New to TFF and Bloodbowl. Got some Q's.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Small Acorn
Rookie
Rookie

New to TFF and Bloodbowl. Got some Q's.

Post by Small Acorn »

Hi all.

Bought the Bloodbowl 'core' set for my 2 sons (11 & 13) for Christmas along with a few other minature/table top games. They are new to Games Workshop type games and it's not something I did a lot of when I was younger so please excuse the questions if they've been asked a thousand times. I think it is fair to say that Bloodbowl has become their stand out favourite game and the three of us have been having Orc v Human matches since Xmas Day. Found this forum from a Bloodbowl group on Facebook for players in Wales which is where we are from.

We followed the instructions, learned the rules, played a few games and then gradually incorporated the advanced rules into the mix. Games are already becoming quite tactical and competitive between us lol. We have a bit of painting to do of the teams now but after that i'd like to possibly buy a couple more teams and expand what we have to give us a few more options so would like to hear peoples opinions on what to buy next.

I've noticed the special player cards that came with the core game and the team/squad building side of the game and I must confess, although it sounds like a lot of fun, I don't know how it works 100% so I have a few questions...

I get that different players are worth more than others, star players costing more again etc. Is there a list of prices for all the different players/positions for all the different teams? The rule book gives a basic cost for Orcs and Humans but after that where do I get the info?

Are the star player minatures available? If you buy star players whose cards didnt come with the core set do their cards come with them (eg dwarves, Skaven etc)?

When building a team am I right that it is typically £1,000,000 gold pieces to build a squad of 11 to 16 players? As well as the players you can add rerolls and skills to players can't you? What do the skills and rerolls cost in gold pieces each? Again is there a list of these with costs to work from? The instruction book touches on this but doesn't give a definitive list as such.

If we wanted to expand and play about with an Orc team or Human team and needed some more blitzers or catchers than came with the core box for example is it a case of buying spare players as they come up on Ebay or are there expansion packs? I read on a thread on this forum of coaches adapting Games Workshop figures into Bloodbowl players. I liked the sound of this. Would that be an option to build say an Orc team? As long as the players are listed on the roster and have their positions does it matter if they are a 40K Orc with a few modifications?

Thats all for now. Sorry for the long post but moving forward I think we'd like to have a go at buidling teams with star players and adding skills and I don't know how. Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Reason: ''
straume
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: New to TFF and Bloodbowl. Got some Q's.

Post by straume »

Welcome to the game! Check out this link for a handy overview of all teams and all star players they can use; https://www.thenaf.net/wp-content/uploa ... _NO_BG.pdf

Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

Welcome to Blood Bowl! :orc:

You've chosen a great game with a huge fan base and a rich history.
The game itself is around for over 30 years now and rules have evolved heavily in time. And the evolution started again with the release of the 2016 box set.

You can find PDFs online where all the available teams are listed, most being official rules teams, some are purely fans ideas. (Some of which you may even find in the New Concepts section of this forum.)
In general, since the release of the boxed set in 2016, all teams seem to undergo a revision and both miniatures and new rules are released bit by bit.
I don't know if there is a rules summary of all the released changes and new stuff.
Before the release, there was a PDF called "CRP rules set", basically a complete rule book of the game including all official teams and their rosters, Unfortunately a bit outdated here and there.
As far as I know, new rules have been released in the boxed set and until now two "Death Zone" expansion books. (I'm not sure if the "Spike! magazines also contain new rules and rosters.)

I personally will not adopt new rules before everything has been released and keep playing under CRP rules, that is why I can't tell you exactly what is to be found where.

The conversion of teams from other miniatures is a side of the hobby that I really love, although my conversion skills are very limited. Out there are awesome examples of teams that have been converted, some even better looking than original team releases. But be aware that the new Blood Bowl has seen an upgrade in miniature size and most older miniatures are a bit smaller compared to new teams! The only thing that is really important when you convert a team is to make absolutely and unmaistakebly clear, which miniature represents which position in your team. Some people help their oppponents by color coding the bases sides but still, seeing the miniature and knowing what it is, is helping a lot when playing the game. Please take your time and go through the Show Us Yer Teams thread in this forum to see some teams from GW, other companies and converted teams.

Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

Call that a long post, this is a long post! :lol:

Is there a list of prices for all the different players/positions for all the different teams?
The Teams of Legend document will probably be enough for you as a starting player, and it's free! Beyond that, the additional rules releases (two Death Zone supplements and four Spike Journal supplements, so far) detail any teams or new positionals that aren't on the Teams of Legend sheet (Goblins have a Doom Diver, for example).

Are the star player miniatures available?
Some are, most aren't. You can get some from Games Workshop, some from Forge World and some from 3rd party companies (Willy Miniatures, Black Scorpion etc.), some you can kitbash and convert up yourself!

If you buy star players whose cards didn't come with the core set do their cards come with them (eg dwarves, Skaven etc)?
They don't come with the miniatures. I'm pretty sure they do come in team card packs that come out with each team release. If you have the supplements with their rules, you don't really need the cards (as the stats and skills are in the books).

When building a team am I right that it is typically £1,000,000 gold pieces to build a squad of 11 to 16 players?
Depends what rules you are playing. Example: the league I play in (the mighty mighty SAWBBL) starts with 1.1m to create a team. Some tournaments might give you a big budget, allowing you to include star players and all the fun positionals. It varies.

As well as the players you can add re-rolls and skills to players can't you?
Approaching this one from a basic Blood Bowl out of the box angle, you can buy re-rolls, you can't buy skills (but you can earn them, via Star Player Points [SPPs], as detailed in Death Zone 1... I think!).

What do the skills and re-rolls cost in gold pieces each? Again is there a list of these with costs to work from?
See question 1. Though it's worth adding re-rolls usually cost double to buy if you're playing in a league and want to add them throughout the season.

If we wanted to expand and play about with an Orc team or Human team and needed some more blitzers or catchers than came with the core box for example is it a case of buying spare players as they come up on Ebay or are there expansion packs?
Your options are as follows;
- eBay (or bitz sites)
- Buy another team box just to get the 'missing' positionals
- Team booster packs from Forge World (there's usually a bit of a wait time for this - we still haven't got the Human ones and that team was released in 2016!). Also, they don't always have the minis you'd want. The recent Orc team booster would still leave you one Blitzer short of a full team, but that's another Dickens' tale...
3rd party miniatures.
- Other miniatures from Games Workshop's non-Blood Bowl ranges (I use Skaven Deathrunners from the Silver Tower game as my 'missing' Skaven Gutter Runners from the Blood Bowl team box set because they're similar sculpts, for example).
- Borrowing from other players.
- Converting your own (that's my preference, but not necessarily accessible if you're brand new to the hobby).

Beyond that, here's some reading material to get you started:

The Art Of Blocking (https://www.thenaf.net/wp-content/uploa ... ocking.pdf)

FUMBBL’s Taouch guide (https://fumbbl.com/help:The+Taoch!+of+B ... or+Newbies)

The 1000 Losses Playbook (https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ednwzorq89gc ... %20Ed1.pdf).

It's a long read (I'm still only halfway through it myself!), but there's loads of good stuff in there, if you can commit the time to it.

More team-specific, the BBtactics (https://bbtactics.com/) site is a great resource. It gives suggested team builds and tactics and, for me, the first thing I do when a player skills-up is have a look on there for the recommended progression route. I might not always follow it, but it's a great guide to get you thinking.

If you have considered playing online, the 145 Club (https://fumbbl.com/p/group&group=2922&op=view) on FUMBBL (https://fumbbl.com/) (a Java-based Blood Bowl client) is quite a welcoming league for coaches looking to get better. The Ranked option on there can lead to some pretty bad maulings if you're not sure what you're doing, but the 145 is built for new coaches and experienced coaches get handicapped (only being allowed to use linemen, having to take stunty teams etc.) so it draws experienced players who want to help newer or less experienced coaches. You can also spectate games on FUMBBL, which lets you watch games and pick up ideas on what works.

You've obviously found TFF, it's a really active Blood Bowl forum, with a good collection of coaches always willing to offer advice which is (mostly!) useful. I asked for basic pointers on a thread here (http://talkfantasyfootball.org/viewtopi ... 27&t=44338) and got some good feedback. The Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/bloodbowlcommunity/) is less useful; there's a lot of bad advice on there from people who don't play the game very often/well.

Finally, here’s an article written on the NAF (the worldwide network for Blood Bowl coaches and tournaments, you'll want to join - it's only a fiver!) website about being new to tournaments https://www.thenaf.net/2017/07/new-to-tournaments/. It’s written by one of the most charming, handsome, witty and modest Blood Bowl players I’ve ever met, he’s a real legend.

Oh, one more thing, as you're learning to play with your kids (a great way to learn!), might be worth reading these from Sann0638 and myself about different ways to learn the game.

http://www.sann0638.co.uk/teaching-the-kids-blood-bowl/

https://www.thenaf.net/2018/06/learning-to-love-sevens/

Hit me up if you have any more questions, always happy to help.

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Small Acorn wrote:
If we wanted to expand and play about with an Orc team or Human team and needed some more blitzers or catchers than came with the core box for example is it a case of buying spare players as they come up on Ebay or are there expansion packs? I read on a thread on this forum of coaches adapting Games Workshop figures into Bloodbowl players. I liked the sound of this. Would that be an option to build say an Orc team? As long as the players are listed on the roster and have their positions does it matter if they are a 40K Orc with a few modifications?
Others have answered the rules questions and if you have any more specific questions then this site is a great resource. GW does sell some stars and booster kits through Forgeworld, but they tend to be a bit pricey and some of the booster packs and most of the stars are missing.

If you are interested in converting players from other kits then I wrote an article for the NAF site a couple of years back about this topic. I also did one about how to differentiate the positionals from the other players and another about How to convert star players.

These were before the re-release of Blood Bowl, so some of the names of star players and positionals are a bit out of date. Most of the models are from GW, but there are a few from other manufacturers in there too.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Small Acorn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Small Acorn »

Thanks so much guys for the replies. I've got all your links to start working through now! Awesome! :D

Be back with some more questions soon no doubt. Many thanks! :)