Bunker Bowl V - 12th + 13th March 2016 - Colchester, Essex

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Wulfyn
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Bunker Bowl V - 12th + 13th March 2016 - Colchester, Ess

Post by Wulfyn »

Joemanji wrote: People just honestly saying they prefer rules that reward these kinds of games to playing 'optimally' or whatever you want to call it.
I think you have to define what optimally means. If it is just to win the game then absolutely the extra TD's and giving your opponent a chance by not stalling is optimal. But there are other goals that you can look towards. For example in Rugby Union they try and reward teams based on providing entertainment to spectators (important as a commercial product) and reward teams for not giving up when the result is already decided.

A system adapted such as:
Win = 4pts
Draw = 2pts
Loss = 0pts

Scoring 3 TDs = 1 bonus point
Losing by 1 TD = 1 bonus point

Could be a good mix. At 2 nil down you would still try for a bonus point. At 2 nil up you would still try for a bonus point.

I'm still unconvinced that you should get bonus points for casualties. You already get a massive boost to winning the game by causing a lot. It feels like double counting the reward.

Either way was still an excellent weekend. I am definitely fouling the shit out of puggy next time someone takes the little rat.

Reason: ''
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Blood Bowl isn't a spectator sport (at least in this format), so not that. :wink:

In a tournament, winning takes primacy surely? This isn't school sports day where everyone is a special flower. We have hashed this out many times in the past, but secondary tallies such as casualties and even touchdowns are in no way reflective of how well you played, in fact quite the opposite. Someone who beats a new coach / stunties / gets lucky and wins 3-0 has not achieved a greater feat than someone who beats Jimjimany's Wood Elves with his Dwarfs 2-1. The mechanics of Blood Bowl and particular that match-up do not support the Dwarfs putting it in early and trying for a 3-1 win, and any pursuit of such is entirely artificial. The game is random enough without trying to glean objective truths from subjective scorelines. The pure result is as far as we can boil it down without removing all information, and so that is the baseline I have ended up using for 'optimal'.

Let's be honest, nobody is disappointed when they 'only' win 1-0, and they are disappointed when they put the ball in early and end up drawing. I appreciate your effort to play Devil's Advocate as ever, and I could copy and paste a thousand ways this discussion has been played out before. But if you are really interested we can discuss it on the way to Dungeonbowl. :)

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Be4ch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Be4ch »

howlinggriffon wrote:Here's how it would have been if the tournament had been a 2/1/0 with tournament score and opponents score being the tiebreakers.

Changes would have been :

Podfrey would have come 2nd
Merrick would have been Best Comeback
Whiffing would have been last (would have given spoon to Grimthorn as Whiffing got Most Cas)
I like that one, Darren. Can we just pretend that's what happened :P That's the table I'll be showing people at work when I say how well I did......

howlinggriffon
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by howlinggriffon »

Be4ch wrote:That's the table I'll be showing people at work when I say how well I did......
You're a braver man than me :) My boss pointed and laughed when I answered his question about what I was did this weekend. I won't be telling work people about my hobby again.

Apparently people who work in IT aren't allowed to be geeks anymore? When did that happen?

J_Bone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by J_Bone »

Be4ch wrote:I like that one, Darren. Can we just pretend that's what happened :P That's the table I'll be showing people at work when I say how well I did......
No. We're using the real one. The one where I finished above you.

Yours sincerely,

Your nemesis :evil:

The brains behind the Double Skulls Podcast http://doubleskulls.libsyn.com/

Beardman.
Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

I had fun in retrospect, as is often the case. Sorry to all for providing the cabaret but particularly to my opponents who were all gentlemen and beat me fair and square despite my moaning. You all made me roll those dice, I chose to fail them.

See you next year but might stay over as five hours of driving and six games of bloodbowl left me wrung out.

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
hissa-lives
Veteran
Veteran

Post by hissa-lives »

howlinggriffon wrote:
Be4ch wrote:That's the table I'll be showing people at work when I say how well I did......
You're a braver man than me :) My boss pointed and laughed when I answered his question about what I was did this weekend. I won't be telling work people about my hobby again.

Apparently people who work in IT aren't allowed to be geeks anymore? When did that happen?
Yeah pretty much always, if you're not geeky about computers or video games you get looked at funny.
People expect my place to be all high tech and home server etc. I still have old school TV and turn the broadband off every day!
Sounds like fun was had, am hoping to make one of these soon

Be4ch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Be4ch »

J_Bone wrote:
Be4ch wrote:I like that one, Darren. Can we just pretend that's what happened :P That's the table I'll be showing people at work when I say how well I did......
No. We're using the real one. The one where I finished above you.

Yours sincerely,

Your nemesis :evil:
Finished above me on points but below me on results, moral standing, dress sense, intelligence and attractiveness...........

I'll just leave this here.....

:wink:

J_Bone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by J_Bone »

I can wait. Luck runs out... 8)

Beardman.
Be4ch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Be4ch »

J_Bone wrote:I can wait. Luck runs out... 8)
Your luck runs out every time you draw me....... :twisted:

J_Bone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by J_Bone »

Be4ch wrote:
J_Bone wrote:I can wait. Luck runs out... 8)
Your luck runs out every time you draw me....... :twisted:

I think the one thing we can agree on is that we're both rubbish at smack talk.

Beardman.
howlinggriffon

Post by howlinggriffon »

There is a certain Monkey Island quality to it.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

I am rubber, you are glue!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
20phoenix
Super Star
Super Star

Post by 20phoenix »

I think people need to understand that just because Sann is president doesn't mean they have to let him win ;)

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Just because 20phoenix starts with a 2 doesn't mean he has to come second :D

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler