Flame Bowl II for Cancer Research 5th-6th December 2009

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Zoglug
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Flame Bowl II for Cancer Research 5th-6th December 2009

Post by Zoglug »

Got to agree, fantastic tournament thoroughly enjoyed myself and had 6 cracking games!

Finished with a 2/2/2 middle of the road record. The two i lost though (Don Vito and Lycos) i really had no chance in due to their hot dice! Against Don Vito, things were that bad (God damn throw a male chicken on the kick off table!!! grrr :evil: ) he brought me a consolation beer so i had something to enjoy! I finished both games with 2 players left on the pitch!

Highlight of the weekend for me was my heroic Wrestling Gutter Runner who continually dodged into Lycos's Dwarven cage half dicing the ball carrier! His face was a picture as i continually attempted to do it whilst he stamped on the rest of my team :P

Will definately be back next year with the rest of Flameon B!!!

Reason: ''
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Thanks to Mark for organising a fantastic event, the team thing is a whole heap of fun and it was nice not to have to smack talk Jimany for once. :) I finished 3-3-0 which is respectable since I had to to play a member of Howay The Lads! or White Isle in all of the last 5 rounds. Talk about a tough draw. Some memorable moments included Jimany winning and drawing Ogres in round 2, whilst my draw earned me a game against Don Vito's Amazons. That was a fun game, with his chainsaw killing my Guard Wight and Guard Mummy on turns 1 & 2. :o But some bullshit got me through that game in the end and one failed dodge for Dave gave me the initiative in the second half for 1-0. Last couple of games against White Isle were strange, with my Undead getting beaten up by Skaven and then Slann. But the most bizarre game must have been the one against Rycos, between us failing about 10 3+ pickups in the first half, any of which would probably have secured a TD, only for us to make four out of four 4+ pickups or catches from the kickoff in the second half.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

Aye, we did have it rough being up against you chaps two rounds running (but not as rough as you did playing the Geordies then us twice - or five members in all, harsh draw! My head hurt after four...), but it was also awesome, I really enjoyed playing Jim and Nick back to back. Well, that and hearing Pete celebrate a successful Stab kill on poor Nick's ST4 Dancer! That was probably my weekend highlight, mainly because he looked a bit embarrassed when he realised he'd been a bit loud. :D

My only regret is not playing the Geordies on day two, we'll get you next time, Gadget! Well, that and my traditional bonus point failage; I think even if I'd converted my draw to a sixth win, Matt still would have kept me in second. Need to learn how those things work. ;)

Also, I forgot a massive thanks to Powergamer Grom for the lift home; my girlfriend was mortified I forgot to invite you in for a cuppa / some tea (was so tired I wandered in on autopilot), I was rightly chastised. Bigtime oweage! ;)

Sizzler
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Sizzler »

Hehe, no probs, Phil. I was also very tired. :wink:

But the weekend was great.

Highlights:

- Managing to somehow get to table 2. My dice were on fire though for most of the weekend and Jimany still smacked me right down again
- The game against Don Vito's amazons. Several times we tried to block with each others players and get assists from them aswell. It was a right laugh
- The now traditional face-off against Leipziger
- Pretty much everything else that happened

Lowlights:

- The childish, unneccesary bullying and name-calling that I wouldn't have expected from a seven year old girl. 'Powergamer' they cried. The nerve!

Just a few quick thoughts on amazons:

I found that the team would do a lot of the work for me. Admittedly, they aren't as fast as I thought they'd be, but they can play a grinding game pretty well. This team will not go to the top tables without a bit of input from the player, you still have to use your wits, but they help you along a LOT more than any other team I've played. You can put them on auto-pilot but you need to keep an eye on the horizon.

The first two games I played, both against orcs, I feel like the team did the work for me. Although against a good player you can't rely on them to take you through on their own. I played Beanbag in game 2, and only won because he rolled some skulls and ones at particularly crucial moments. And then I played against Jimany in game 3, and was beaten 1-0. Against a player of his calibre it's really not enough to simply ask the team to do it for you, which is why I lost. I managed a couple of daft mistakes, like forgetting to move a linewoman in to negate an assist to get a 2-dice tackle blitz on his ball carrying gutter. I guess that's why I'll only ever see top tables if I get lucky dice.

Best regards.

fire olli
Super Star
Super Star

Post by fire olli »

Cheers Nippy for the weekend, will be there next year.

I had a great weekend overall. My first day went well with wins over pigstar and sillysod. My second day was very crap game wise, 3 losses. I think it was a combination of bad tactics and poor luck. I finished 2-1-3 with skaven :roll:

Thanks to everyone who voted for my team as best painted :D I am already starting to think about a team for next year, it will take that long to paint now there is a little fireolli to look after. Chaos pact or elves. ????

I have to say sorry to my team mates for loosing 3 games on sunday, we must hve dropped some places. :(

Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

Nippy Longskar wrote:Phew!

All done, had an absolute blast! A quick run down, full results, amount raised etc tomorrow!

1st Team: Howay the Lads
2nd Team: White Isle
Wow what an effort! Congratulations to my fellow GBBLers.

Thank goodness Rycos is 1/8 Chinese, 1/8 Geordie and only 6/8 Southern!!

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
Zoglug
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Zoglug »

I think the Geordies had an easier ride for the last two games. Whilst WIL and Paincake played each other during round 5 and 6, Howay the Lads played Flameon B (Last at the world cup, last at Flambowl 08) and Flame on C who had some members who had played very little Bloodbowl between them!

That or maybe im still bitter at my 2 defeats throughout the weekend came from their team! :wink:

Wightlord
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Wightlord »

Pgoo wrote: My only regret is not playing the Geordies on day two, we'll get you next time, Gadget! Well, that and my traditional bonus point failage; I think even if I'd converted my draw to a sixth win, Matt still would have kept me in second.
If you didn't have the foresight to draw Goblins in round one thats your problem.. :wink: :lol:

Things you never expect to hear in a sane world......"I went home a broken man. Contemplating my place in a universe where Shaniepoo was king" - No Number
And..."Shaniepoo is our glorious champion!" - Leipziger
WilburS
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by WilburS »

Did you win all 6 games Matt?

rodders
Legend
Legend

Post by rodders »

Pippy wrote:
Nippy Longskar wrote:Phew!

All done, had an absolute blast! A quick run down, full results, amount raised etc tomorrow!

1st Team: Howay the Lads
2nd Team: White Isle
Wow what an effort! Congratulations to my fellow GBBLers.

Thank goodness Rycos is 1/8 Chinese, 1/8 Geordie and only 6/8 Southern!!
Isn't Rycos from Derbyshire via Xiamen?

Propping up the Chelmsford Bunker since 2010

NAF RTO southern UK
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

rodders wrote:
Isn't Rycos from Derbyshire via Xiamen?
He's certainly a Rams fan. Can't think why you'd follow County if you weren't from the Derby area.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
PeteW
Super Star
Super Star

Post by PeteW »

Thanks Nippy! Was a great tourney and I enjoyed it immensely.

I got to play lots of people who I hadn't played before which was also very nice.

A suggestion for next year: For the individual coaching prize, coaches get bonus points according to where their team finished, eg, +15 for 1st, +12 for 2nd, +9 for 3rd, etc. This means that if a good coach on a good team wins it means more than a good coach who has found 3 chumps to ensure him easy games... ;P

NAFC 2014. Glowworm: "PeteW is definitely hotter than Lunchmoney."
Wightlord
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Wightlord »

To be honest I'd have rather got the Rim Raiders up a couple of places than win it individually (mainly because I remember the bitching by the "power" players aimed at Joemanji for winning last year). We got seven wins and a draw or two on day two which was very respectable and I don't think the guys were "chumps" (ok - maybe Shaniepoo :wink: ).

Things you never expect to hear in a sane world......"I went home a broken man. Contemplating my place in a universe where Shaniepoo was king" - No Number
And..."Shaniepoo is our glorious champion!" - Leipziger
mubo
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mubo »

Thanks Mark, a great weekend.

I played some top coaches, most of whom I hadn't played before which ws nice.

I think you have the rulespack pretty much down pat as well. I checked the rosters on the Saturday and I think I was the only one to take +ST.

Glicko guy.
Team England committee member
Don__Vito
Legend
Legend

Post by Don__Vito »

We came. We saw. We... dodged the top tables by perfectly masterminding our total points scores all through day two! ;)

Really enjoyed my debut Flame Bowl and certainly will be back for more next year. Playing for a team was something new to me and I really enjoyed the banter and atmosphere of lining up with the lads. Thanks to my team mates, and to all my opponents for six excellent games. The dice Gods smiled over me in the main, and I think most of my highlights have been mentioned already! (The duplicate amazon game, the "5,4,3 manjina incident", the Skaven massacre courtesy of the rockslide, etc...) :lol:

Big thanks to Nipples though, looks like it took a lot of organisation to keep track of both individual and team scores, and there wasn't a single complaint about draws or games to be played, excellent organisation! And I assume he was responsible for the snazzy boards we took home, VERY nice job!

(On a side not, has anyone got a Flame Bowl dug out they'd part with, I quite fancy a matching pair. PM me...)