Cakebowl 5 6/7 June 2015

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Hudson
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Cakebowl 5 6/7 June 2015

Post by Hudson »

Darkson wrote:Cantaloup's temperature is always a problem. At the first Pick'n'Mix he was freezing and asked to turn the heating up - everyone else was sweltering! I know it's not always easy for wheelchair access etc, but he needs to be kept away from doors where possible.

No disrespect Dave, I know it's a problem for you.

We need to change the table lay out to get Dave down the far end, Wasn't an issue last year as he was in the other room.

If we go back to the same venue next year it will be the 1st time weve held the event in the same place for more than 2 years.
Always that problem, find a venue. Adjust year 2 after year 1, then find new venue and start again

Reason: ''
Most Casualties @ Poo Bowl 09 with 24
Most Casualties @ PK&Q 09 with 21
Most Casualties @ GT 09 with 28
Most Casualties @ Poo Bowl 11 with 28
Most Casualties @ ARRBL 13 with 30
Hobnail
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hobnail »

In all fairness, DaPiranha and I tried to play game 1 in the beer garden....now that WAS baltic! We only managed a half lol

Winner - Caerdydd Cup (2019)
Most TD - Exiles (20)(2015), Exebowl (10)(2017)
Stunty Cup - Welsh Open (2016,2019), Exiles (2016), CakeBowl (2019), GertBowl (2019)

SWTC Stunty Champion 2016, 2019
Most Casualties - Elflympics (27(net 25))(2017)
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

I managed about 2 minutes pre-game!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Bögenhafen Bron
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Bögenhafen Bron »

Well guys, thanks for patiently explaining a couple of rules and giving a LOS 101. I'll steadfastly continue to blame my shortcomings on being pampered by Cyanide, and not on, dunno, any lack of positional awareness or strategic foresight. And yes, of course I *let* the kid win. It had nothing whatsoever to do with my ineptitude (cough).

Spoons are blooming useful things too. I'd rather be spooned than forked, for instance.

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Spooning dose sound better than being forked :D

It was a good weekend and thanks for addressing my points. The cake was banging and the Sunday Roast was good too.

I heard good things about the BBQ too but I was on orders to go home so couldn't stay :(

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

The BBQ was super-nice. Though DaPiranha lost his burger, and Itchen likes naked corn.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
nonumber
Super Star
Super Star

Post by nonumber »

It's tough running a tournament so props to Hudson for putting on the event first of all.

The surprise car park charge would have been an annoyance too if I'd have driven, but changes between the time of booking and the event by the hotel itself should have been communicated by the venue to the organizer as well. So they have also fallen short on that front.

However I agree the food price should have been specified ahead of time. It looked like a good barbecue but I wasn't in the mood for eating that much... essentially it was a surprise addition of £12 to the ticket price if you wanted to take part. This is always going to put people off.

But these are all lessons for next year. It's a short trip for me so I'd be happy to come back.

"Sometimes you're a big dog wearing a small hat, sometimes you're a small dog wearing a big one. That's life, baby."
besters
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by besters »

The cost of the evening meal being extra was advertised up-front and idn't vary from last year.

The car park charge was irritating, but the hotel was relatively cheap anyway, at least compared to what I usually get charged.

But a good tournament, thanks again to Hudson for organising it, hope to be back next year.

Heartsbane
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Heartsbane »

To add an extra voice to the chorus of feedback: Thanks for running the event, I had a great time!

The venue was good, though a little of the atmosphere was lost by splitting the games over 2 rooms (though impressionable minds were also kept away from the worst influences, so that had some benefit too).

Having print outs of the fixture list for each round was very handy.

Food was good, and including a hot meal and a decent cold meal in a £25 tourney represents great value to my mind.

Coffee was slow appearing in the morning, perhaps the venue could be chivied into getting it out sooner? Meant I had to buy breakfast to get my caffeine fix (tough I know, but I'll survive).

I would have liked a best painted award, but that's because I paint better than I play ;)

Chilled out atmosphere and slick organisation a big plus.

Cakes were delicious and plentiful.

See you next year! :)

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

On the SWTC front, and to take one hassle off Hudson over the next few days, I'm not going to get a chance to update the table until after Speedbowl now, so there won't be any movement on this front for a few days.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
TheShepherd
Super Star
Super Star

Post by TheShepherd »

sann0638 wrote:The BBQ was super-nice. Though DaPiranha lost his burger, and Itchen likes naked corn.
Why would you bring up such a painful memory?

Would have been the worst thing that happened to me all week if I hadn't have had the three games of Bloodbowl beforehand which definitely took the crown

Thanks to all of my opponents and Hudson for a great weekend

Cards against humanity has blackened my soul

Shepherd for the Wales team
Hobnail
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hobnail »

Cough cough..1TTD..cough :D

I'm still crying at Cards Against Humanity. Thanks Val. Highlight of my weekend.

Winner - Caerdydd Cup (2019)
Most TD - Exiles (20)(2015), Exebowl (10)(2017)
Stunty Cup - Welsh Open (2016,2019), Exiles (2016), CakeBowl (2019), GertBowl (2019)

SWTC Stunty Champion 2016, 2019
Most Casualties - Elflympics (27(net 25))(2017)
Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

Hi Hudson, hi all...

This may have already been asked e.g. re SWTC, but just wondering if I can get a list of the top 10 placings for the Golden Gauntlet series. Sounds like it was an excellent event!

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
20phoenix
Super Star
Super Star

Post by 20phoenix »

If you think CoH blackened your soul then get yourself a whiteboard and play pictionary with the white cards. Its impossible not to come out of it feeling like a bigot.

Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

The results up yet?

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.