Cakebowl 5 6/7 June 2015

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

nonumber
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Cakebowl 5 6/7 June 2015

Post by nonumber »

Thanks Hudson for running the tournament, was a lot of fun and sorry about the disgraceful game of blood bowl we had... if it's any consolation it went worse for Itchen than it did for you...

And the cup cakes were outstanding.

Reason: ''
"Sometimes you're a big dog wearing a small hat, sometimes you're a small dog wearing a big one. That's life, baby."
Itchen Masack
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Itchen Masack »

Great tourney, thanks for sorting it for us all to enjoy :D Sunday was a weird one. 2-0 down to wood elves at half time in match 4 to then suddenly pitch clear them and win 3-2. Then match 5 v more Wood Elves and a complete spanking 5-0, my biggest ever loss. Pure dice fail isnt a valid tactic against an ag5 wardancer lol

Match 6 against Enderman was a fun way to end the weekend. Fouling off a child's amazon team does wonders for the soul after a crushing defeat in the previous round :-P and killing Roxanna in turn 1 with a goblin boot was a highlight! If only Besters' version hadnt proved to be immortal.

Rubick
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rubick »

Sounds like a missed a cracker! Grats Dio on the win and for representing the spammage! Maybe next year we can have a spam-off...unless they change the rules set hehe

Hobnail
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hobnail »

Hawk wrote:Great tourney as always and 2nd with Skaven? 8) 8) 8)

Still in shock about besting Besters :o

6 great games and enjoyed them all :orc:

Really??? Lol

Winner - Caerdydd Cup (2019)
Most TD - Exiles (20)(2015), Exebowl (10)(2017)
Stunty Cup - Welsh Open (2016,2019), Exiles (2016), CakeBowl (2019), GertBowl (2019)

SWTC Stunty Champion 2016, 2019
Most Casualties - Elflympics (27(net 25))(2017)
Hobnail
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hobnail »

...and dont worry Itchen, i killed that AG5 dancer by boot in turn 1 of the next game.

Really enjoyed my first cakebowl guys. Will be sure to come back next year.

Stunty Cup - Welsh Open (2016,2019), Exiles (2016), CakeBowl (2019), GertBowl (2019)

Itchen Masack

Post by Itchen Masack »

Meh! I softned her up for you :-P Tenderized by goblin boots, but she refused to give in to the Reaper.

Angry Hobbit
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Angry Hobbit »

A very enjoyable weekend (and cakes), thanks to Hudson and all my opponents. Venue is good as well. This one is definitely on my 'must go to' list.

Now if I can just find a team to play that does not prefer fighting for the wooden spoon :cry:

Unsafely throwing team mates since 2011

lower mid table mediocrity achieved (2019)
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Am I the only one who's got some negative feedback, oh well I could already be the most hated coach in the Old World so here goes...

1)The car parking situation was frustrating, i'm not a fan of being told something is going to be free and then when I get there being told it's now 5 pound

2)Vegetarian meal on Saturday was just the same as the meat eaters meal just with the meat removed. I now they added an extra slice of cheese but I was kind of expecting a protein substitute, God help any vegans, not sure what they had?

3)I rang the venue during the week when I was planing the trip down there and asked if they do breakfast on the Saturday morning, they told me not until 10am so after stopping on the way it was a bit annoying to find that breakfast was available for a fiver which would have been ideal as I could have left a little later and not had to stop elsewhere.

I personally feel these three things could have been improved on with a simple phone call to the venue prior to the tournament and then have a little passage of information to the players via the forum a few days before perhaps.

4)There wasn't enough room between the tables so a lot of the time people had to sit side ways or stand up or perched at an angle on the edge of a chair.

5)I noticed Cantaloupe was sat next to the door which seemed to have a constant draft blowing in directly in from the open outside door and a fight almost broke out during one of the games as other coaches were feeling hot towards the back of the room and an argument ensued about wether the door should be shut or closed(not sure if this is critique or just funny, I guess you had to be there)

Anyway I know you guys ain't getting paid or doing this professionally so please don't take it personally, just a few observations which I think could be done better. Apart from that I had the same two days of heart in mouth dice rolling fun and highs and lows that go with that so thanks. I will be back next year (if you let me after the above)

So it's just left for me to say that whoever made the cakes, the cupcakes and the brownies done a fantastic job. They were great and that's got to be the best idea for prizes at a tournament that I've been to yet as everyone was a winner and all who wanted some got a slice :D

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Hobnail
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hobnail »

Frogboy makes a couple of decent points that are hopefully constructive criticism....on the other hand, I found the food provided for us meat eaters to be way better than expected.

On the whole, i was impressed with the venue. Although you might struggle if you numbers grow next year: unless there are more side rooms.

Hudson
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Hudson »

frogboy wrote:Am I the only one who's got some negative feedback, oh well I could already be the most hated coach in the Old World so here goes...

1)The car parking situation was frustrating, i'm not a fan of being told something is going to be free and then when I get there being told it's now 5 pound

2)Vegetarian meal on Saturday was just the same as the meat eaters meal just with the meat removed. I now they added an extra slice of cheese but I was kind of expecting a protein substitute, God help any vegans, not sure what they had?

3)I rang the venue during the week when I was planing the trip down there and asked if they do breakfast on the Saturday morning, they told me not until 10am so after stopping on the way it was a bit annoying to find that breakfast was available for a fiver which would have been ideal as I could have left a little later and not had to stop elsewhere.

I personally feel these three things could have been improved on with a simple phone call to the venue prior to the tournament and then have a little passage of information to the players via the forum a few days before perhaps.

4)There wasn't enough room between the tables so a lot of the time people had to sit side ways or stand up or perched at an angle on the edge of a chair.

5)I noticed Cantaloupe was sat next to the door which seemed to have a constant draft blowing in directly in from the open outside door and a fight almost broke out during one of the games as other coaches were feeling hot towards the back of the room and an argument ensued about wether the door should be shut or closed(not sure if this is critique or just funny, I guess you had to be there)

Anyway I know you guys ain't getting paid or doing this professionally so please don't take it personally, just a few observations which I think could be done better. Apart from that I had the same two days of heart in mouth dice rolling fun and highs and lows that go with that so thanks. I will be back next year (if you let me after the above)

So it's just left for me to say that whoever made the cakes, the cupcakes and the brownies done a fantastic job. They were great and that's got to be the best idea for prizes at a tournament that I've been to yet as everyone was a winner and all who wanted some got a slice :D

More than happy to get negative feedback, if I don't know where there are issues they wont get looked at.
So in order

1)Car Parking. When the venue was booked I was told it was free car parking, this changed due to £10,000 re surface and other work carried out. I'll hold my hands up to that one as I should of double checked nearer the time but family issues took over in the run up.

2)The meal this year was the same as last year and nothing was raised so we stuck with the same. We will look at other options for next year.

3)I had thought I'd posted about breakfast a week or so before the event, so again i'll hold my hands up for a failure to double check again. Noted and once confirmed it will be added to the 1st post for next year

4)This was the 1st time we had used the room downstairs as the bar was re designed earlier this year. I will look at table lay out and how best to set them up. That said there was always plenty of space in the other room.

5)We had the same issue last year in the now gone room with some being to hot and some being to cold. I think that by addressing the table layout we can deal with the over heating and draft issue.

As for numbers this was the most we've had turn up so far. We'll keep and eye on how it goes next year. One big problem is I'm reluctant to find a bigger venue that costs more given how slow take up is.

Other things we are looking at
- changing the timings
- Combining any parking fee and all food costs into the entry fee
- We will look at improving the Vegi option
- Table layout and spacings

The evening seemed to go well with a number of people staying on till 11ish playing different games. MR SFisher is a very sick man :lol: :lol:

Most Casualties @ Poo Bowl 09 with 24
Most Casualties @ PK&Q 09 with 21
Most Casualties @ GT 09 with 28
Most Casualties @ Poo Bowl 11 with 28
Most Casualties @ ARRBL 13 with 30
Hobnail
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hobnail »

He's not sick...he just paid me to pick his choices :D

Dont change the food. It was all awesome. Just give frogboy a protein shake ;)

Your idea at rolling the BBQ into the price is a good one in my book.

Hobnail
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hobnail »

You can easily cap the numbers at thirty say next year. That will stop u overcrowding the venue and will create demand once people realise u sell out every year :) Once demand becomes sufficient regularly, u can look for a bigger room.

Oh....and more cake...

Itchen Masack

Post by Itchen Masack »

Well I'm vegetarian too, and reached my monthly cheese limit in that 1 ploughmans :-P
But the food was nice, the staff very friendly and helpful, my only small gripe (other than the two elf-related spankings!) was the table/chairs being too close in the downstairs room.

But really, we had a great 2 days of fun, and any complaints are just nit-picking. My thanks to Hudson for it all.

besters

Post by besters »

"we had a great 2 days of fun, and any complaints are just nit-picking. My thanks to Hudson for it all."

I tend to agree with this - shame about the bloodbowl though

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Cantaloup's temperature is always a problem. At the first Pick'n'Mix he was freezing and asked to turn the heating up - everyone else was sweltering! I know it's not always easy for wheelchair access etc, but he needs to be kept away from doors where possible.

No disrespect Dave, I know it's a problem for you.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.