New to Blood Bowl

Moderator: TFF Mods

Which army is best suited to someone brand new to the game?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:31 pm

Human
38%
Orc
56%
Skaven
6%

Total votes: 16

Queek
Rookie
Rookie

New to Blood Bowl

Post by Queek »

Hi all,

Just got into Blood Bowl with the release of the new box set. I managed to pick up the Skavenblight Scramblers box on a whim in a local Travelling man store and have become obsessed since. I've managed to paint half the team up so far following the colours on the box and have managed to save enough money to get the main box set and can't wait to get some games under my belt.

I'm from Manchester, UK, so if anybody know of any leagues in the area I'd love to know where they play so I can lead my rats to glory.

Reason: ''
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Re: New to Blood Bowl

Post by lunchmoney »

Hello and welcome!
Regarding your poll question, they are teams, not armies. From those three I would say Orcs are the most forgiving to newer players. However some would say Humans. :)

Check out the league forum for leagues --> viewforum.php?f=79
Check out the tourney forum for tourneys --> viewforum.php?f=28

And enjoy :)

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Hi,

I voted Orcs because they don't die so easily. But Humans also are good starting and can score quicker.
Skaven die easier than humans but can score even quicker. Depends if you don't mind your players dieing but want to score more than twice a game. If loosing players would annoy you then go for Orcs, they are still cheap to replace when they die.

There's a big tournament in Stockport called Water Bowl I'm sure there's a league around, if not have you tried a local Games Workshop, I heard they might be doing leagues now. Might be a good place to start looking if you can't travel.

Maybe look out for this guy or send him a PM...
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1569

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
fire olli
Super Star
Super Star

Post by fire olli »

Hi Queek,

Yes there is a league in Manchester. There is no fixed venue, play at games club in stockport, games club in cheetham hill and various other location across Manchester.

There are two leagues, a vets league which is very easy going and you can play whenever . A premier league which is a fixed schedule and games get played every two weeks.

If you go to facebook page The waterbowl, Manchester BB you will find all the information. The guy that runs it is leipziger who is also on this forum.

Leipziger
Legend
Legend

Post by Leipziger »

Hey Queek! Yes, as Frogboy & Olli mentioned, there's plenty of bb going down at the Waterbowl. If you're on Facebook, our group is here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/WaterbowlMcr/

Any questions just ask away :)

Twitter:@wormito
Waterbowl fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/WaterbowlMcr/

Stunty Slam 14 - 10/09/22
Waterbowl Weekend 2023, Feb 18/19, NWGC

Team England Committee Member
Queek
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Queek »

Thank you to everyone for the info.

I've put armies as I'm delving into blood bowl from a love of 40k and Fantasy. I'll need to get used to using the term team or at least replace the word army with faction :roll:

I think I'm going to look into WaterBowl as I'm not far from Stockport at all and I have been to as it was known the North West Gaming Centre at Halem Mill. Hopefully I pick up some tips and tricks but I [hope I] have a good knowledge of how it all fits together from playing the Cyanide Blood Bowl.

As for the poll, I think I'm going to give Skaven a go first as I like the idea of fast play, however, it's nice to know what's going for Orcs as I'll probably fall back on them.

:EDIT:
Just on the subject of GW ran tournaments does anyone know of a store running one? I enquired at the GW in the centre of Bolton and the guy working there said that GW HQ have told them not to hold them as it detracts from selling the other models. I've been lied to GW staff before so thought I'd find out what other people know/have heard

Leipziger
Legend
Legend

Post by Leipziger »

Queek wrote:Thank you to everyone for the info.

I've put armies as I'm delving into blood bowl from a love of 40k and Fantasy. I'll need to get used to using the term team or at least replace the word army with faction :roll:

I think I'm going to look into WaterBowl as I'm not far from Stockport at all and I have been to as it was known the North West Gaming Centre at Halem Mill. Hopefully I pick up some tips and tricks but I [hope I] have a good knowledge of how it all fits together from playing the Cyanide Blood Bowl.

As for the poll, I think I'm going to give Skaven a go first as I like the idea of fast play, however, it's nice to know what's going for Orcs as I'll probably fall back on them.

:EDIT:
Just on the subject of GW ran tournaments does anyone know of a store running one? I enquired at the GW in the centre of Bolton and the guy working there said that GW HQ have told them not to hold them as it detracts from selling the other models. I've been lied to GW staff before so thought I'd find out what other people know/have heard
Ace. We are starting new premier league season w/c 23.1.17 if you fancy it. Details on the FB group & I'll pop a post in the league section on here.

We've got a weekend tournament in February (18/19) too:
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=42978

There is a GW tournament (one dayer) running at the Manchester Arndale store at some point. It was due to be in the Saturday of the Waterbowl tournament but I heard that they might be changing that due to the clash (check in store to make sure)

There's a one dayer on Saturday January 28th at Element Games too. £10 in, 3 games.

Skaven are a fine choice. I chuffing love them :) AG4 gutter runner nonsense ftw!

Queek
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Queek »

Thanks Leipziger.

I'll make sure to head down on the 23rd and see if I can get a game in while I'm there. I'll see how well I handle myself as a new coach before agreeing to a tournament :)

Leipziger
Legend
Legend

Post by Leipziger »

Queek wrote:Thanks Leipziger.

I'll make sure to head down on the 23rd and see if I can get a game in while I'm there. I'll see how well I handle myself as a new coach before agreeing to a tournament :)
Cool. I've spoken to EG and the games night will be on Tuesday 24th, as they close early on a Monday. 7pm start, but I'll be around from a bit earlier i imagine. If you would like to be in the league then I could do with knowing by the end of 22/1/17 so I can sort out the format/fixtures etc.

Are you on our FB group? If so, what is your real name?

Queek
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Queek »

I've not added the facebook group yet but I will later on today on break.

My real name is Jamie

Also I do intend on being part of the league. Anything after 7pm works with my shift no matter what day I'm in

Leipziger
Legend
Legend

Post by Leipziger »

Queek wrote:I've not added the facebook group yet but I will later on today on break.

My real name is Jamie

Also I do intend on being part of the league. Anything after 7pm works with my shift no matter what day I'm in
Great stuff :)

Leipziger
Legend
Legend

Post by Leipziger »

23 signed up already! I see there's a Jamie on the list on FB, is that you dude?