The woods are getting chopped...

Moderator: TFF Mods

Yuv48
Rookie
Rookie

The woods are getting chopped...

Post by Yuv48 »

Hello everyone,

Evidently, I'm new, so treat me gently... :-)

I realy like to play the Wood-Elf team, but I never seem to get them very far. I can score a fast 2 round TD when I recieve, but get my @$$ kicked when I kick, and it's all down hill from there.

Do any of you have any ideas as to how to manage the first games? Maybe a good starting lineup if I start a new team?

The realy annoying thing is, after a few games they get to be a fairly good team. It's getting them there that's the problem...

Thanks,

Yuval

Reason: ''
sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

Dodge away and only give them 1 square and 1 hit a turn, or as close to that as possible. Swing people around behind his cage. Cover all his zones and attack whereever it gets weak.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
Yuv48
Rookie
Rookie

Maybe because I knew I need Further explanaion...

Post by Yuv48 »

>Dodge away and only give them 1 square and 1 hit a turn, or as close to that as possible.>
That one I got

>Swing people around behind his cage.> Around who? What Cage?

>Cover all his zones and attack whereever it gets weak> Again, 'his'? What gets weak...?

Thank you,

Y

sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

Around who? What Cage?
when he has the ball and puts people around it, thats who, thats what.
Again, 'his'? What gets weak...?
His defensive formation, sooner or later it will have someone out in a bad spot, exploit it.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
NAF Member #4329
Fronko
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Fronko »

Well, wood elf defense can be a hard thing but also a very effective one, if done correctly. You need to take care of several things.

a) You will never stand up against anyone in a straight fight. So be sure to offer your opponent as few blocks as possible. As mentioned, when he moves towards you, alwys try and dodge away one square or two, offering as little advancement space for your oppo. Your goal is to delay his advance as much as possible, so he is getting nervous and eventually makes a mistake for you to exploit.

b) Be sure to always have someone available for those aforementioned mistakes. Have your wardancers or maybe a thrower nearby, in case he is losing the ball, so you have someone to dash in and grab it from right under their nose. After that get the ball to safety, handover/quick-pass it to someone else, who tzhen makes a run for it.

c) Always have someone in scoring range. Even your linemen have a very good speed, place one in your oppos back field, so if the opportunity arises, pop the ball loose (see b)) and then get it to your scorer (have thrower handy). There is nothing like a touchdown in the same turn, when your oppo loses the ball!

d) Play an aggressive defense. When your opponent cages up (i.e. surrounds his ball carrier with lots of team mates), put a few guys in tacklezones on the rear of his cage. That forces him to open up the cage and may give your wardancers the opportunity for a shot at the ball carrier. Make sure, your WDs have tackle or strip ball, proves to be invaluable.

e) Don't let them cage up. Put pressure on them from the moment you kick. Have someone with the kick skill and place the ball far in their half. Due to thier slow speed, orcs usually can't get to the ball then, or at least not get it into a safe cage. That's, when you need to strike. Your fast movers (Wardancers, perhaps catchers) can then try to dash in and rid them of the ball, before they can get a tight grip on it.

This is all the advice I can give you without reaching a word count of over 1000. :) Try to integrate this into your play and you'll be giving them a hard time. If you need more advice, you can always come back. :)

[img]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p41/DesTroy1968/nba3-1.gif[/img]

Official wesleytj fan.
Orin
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Orin »

I'm a fairly new BB-coach myself and have played with WoodElves most.

So how do you combine point a and point d? I must say I have until now never thought about breaking a cage from behind. it sounds like a good idea, I'll try it. It's fun seeing the cage of honourable opponent crawl ahead 2 squares a turn. The problem is, with the WoodElf Armour of only 7, it is hard to spare a lineman to hang around the opponents end-zone. I need every elf I got to tie up my opponent's players.

So point B would justify giving a thrower Nerves of Steel, wouldn't it? And then just hope he doesn't get beaten into a bloody pulp after having passed the ball to safety?

The truth of the BBRC 2004 finally hits home:
"What!? No more Dauntless Ogres!?"
sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

So how do you combine point a and point d?
Ues people with Block at least, dodge as well if possible in the back of the defensive formation. The trick is to minimize blocks against u while making the ones they do use, to your advantage. If he/she moves enough people to make the 2 die blocks to the back of the cage, he/she is going the wrong way, making it harder to score.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
NAF Member #4329
Fronko
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Fronko »

Orin wrote:So how do you combine point a and point d?
Well, the trick is to choose, whick blocks are essential and which are not. Generally speaking, you should avoid as many blocks as you can. But in order to get to the ball, you have to blitz the ball carrier at some point (unless he is failing an action of his own, but we can't count on that). For these blitzes you best take your wardancers, they have the skill to do it (strip ball, tackle sure helps, once you've got them developed a bit). Just remember to only block the ballcarrier himself or someone, who let's you get a shot at the ball carrier if moved out of the way a bit.
Orin wrote:The problem is, with the WoodElf Armour of only 7, it is hard to spare a lineman to hang around the opponents end-zone. I need every elf I got to tie up my opponent's players.
It may be a probelm, but it will be very rewarding. And with a MV of 7 and 2 GoForIts you can move up to nine squares, even with a lineman. Catchers are even faster, so you don't necessarily need them far away from the action, just make sure, you always have someone, who, once you freed the ball can take it and break away. You don't necessarily need to make the TD in that turn, often it is sufficient to just get far enough away, so they can't blitz you next turn.
Orin wrote:So point B would justify giving a thrower Nerves of Steel, wouldn't it? And then just hope he doesn't get beaten into a bloody pulp after having passed the ball to safety?
NoS is a good trait for your thrower, agreed. Thing is, it's a trait, so it is hard to obtain. BTW, I would always choose NoS over Strong Arm on an elven thrower. There has been a large discussion on whether NOS or strong arm would be better, and there have been many who said Strong Arm, but I still believe in NOS. :) Decide for yourself.

Official wesleytj fan.
Orin
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Orin »

This is good advice, since my main opponent (my girlfriend with her undead) tends to make a really small cage: 1 ghoul with ball, with 4 wights, the rest of her ghouls and a zombie or two on the 8 directly adjacent squares. Try cracking that! Although I did once push het ghoul of the pitch by running into the side of the cage and pushing a zombie into the ghoul, and the ghoul into the crowd.
Luckily for me, her cage moves very slowly and is easily stalled for turns on end.

Fronko
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Fronko »

If that's the case, try isolating the remaining few players (the two mummies and a zombie (?)) and block/foul them out of the play, using only a few of your players to stall the cage. I know, it's hard, to get mummies off the pitch, but if you CAN do it, you will have a much easier life afterwards. Plus, maybe she will loosen her cage to assist the mummies, so you might get a shot at the ball carrier.

Official wesleytj fan.
Orin
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Orin »

Plus, maybe she will loosen her cage to assist the mummies, so you might get a shot at the ball carrier.
You haven't met my girlfriend, have you? Once she has the ball, she'll never let it go. She like a pitbull and I have to pry the ball from her cold dead fingers.

This is exactly the tactic I tried, and at least it works in the way that nobody gets to score, but she'll keep that cage intact!!
We're both finding out which tactics work and which do not, and such a small cage does not work. most of the times, her zombies get in the way of her ball carrier

My girlfriend reads the thread and says "HaHa" :wink:

Fronko
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Fronko »

Orin wrote:You haven't met my girlfriend, have you?
Actually, I haven't. :) Is it worth it?
This is exactly the tactic I tried, and at least it works in the way that nobody gets to score, but she'll keep that cage intact!!
Well, if she keeps her players so tightly packed, there is a way to blitz the ball carrier: I'll try to visualize, no laughing please. :)

AXXX2
1XBXO
AXXXA

A = assist for you (negating undead assists)
X = undead cage
B = undead ball carrier
1,2 = your hitters
O = empty square

Your hitters should have block and #2 preferably tackle/stripball. Then hit with #1, pushing the ball carrier out of the middle of the cage. Then use #2 to hit the ball carrier. Hopefully he will lose the ball and it lands in a place you can take advantage of...
Caution: This is only schematics. You need to work out how to achieve this in a running play, esp. how to use your blitz and so on ... But the basic idea should be clear!
my girlfriend reads the thread and says "HaHa" :wink:
Hi girlfriend (does she have a name?)! Only seldomly I have seen a girlfriend of someone play BB ... or a girl at all, that is. :) :smoking: :smoking: :smoking:

Official wesleytj fan.
Orin
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Orin »

Fronko wrote:
Orin wrote:You haven't met my girlfriend, have you?
Actually, I haven't. :) Is it worth it?
Right, you can fill in the only sensible answer to this one yourself.
Hi girlfriend (does she have a name?)! Only seldomly I have seen a girlfriend of someone play BB ... or a girl at all, that is. :) :smoking: :smoking: :smoking:
Her name is Laura, of Lau for short. It's true that there don't seem that many girl coaches around. maybe it's the mindless on-pitch violence. girls,:roll: