NAF Tournament in Ann Arbor, MI. Nov 23, 24 2002

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

TH.Lapin wrote:Oh yes I forgot to mention. If you check out the group photo on the House Rulez site you'll see most of the people who attended the tourney, hence the term "group photo" :wink:

Can anyone, who wasn't at the tourney, guess who Galak is in the photo?
Well let's see, we all know who you are from various sources..John and Ant I met at Res...both Ian and Cam appear in this photo and the Canada Gamesday pic, and Cam's easily identified by checking out the Orion pics, which means I've got Ian by a process of elimination...
I think I've got Kolja, but he made it difficult by a)only showing his back in the Orion pics and b) Dodging the gamesday pic altogether!
I've got 6 of 13 nailed, so Tom's one of the remaining 7. Haven't got a clue beyond that!
More clues required...

Reason: ''

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Twist
Veteran
Veteran

Photos, etc

Post by Twist »

Yep, I took a whole wack of photos, but I haven't finished the roll. I'll get them developed straight to CD again sometime this week.

And Kolja, I moved my turn marker the 2nd time because I saw you looking at it! LOL!

Twist.

BKBBL
http://bkbbl.com/
Kolja_TBBF
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Kolja_TBBF »

"And Kolja, I moved my turn marker the 2nd time because I saw you looking at it! LOL!"

And Cam, I didn't remind you to use 'mighty blow' to break my linerats armor because you always beat me in tourneys!
I like our games, maybe they are a bit cut-throat but as long as we know thats the way its gonna be, then its fun. No holding back, eh?

And besides, I wouldn't have forced the illegal proceedure call if you hadn't had a reroll to spend on it...
Hehehehehe

Kolja

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

TH.Lapin wrote: Can anyone, who wasn't at the tourney, guess who Galak is in the photo?

Oh wait...I think I see him...

Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/
CyberHare
Star Player
Star Player

Post by CyberHare »

LOL that's fantastic. Can I use that for the next issue of House Rulez?

Hmm let's see another clue... How about. If you are the Galak fig, Tom is to your left

Brian St.James

Death Bowl IV - Only the best will survive!
Find out more at www.TheDeathBowl.com
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

This was the sole thing I dreaded from showing up in person at the tournament. Ah well. I'll give you all one other hint ... I never thought of my self as short ... but d*mn I felt like midgit walking around a room full of 6'+ gents. I spent some time talking to Paul just to ease my neck.

Galak

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

TH.Lapin wrote:LOL that's fantastic. Can I use that for the next issue of House Rulez?
I'll do a better one if you want to use it, I was only messing around in between Pbem turns.

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

Wow the choas cup looks cool and a higher detailed mithril cup than this first run they did from years ago, take it the blood bowl is going to be the same as the one out already, never thought much of the dungeon bowl design myself but it don't look bad either.

Da Scum
Veteran
Veteran

Tournament Report

Post by Da Scum »

Seeing as all the other gits are posting their reports I figured I should tell the tale of what happened to the Gobbos...who still think everything was rigged and demand a better accounting of pre-game bribes. :smoking:

1st Game - The Crushers, Dwarves, Paul Vlamis.
Hard to believe the first game could decide everything later, but it's here that the winner of 2nd place was determined. 7 boneheads in the first Five turns quickly decided that the Scum were going to be on the defence. Irony was that the Troll-slayers went down to the Trolls! The game degenerated into a wonderful laugh fest as poor Paul had trouble keeping a straight-face as the Goblin's coach berated his team for it's incredible incompetence. 2 Deaths, 3 Critical and 4 Badly Hurts and the Stunties marched on to an incredible Many-0 win. (That's what the scoreboard at Ivor Biggin stadium said...bug the host for photos.) Never have I lost a game so badly and enjoyed every moment of it.

2nd Game - The Dudes Who Hit Hard, Norse, Gabe Hinman
Looks like the karma that ran over my gobma came back to haunt my opponent. Fouls galore ran across the field as Hob-nobbed boots laid the beats into the norse. Accusations of a biased Halfling ref appear as time and again the Scum were called, only to win the arguement! Classic moment was having his Minotaur blow a 3 dice attack on a lowly Goblin, have his armour crack and end up a statistic! With the Goblins getting their first win of the tournament the Norse went on a fouling rampage, racking up the casualties they needed to pull ahead of the Scum in that catagory.

3rd Game - D.O.A., Dwarves, Ethan Rippon
With things looking good, the officials saw fit to put the fix back on and send the OTHER dwarf team against the Goblins. (Funny, when did the top Skaven take on two dwarves huh?) And it looked good for a while as the Scum took a quick lead on a dwarf turn-over...then it went all down-hill from there. Three ejections on fouls, boneheaded blitzs and THREE triple skulls with the Trolls made it possible for them to get ahead 2-1. When the Goblins got even close to evening the score, well time to blow all the easy rolls and trip on a simple dodge twice. At least this game was close and I only suffered 4 casualties and no deaths.

4th Game - Chaos Wasters, Chaos, Tom Anders
Great, I am facing a man who uses a Storm-Giant for a ref. And having him a halfling coach of some experience means he knows all the evil tricks I can pull with a bunch of stunties! Well if the Scum are going out their going the way they came in...fleeing for their lives. Right off the first drive he sends one of the Trolls off with a removed leg, which fails to regenerate of course! The Goblins somehow manage to knock several of his team to his ground, but can't get the boots to penetrate any of his thicker than hell armour. Soon he's up 1-0, and I get to have the fun of driving back. A mad scrabble up the side-line ends with me losing possession, but with him unable to get a score. 2nd half is a nail-biter, he manages to drive the Scum all the way deep into their own end before they manage to even get the ball! At this point, seeing as I've failed every "easy" play, time to go "insane gobbo!". And so begins a wild dash up the side-line by TBBF legend Zippy Hands past the entire Wasters. Tom fires 8 Block dice and I have to make 9 dodges to get into the endzone. The next kick-off is my worst result, touch-back and quick-snap. It should be an easy score...and now the Scum pull off the miracle to stop the last drive, dodging through HIS ENTIRE TEAM to get back, stop the ball, get the ball, and hurl it back up. In all it was something like Twenty-six dodge rolls, 8 GFI and miracle blocks. Meanwhile he again just couldn't knock a single player down.

Overtime: The Scum win their first flip all tournament, and so grab the kick-off. The Fans chuck a rock and nail his piling-on Chaos warrior to the K.O. box, thinning the defence. (As Tom noted I was the only coach who had a higher FF, 9 to his 5.) The Gobs begin fouling and remove another Beast-warrior, but get called on the play. As Chaos raced down the side for the grounded ball the Scum began swinging around to find a way to get the ball. Again they managed to grab it, including many miracle dodges and several GFI's to turn the ball over. And they begin the mad swing around the field and down the other side of the field. Slowly the Scum managed a wild march down the field, while the rest of the team tied up the Chaos players at every step. Finally the Scum entered with the winning TD in the last play of OT. This had to be one of the best and most challenging game I have played in years. And it showed what Goblins can do when they decide they've got nothing to loss...and aren't stuck against dwarves every game!

I had a fantastic time lads, and it was a thrill and pleasure to know that the best players in the world don't just exist in the Toronto area...even if admittedly most of them ARE there. :smoking: I look forward to seeing them all again at Orion, and next year we'll be sure not to get draw against all the dwarf teams!

And sorry about their bloated stats Cam., next time YOU can play them ok?

Even the Goblin coach gets a +1 to injury rolls! Ow!
Twist
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Twist »

:lol:

Twist.

BKBBL
http://bkbbl.com/
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Re: Tournament Report

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Da Scum wrote:It should be an easy score...and now the Scum pull off the miracle to stop the last drive, dodging through HIS ENTIRE TEAM to get back, stop the ball, get the ball, and hurl it back up. In all it was something like Twenty-six dodge rolls, 8 GFI and miracle blocks. Meanwhile he again just couldn't knock a single player down.
This pretty much sums up how 3 of my 4 games at U-Con went. By the way DaScum pulled off the above with no team rerolls. I don't want to EVER here how unrandom the dice rolls are in PBeM ... Nuffle in real life is a much harsher taskmaster than anything he does in the virtual world.

I would like to note that of my 3 losses, I really felt that both AnthonyTBBF and Da Scum played solid games and I cannot just blame Nuffle for my losses. They were both coaches that were enjoyable to play against. The fact that in their two games I went a total of 24 turns without rolling a single POW meant I just wasn't the opponent I could have been, but it was still a pleasure to met and play both of them in good matches.

Galak

Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

It seems you all had a great time!!
Congratulation.

May be some of you will come to Res II and then we will met :)

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
CyberHare
Star Player
Star Player

Post by CyberHare »

[quote="DeathwingI'll do a better one if you want to use it, I was only messing around in between Pbem turns.[/quote]

Great, I can send you the original picture.It should be a little easier to work with than the compressed JPEG I put up on the web. Though not a lot easier as the original is only 72 DPI

Brian St.James

Death Bowl IV - Only the best will survive!
Find out more at www.TheDeathBowl.com
Devil's Advocate
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Devil's Advocate »

You guys have all described the convention better than I could. I had a great time and was shocked to discover I came in second! It was good to put faces to the names I see here all the time.

See you all next year!!

Devil's Advocate, aka Paul, aka the Crushers

P.S. For anyone looking to purchase a painted dwarf team with a proven record... the Crushers will be going up on eBay within the next week! (I'll post when it is up)