! Get yourself across the Bridge to the Welsh Open :orc:

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=41208

Also agree that the word tournament sounds intimidating but really its a great crowd, I only started this year and my first NAF sanctioned game was also at the Welsh Open.

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Scintilla88
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Scintilla88 »

Thanks for the encouragement Frogboy. :) I will definitely consider it.

How many people turn up for an average tournament?

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Absolutely varies. I've been to tournaments with 8 players, up to 20+.

The World Cup in November has 912 coaches, obviously that's nowhere near average ;)

But generally speaking, for a tournament within driving distance of any decent sized league, you can usually count on 10 or so locals and 5-20 coaches travelling in from the boonies :)

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

The UK southern events usually have anywhere between 20-40, the biggest has had 50 once iirc.
The NAFC (NAF Championship) is in Nottingham in May and gets up to 200 coaches.

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Welsh Open had 50 this year and Crumb Bowl also if i remember correctly.

But coming from someone who has never been going to tournaments, I would certainly recommend trying it out.

Scintilla88
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Scintilla88 »

Those are some pretty strong turn outs.

You've absolutely wetted my appetite.

Thanks guys.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Hopefully whetted it too ;)

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler