New tournament - PandaBowl (England)

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Panda
Rookie
Rookie

New tournament - PandaBowl (England)

Post by Panda »

Hey guys,

After attending my first NAF tournament weekend just been and getting spanked I would like to know your thoughts on me organising my own tournament.

Now before you dismiss me by going, "NOOB OMG NOOOOOB" etc. I am rather experienced in running tournaments, as well as experienced at bloodbowl just not in NAF. I play all the systems and have succesfully run tournaments in Fantasy, 40k, Lord of the Rings and Bloodbowl.

The tournament would be held in July sometime (any objections please just say) and would be in one of the following places;

Games Workshop Wakfield - The event would be cheap, and food and drink is allowed but no alcohol

A Town hall or somewhere in Leeds - The event would be slightly more expensive, but alcohol would be allowed and a night out could be organised afterward

A Town hall or somewhere in York - Same again...

So what are people's thoughts on venue? Which makes for a better Bbowl tournament?

My tournament would be run roughly as follows;

1.05 Mil GP (Bit different...)
2 Skills after game 1, 2 skills after game 3, 2 skills after game 5.
There would be 5 'special' games for betwixt 2, 5 or all the people.

Game 1 - Normal
Game 2 - Normal
Game 3 - 4 Way. A random 4 consecutive people, low down, would play in a special 4 way game.
Game 4 - Team Swap. You swap teams with your allocated opponent for the game.
Game 5 - Normal.
Game 6 - DungeonBowl and Grandstand. The bottom 5 teams would play in dungeonbowl. The top 2 teams would play on a special 'Grandstand' Board. (Note the grandstand board is pretty but not special...)

I would hopefully get enough players for about 36 and prizes would be awarded for the following;

- Stunty Cup
- Most TD's
- Most Cas
- 1st, 2nd and 3rd
- Wooden Spoon
- Most sporting
- Best painted
- Best converted.

Any support you guys could offer would be great as it would be my first NAF tournament and my first large(ish) bloodbowl tournament.

Many thanks,
Craig

Reason: ''
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Re: New tournament - PandaBowl (England)

Post by Joemanji »

I live in York and work in Leeds, so I am up for it in either of those towns. There are 100+ yorkshire Bloodbowlers in a league too apparently, so there would be plenty of other interest I guess. Not in a GW please, they wouldn't allow non GW figs for one.
Panda wrote:Game 3 - 4 Way. A random 4 consecutive people would play in a special 4 way game.
Game 4 - Team Swap. You swap teams with your allocated opponent for the game.
However, these would be a huge no-no for me. Messes up your NAF ranking, and takes you out of the running to win the event. (yes I take it too seriously, I know). :wink:

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Panda
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Panda »

As for the whole yorkshire league thing...I'm one of the commisioner's....:P

I didn't know you lived so close...well done for Monkeybowl...shame I didn't get to speak to you.

The random 4 people would be fairly near the bottom and why not the team swap?

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Good on you for wanting to run your own. However given your lack of experience I'd recommend avoiding anything too unusual until you've a bit more experience with BB tournaments. Maybe restrict yourself to one special round rather than 4 - and don't make it the Sunday morning game either! Otherwise keep the rules pretty simple and avoid unnecessary complication. When you've a bit more experience both running & attending then try to add more things to it.

One thing you could try, which seems to work well enough over here, is a progression tournament. i.e. normal league rules except you choose who gets your MVP. I don't think I've seen any anywhere else. They are a little different to resurrection and its nice to have the diversity IMO.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Panda
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Panda »

The things is I've run many tournaments, a few bbowl ones, but no NAF ones...

mattwhile
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by mattwhile »

Team swapping is a bad idea. At a tourney people play the team they want to play, not some random team for one game in the middle of one.

To attract more tournament regulars you should try to get the tourney Naf-sanctioned, and I think they have some guidelines as to what they will and won't allow.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Pretty certain game 4 will not be allowed in a NAF-sanctioned tourney.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Lycos
Da Ex-Boss

Re: New tournament - PandaBowl (England)

Post by Lycos »

Panda wrote:Hey guys,

After attending my first NAF tournament weekend just been and getting spanked I would like to know your thoughts on me organising my own tournament.

Craig
Talk to me. I sat next to you twice at Monkeybowl this weekend, I have just PMd you my number.

TFF mod team
duttydave
Star Player
Star Player

Post by duttydave »

If you are intent on July, I would suggest that you try not to clash with Thrudball (formerly Thrudbowl) which is the 25th and 26th.

Thrudball 2009

Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Post by Podfrey »

and also at the other end of the country is Toy Soldier (same weekend)

rodders
Legend
Legend

Post by rodders »

i would try to avoid july with toy soldier thrud bowl and the carrot crunch its pretty packed

Propping up the Chelmsford Bunker since 2010

NAF RTO southern UK
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Panda wrote:I didn't know you lived so close...well done for Monkeybowl...shame I didn't get to speak to you.
This may sound silly ... but were you the guy with the panda mask? :wink: :lol: I wanted to join one of your leagues, but I work random nights so I can't be commited.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Panda
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Panda »

Yes I was the one with the panda mask...and you don't have to be commited you get till october to play 8-12 games...

So what month is good...august any better?

Pug
Legend
Legend

Post by Pug »

Just read the Brit-French forum rantings....Jeeeeeesus!

Interested as it's not too far away. Will decide later. May even design a logo!!

"In Dodge We Trust"
Panda
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Panda »

Haha I was in a bad mood OK? :P