WEST COAST QUAKE: Jan. 17 & 18, 2009 -- Los Angeles, CA,

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Lahatiel
Super Star
Super Star

WEST COAST QUAKE: Jan. 17 & 18, 2009 -- Los Angeles, CA,

Post by Lahatiel »

The Big One is coming... the inaugural West Coast will be held in the Los Angeles area this coming January 17th & 18th, Saturday and Sunday, at the GW Los Angeles Battle Bunker (located in Westminster, CA).

You can find the tournament site at www.wcquake.com. We're still finalizing some of the details, but the basics as of now:

$35 registration fee gets you:

-- 6 games over two days in a NAF-sanctioned tournament.
-- 100TV resurrection-style tourney using skill packs for coaches to assign before the start of the tournament.
-- The official LRB 5.0 rules will be in effect along with the three newest rosters, plus custom WCQ weather and kick-off tables.
-- Custom West Coast Quake gameboard pitch (hopefully a dugout, too!)
-- Set of non-block support dice (ie, 2d6 - d8 - d16)
-- WCQ tournament patch
-- We're still trying to get a limited-edition tournament miniature created, as well.

I'm afraid the $35 cost was necessary because a full batch of custom pitches isn't cheap. But we're doing everything we can to ensure you get your money's worth as we try to launch what we hope will become the first regular NAF tournament in Southern California and help broaden the West Coast tournament options.

We'll be updating both the website and this thread in the near future as details start to finalize. Pictures of the pitch and patch should be available in the next week or two, and we hope to have final word on the figure within that time, too.

Please let us know if you have any specific questions and we'll try to provide as much information as possible! Either post here, PM myself or my organizing partner daloonieshaman, or email us at wcquake@gmail.com. Hope to see you there!

Reason: ''
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

I'll be there. Frankly, with the custom pitch you could have charged more. I'm thinking Pro Elves....

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

Matt be sure to form a team of at least 4 coaches to bring back the team trophy to you FLGS ....

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

¿Hmm? No comprendo. No tengo 3 other coaches who'd do it, either. It's 100 miles from San Diego to LA.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

Team up with the other Blood Bowl Players in San Deigo (Try Game Empire for more players) I know there is at least a dozen or 2 players in your emidiate area

mattgslater
King of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Damn. I was afraid you'd bring up Game Empire. Rrrr... fine.

daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

Just talked to the guys at the bunker
they are sweetening the deal

Winner gets in addition to a super cool trophy ...

Entry ticket into The Chaos Cup
a painted team of their choice (painted by the GW guys after the event)

mattgslater
King of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

So what's this "teaming up with other coaches" bit? Are we required to enter in groups of 4? That would take me right out.

Lahatiel
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lahatiel »

No, the "team" aspect is certainly not a requirement in any way, shape or form. It's just another idea that we're lifting from the Zlurpeebowl, where they've got a highly active, year-round tournament circuit in the Midwest in which groups from a league often travel in packs to the neighboring states to play in tournaments -- so at the ZB, they've added the "team title" as just one more layer on top of everything else. But that's all it is: something extra. Daloonieshaman was just bringing it up as encouragement for larger groups of leaguemates to all come together, that's all. But it's definitely just a bonus competition rather than the main thing; we look forward to seeing you up here in January, Matt, regardless of whether or not you're making the trek on your own.

Lahatiel
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lahatiel »

I've put together a couple of Google Maps to help those will be travelling for the WCQ.

The first map shows the food and lodging options in the immediate vicinity of the LA Battle Bunker where the WCQ is being held:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&m ... 9dd91d7e29

There's a Travelodge a block and a half from the Bunker, a Motel 6 a half-mile away, and a Best Western about a mile away. There are all sorts of food options (mostly fast food) within a couple-block radius. Please note that, as I'm from the other side of LA, these are just what I found on Google; there might be others that I missed, as well.

This map shows the location of the Bunker in relation to the main LA arrival points:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&m ... 23f62bf20f

LAX is 30+ miles away, though it's a fairly direct freeway route from there. If you're flying in and are able to use one of the smaller airports, Long Beach Airport (LGB) is just under 10 miles and John Wayne (SNA) is just over 10 miles -- both are also direct freeway routes to the Bunker Burbank Airport (BUR) at 43 miles and Ontario International (ONT) at 44 miles are getting way out there.

Another possibility is Union Station in downtown Los Angeles, whether you take a train directly there, or come in to LAX and take a direct shuttle bus for just $4 each way to Union Station. I bring this up because I live next door (literally, across a driveway) to Union Station and there are a couple of lodging options right there. While I already have a buddy who'll be in from out of town and staying with me that weekend (plus the wife and our roommate), so my place is full up, I'd be able to fit two more (or three, if you can all squeeze in the back of a PT Cruiser) in my car for rides to/from the Bunker from there. It's an option for those coming in via LAX to avoid a rental car but still know their transport is covered.

I hope this helps. If you let myself or Daloonieshaman know your travel plans, we'll try (though we can make no guarantees) to help with rides to/from airports and/or the Bunker. If there are any more specific questions, we'll be happy to try and help!

Lahatiel
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lahatiel »

Some scheduling info, as well...

With it being necessary to fit our schedule with the store hours of the Bunker -- meaning later start/end times than we might otherwise like :-? -- the preliminary schedule looks like this:

Saturday
12pm - 12:30 -- Registration
12:30 - 2:45 -- Game 1
3:00 - 5:15 -- Game 2
5:15 - 6:15 -- Dinner
6:15 - 8:30 -- Game 3
8:45 - 11pm -- Game 4

Sunday
12pm - 12:15 -- Check-in
12:15 - 2:30 -- Game 1
2:45 - 5:00 -- Game 2
5:00 - 6pm -- Awards and closing ceremonies

It starts a little late and runs a little tight, but my hope is that it should be easier to have everyone ready and waiting to go right at noon than if we started at, say, 9am. We're allowing 2hrs 15mins for every game, plus 15 minute breaks in between, and I figure that the noon start should also allow everyone time to eat up before we get going. Given the restraints of the store hours, I think it's workable. Let me know if anyone has any questions or concerns!

daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

Schedule

I talked with the bunker
We will be moving everything up 1 hour

Saturday
10:30am - 11:30am -- Registration/ Setup
11:30 - 1:45 -- Game 1
2:00 - 4:15 -- Game 2
4:15 - 5:15 -- Dinner
5:15 - 7:30 -- Game 3
7:45 - 10:00pm -- Game 4

Sunday
12pm - 12:15 -- Check-in
12:15 - 2:30 -- Game 1
2:45 - 5:00 -- Game 2
5:00 - 6pm -- Awards and closing ceremonies
Dennis

daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

sketch of our figure greens to come soon

mattgslater
King of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Any update on the rules?

daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

1 mil TV
No Star Players (yes you may take the other inducements)
all 24 teams
lrb 5.0 with new teams
Clarifications will be used but NOT experiential rules
your team resets after each game (PLEASE bring 8 copies of your roster)

You are STRONGLY encouraged to play with GW models
You may have conversion on your model as long as it is clear as to the position
PLEASE number your figures

Skill packets:
you may not repeat skills on players of the same position
(you may not have 2 linemen with block, but you may have a lineman and a blitzer with block) each player may only have one added skill unless you select <e> or <f>

a> 6 basic skills
b> 5 basic skills, 1 MV or AV increase
c> 4 Basic Skills, 1 doubles Skill
d> 2 Basic skills, 2 doubles Skills
e> 2 Basic skills, 1 player with 1 basic & 1 doubles skill
f> 2 players with 1 basic + 1 doubles

You will bring your Blocking dice
your favorite d6's will have to sit at home for this one as we are providing everyone with some (d16 & d8 also)

No illegal procedure
NO OT except for final game