Waterbowl Weekender 2009 - February 21/22 - SOLD OUT

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

lauth81
Star Player
Star Player

Post by lauth81 »

regarding the testing of LRB6 rules ...

quick note on races:

- There seemed no effect on dwarves and undead (I played 3 undead teams over the weekend). And given the number of coaches who choose those team, they certainly didn't loose any popularity

- Agree that the tourney setup (allowing stars, chefs, skill selectsion esp the 4 singles/2doubles choice) favours some teams heavilly. Undead come to mind again.

- lack of elves in the tourney. Out of 54 coaches, only 3 or 4 took any Elves (if I didn't miscount while going through the matches on the NAF site)

Reason: ''
The deepest voice in Blood Bowl (according to Pippy)
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

lauth81 wrote:regarding the testing of LRB6 rules ...

- There seemed no effect on ... undead (I played 3 undead teams over the weekend).
Really? So the fact I had 8 players to start the 2nd half rather than 10 had no effect on our game? :wink:

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
lauth81
Star Player
Star Player

Post by lauth81 »

Joemanji wrote:
lauth81 wrote:regarding the testing of LRB6 rules ...

- There seemed no effect on ... undead (I played 3 undead teams over the weekend).
Really? So the fact I had 8 players to start the 2nd half rather than 10 had no effect on our game? :wink:
of course it had. But I don't think it was because of LRB 6 rules.

The deepest voice in Blood Bowl (according to Pippy)
Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Post by Podfrey »

Yeah, the concensus of opinion seems to be that the Halfling's have received too big a boost. Removal of Loner is a massive change, and affects the way that the team works (Treemen can now act early in a turn and take 2D blocks rather than risk 3D blocks or act later on). The Chef though is the real fly in the ointment (or p!ss in the pot if you prefer). At 100K it makes the Halfling player make a choice as to whether he is taken or not, based on equal merit either way. At 50K he becomes an instant no-brainer.

I'm not sure where to add my voice, but the Chef change needs to be dropped from what I experienced and saw.

I didn't play against Undead or Dwarves or Wood Elves, but none of them seemed to be doing too badly. The skills system was friendly to most, but that aside they all seemed to be fine with or without the changes. I'm still unsure why WE Catchers need nerfing when it's the Wardancer that's the main problem though....

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

lucifer wrote:I'm still unsure why WE Catchers need nerfing when it's the Wardancer that's the main problem though....
As I understand it they have changed the catcher to remove the OTS option (or easy one anyway). The idea being (IIRC) that WEs are a great team in general play, and the cheap use of OTS on top of that boosts their win ratio too much.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

Unfortunately there didn't seem to be enough WEs around to get a proper feel for them under LRB6. I certainly didn't play them. Think Zfurelli was using Woodies if he's around to give feedback?

And it looked to me as though Undead are still on track with two of the most consistent coaches with undead returning 5/0/1 and 3/3/0 records (Joemanji, Wightlord) - business as usual!

I found the apothecary very handy for Lizards - it never failed me in 6 games. Making a KO into a stun was priceless on one or two occasions. The new rules also meant the apo worked automatically on a '9' result (BH) on a skink.

And I have to agree about Halfings:
50k chef + no loner + stars = Tier 2

Been listening to the CD too - great work! Some quality tracks on there by Elbow, Tom Jones, Placebo, Sneaker Pimps...

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
Ironjaw
Crassest person in Blood Bowl

Post by Ironjaw »

pippy wrote:Some quality tracks on there by Elbow, Tom Jones, Placebo, Sneaker Pimps...
...MumboJerry

Mr 1-in-20
Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

Played Mumbojerry in the last round. Nice guy.

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
PubBowler
Legend
Legend

Post by PubBowler »

Pippy wrote: Think Zfurelli was using Woodies if he's around to give feedback?
Think they were bashed off the pitch in most of the games.
Not sure that can be related to the Catcher nerf.

My game against Undead was easier when they were a player down.
Got them down to 5 players, something I'd didn't expect.

Also played an Orc team with a chainsaw that due to the cost increase had to drop a reroll.
Definitely a factor in my win.

Team Scotland Record:
EuroBowl 2009: 3-2-1

Gimmicks>Shennanigans>Everything Else
mubo
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mubo »

lauth81 wrote: of course it had. But I don't think it was because of LRB 6 rules.
An extra 10k on the mummies and skellies means that undead have to take one less zombie at 110. So under LRB5 one extra zombie would have been available.
Pippy wrote:Played Mumbojerry in the last round. Nice guy.
Thanks. And thanks for taking your bad dice like a man, unlike the guys on the neighbouring tables...

My take on LRB6:

Halflings- not top tier by any means, but much better than they should be. I didn't see anyone with 2 guards and Bertha bigfist, which was a surprise. The whole point of halflings is that you should be embarrassed to lose against them with a proper team, and I'm not sure that's the case now. Master chef is a real bargain at 50k.

Woodies- Played them twice, the movement nerf cost Zfurelli a score against me. I think woodies are quite dependent on the ruleset, cheap +ST or +AG favours them, which on WDs is lethal.

Undead- I like the changes, it means there is now at least some hope of undead finishing the game with <11 players.

Skaven- 10k off the Rat Ogre allows the shoehorning in of an extra lino if you go without a thrower which makes a difference.

I didn't see any Khemri, which may tell a story.

I totally forgot about the apo KO-> stun until Pippy used it vs me, but it's a nice option. Do you have to use it instantly in the same way as a cas? Wording is not 100% clear.
Saw a couple of people taking diving catch, LRB6 makes it more of an option, but not a no-brainer, seems fine.

Maybe we could stick all this in the feedback section? Otherwise it'll just be read by the people at the tourney...

Ironjaw

Post by Ironjaw »

Diving catch also brings Hail mary in as a viable skill now.

1 skink on the back line passing to 2 skink up top with diving catch.

2+ / 3+

TD
MumboJerry wrote:thanks for taking your...like a man
He usually takes things like a bitch - ask Wighlord

Mr 1-in-20
mubo
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mubo »

Ironjaw wrote:Diving catch also brings Hail mary in as a viable skill now.
Does it? HMP is always inaccurate... in LRB5 it was 2+, 3+, score. Plus there are much better double skills for skinks than HMP.
I can only see humans, elves and maybe skaven getting any value from the new diving catch.

Don__Vito
Legend
Legend

Post by Don__Vito »

mumbojumboist wrote:
Ironjaw wrote:Diving catch also brings Hail mary in as a viable skill now.
Does it? HMP is always inaccurate... in LRB5 it was 2+, 3+, score. Plus there are much better double skills for skinks than HMP.
I can only see humans, elves and maybe skaven getting any value from the new diving catch.
...and Slann, JimJimmany(?) used it to great effect against me at the PooBowl, even purposefully passing to adjacent squares some of the time.

Ironjaw

Post by Ironjaw »

Sorry, I should explain about the skink.

I took Hail Mary Pass as a double skill on a skink at my 3rd tournament...

...and one bell-end in particular has never let me forget it.

Obviously you're relying on the ball scattering a square away from the reciever, but the +1 to accurate catches makes it viable to all teams with a passing game in my opinion.

A woodelf catcher with diving catch is an awesome prospect.

Mr 1-in-20
stick_with_poo_on_the_end
has a big box

Post by stick_with_poo_on_the_end »

Ironjaw wrote:
...and one bell-end in particular has never let me forget it.

Dont talk about harriet like that! :pissed:

Word to Your Mother.