ECBBL vs Wodell Wanderers - Charity Shield Report

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

ECBBL vs Wodell Wanderers - Charity Shield Report

Post by Marcus »

Yesterday, coaches from the ECBBL took up the challenge offered by Deathwing and Longfang for a friendly scrimmage in preparation for the Spiky Tournament.

Coaches Ian, Justin and Myself loaded our prospective teams into the team bus and headed off ready to test our mettle.

Deathwing's High Elves vs Marcus' Skaven

On the way up I was tossing up what team to play. My skaven coaching has been a bit naff of late so I thought I'd give them a run out first and see how I went. If I was utterly appalled by the scoreline I had Deadies and Orcs in the team bus who could be kitted up at a moment's notice.

We won the toss and elected to recieve. Starting out with a pass play I ran up for the score only to fumble the ball in the backfield leaving Woody an opening to harrass the throwers. Some appalling dicerolls by the High Elves left Woody cringing as we rolled out for a touchdown pass... inaccurate to the GR waiting in the endzone. The ball sailed over his head and into the crowd. Luckily the ball sailed in to the stand reserved for ECBBL fans and the ball was tossed back in a mere 2 squares from which it bounced back into the waiting hands of my Gutter Runner who rerolled the catch for a touchdown.

Woody has the best "I don't f***ing believe it" face in Bloodbowl :D
I also have arguably the most annoying cackle.

1-0

We kick short to the elves and they roll the ball back to deep cover, We run down pass interference but Woody threads the needle to perfection and his Lion Warrior breaks away with strong flying cover. We get tacklezones on the ball carrier but manage not to put him under too much pressure. A block and a blitz and it's 1-1.

The Elves are a man down for the next drive which leaves us enough room to set up a pocket deep in Elf territory. Woody's run of bad dice continued as he doubleskulled a blitz on the cage, leaving us to run in uncontested to go up 2-1.

Just when Woody was thinking his luck couldn't get any worse we rolled a blitz for the next kickoff. The ball scattered right up to the line and we pummelled and surrounded the area, hoping to get the onside kick. The ball scattered away from the Rats' clutches but it was close in our half with a lot of support.

Woody threw everything he had at getting the ball back and a ruck ensued. Believing that a touchdown was inevitable as soon as the blitz had been rolled the Rats' coaching staff had ducked downstairs to the commissary to get some warpstone dogs and orca cola and were not present on the sidelines for the next few minutes.

The Skaven, thus deprived of intelligent coaching, ran around like chickens with parkinson's disease, blocking all the wrong people and generally burnt rerolls and fell over.

Woody snatched the initiative and drove downfield for a TD.

2-2

Lacking in rerolls and players by this stage, the elves had no reply left for a 2 turn skaven touchdown and we ran it in in the last turn to secure the 3-2 win.

Absolutely class game that could easily have gone either way. I think the luck factor was the only thing that separated us as coaches and I'm looking forward to a rematch.

I'd like to echo Ian's thanks to Deathwing and Longfang for their hospitality and for a great match.

Roll on Spiky Tournament!

Marcus

Reason: ''
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Cheers dude, nice report! :D
To be fair I felt the game was pretty much over when the Blitz came up at the start of the second half. Intention was to trust to AV8 over the Skaven's 7, play some ball control and hope to gain enough numerical superiority to turn the ball over on the following kick. By the time the blitz turn was done I had a BH DW and another KO'd lineman, which pretty much scuppered my plan. I felt I did pretty well to get it back to 2-2 under the circumstances.
One thing Marcus forgot to mention was the extra TRR he picked up on the last kick off. (Cheering fans or Brilliant coaching? I forget.)
Whatever, it was an even D6 roll (both FFs were 6), Marcus gets a TRR back, and I had 8 Helfs with 2 turns to hold against 11 Skaven. Not an ideal situation! :D The first Block of his turn 7 with a linerat comes up Skull, Pow/skull. Without the extra TRR it would have ended 2-2.
Great game, a real pleasure, throroughly enjoyed it and looking forward to the next time! :D
-Woody

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

Actually I think I still had a RR in hand for the second half.

Cheering fans did net me a much needed extra reroll in the first half though.

Marcus

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

My first game was against Spyke. His rookie Amazons vs my Orcs. I believe Spyke hadn't played Amazons much before and after this game he rejected them entirely in favour of Dark Elves.

Anyway the 1st half was quite one sided as I managed to knock down and knock out a load of his players leaving him badly outnumbered. This combined with a bunch of failed dodges made it quite straight forward for me to turn him over and score.

2nd half was far more open game as after receiving and forming a nice cage I snake eyed a GFI while moving the cage in my 2nd turn - leaving the ball carrier open to the blitz. This of course happened and unable to get enough players back to cover Spyke managed to equalise.

Finally I managed to drive downfield and equalise after some fairly desperate defence as I picked of the ladies one by one. IIRC he finished with 6 players out of the game.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

The 2nd game was against Longfang. This was one of the best games I've played in a long time. It was extremely close with his humans just edging out my orcs.

He received and, IIRC fumbled the pickup leaving the ball in front of the his players and right next to a couple of BOBs and his Ogre. However he had managed to get ~3 players behind my lines. From there on in it was a desperate struggle to get control of the ball and to safety. 3 times I managed to pick up the ball, but lacking the mobility to get to safety he always pulled off the sack. Finally I managed to get into a position to make a short pass to blitzer who could run upfield - and thanks to the blizzard was probably uncatchable. However the pass was inaccurate and he managed to pickup and run in a TD.

In the 2nd half I formed a nice cage - BOBs on 3 corners which gradually made its way upfield while a couple of my blitzers tried to break free of the defence and a line orc distracted his Ogre. Longfang defended brilliantly, using TZ's to restrict the route my cage could take and removing any easy path to the end zone.

In the end I rolled out of the cage and tried a pass to the only free blitzer. Needless to say I failed the catch :( and the ball fell loose. Thankfully he wasn't particularly able to gain control of the ball and I was finally establishing a numerical advantage - with 3 KOs. However it wasn't enough and Longfang managed to keep me out with a couple of good blitzing moves.

Overall in the game I didn't feel I got many breaks. I never really managed to get those couple of early casualties or KOs that can make all the difference and both short passes failed, either of which would have given me a vital TD. Nor did it help that Longfang was lucky on his blitzes and managed to put my ball carrier down every time he tried.

I'm really glad to have played the game though since I'll be playing my Orcs again in a couple of weeks time and a real hard fought game like that teaches a lot more than one sided games.

Ian

longfang
Legendz Bedo Legend

Post by longfang »

Cheers Ian.

That was a prety tough game for me too. Basically I was on the defence for the entire 16 turns. I recieved, fumbled in turn 1 and watched the ball bounce off into orc territory. The game for me was about sacking your ball carrier and stealing a touchdown. Whether the passing game is part of the way you play or I forced you to pass, you were unlucky with your passes. I did get good blitz rolls but non of them were easy sacks, I really had to work hard and "roll lots" :wink: It kind of made up for my butter fingers thrower and non-dodging catchers which cost me a few turnovers. It was a really good "play by the seat of your pants" game for me and full of drama. I'll look forward to the "away leg" rematch.

[size=75]Del. [color=red]Tramp Champ. Media Tart.[/color][/size]

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334#t=14334]Hall of Famer[/url]
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Ian wrote:I believe Spyke hadn't played Amazons much before and after this game he rejected them entirely in favour of Dark Elves.
He played them in Amsterdam, where they spent most of our game on their backs as I became an expert in rolling precisely seven on my armour rolls.
marcus wrote:Woody has the best "I don't f***ing believe it" face in Bloodbowl
Never was a truer word written (and I can imagine him having used it a fair bit during the PBeM game we're playing at the mo...). I think it's the accusing stare at his figures like its THEIR fault that does it.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Marcus wrote:Actually I think I still had a RR in hand for the second half.

Cheering fans did net me a much needed extra reroll in the first half though.

Marcus
Nope, no reroll in hand at that point, double checked with LF. Still, I'd be happy to lose all my games if they were that enjoyable! :D

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

longfang wrote:Whether the passing game is part of the way you play or I forced you to pass, you were unlucky with your passes.
Do yourself credit, you forced me into the pass. The 1st one it was the best chance to stop you scoring anyway, and the 2nd one I got frustrated trying to break down your defence. I ought to have waited a couple more turns before passing the ball though.

I'm looking forward to the rematch too.

Ian