Bunker Bowl V - 12th + 13th March 2016 - Colchester, Essex

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Wulfyn
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Bunker Bowl V - 12th + 13th March 2016 - Colchester, Ess

Post by Wulfyn »

Thanks for a great weekend Darren, was tip top! 5 quality opponents and Wishwellingtons at the end. For posterity I won that game Wish and I don't care what the stats say! :)

Reason: ''
Wilf
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Wilf »

Excellent event again Darren, thanks for organising. Great to see such a big attendance this time and the prizes on offer were superb as usual.

Like beer and Blood Bowl? Then the STABB Cup is for you!
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

howlinggriffon wrote:Same goes for the TV allowance for different tiers - I came up with that idea to stop it being all Tier 1 team like last year but the dominant teams this time were Dwarfs, Necromantic and Norse. Another tweak necessary for sure.
That is one of the ironies of all tiering systems unfortunately, they don't increase racial diversity they just encourage people to take a different 'same' 3-4 races. That is almost by definition impossible to avoid, as whatever you do there will always be one race in each tier that stands out as more efficient than its counterparts. Just look at the number of Necromantic teams at the World Cup for example. So what I am trying to say I guess, is please don't lose any sleep over it! :D Glad everyone had fun.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

Michael could you email me the score file please (for Golden Gauntlet)?

Cheers
B

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
J_Bone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by J_Bone »

Joemanji wrote:...they don't increase racial diversity they just encourage people to take a different 'same' 3-4 races
Yeah, this is how I was thinking about it too. I think that is near impossible to avoid. I think the main reason for those races being chosen is that a tournament where you start with no skills (which I LOVE by the way) will always encourage Dwarves and Norse as they start with so much Block.

As for the bonus points, I am with Yogi on it... I enjoy striving for that 3rd TD in order to push me to the max points. Perhaps to avoid it being an issue on the final standings a win or draw should just give more points? Surely if a win was 20 points and a draw was 10 then an extra 6 points per match wouldn't royally screw anyone?

The brains behind the Double Skulls Podcast http://doubleskulls.libsyn.com/

Beardman.
Sandwich
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Sandwich »

Wow, complaining about bonus points when there are whole topics elsewhere to discuss it. Classy.

Back on topic: great fun event, 5 fun games :P and Sam :evil:. Was pitch cleared at least twice on my way to 27 casualties against but still managed to almost get Most TDs. Finished on 3-0-3 and middle of the pack, can't really complain...

From a quick look at the list of winners:
Most Cas: caused 8 against me (I love goblins.... so much fun :P)
Most TDs: scored 5 against me, finished 1 ahead of me (and yeah yeah, could've been 6, whatever :wink:)
Best Comeback: beat me in game 6 (was pretty much over by turn 2)
Can I claim an assist for these?? :lol:

Thanks to Darren for running it and hope to be back again next time!

Stunty Cup: NAFC 2014, WISB IV
Most TDs: Cambridge Doubles 2011, Carrot Crunch VI, Boudica Bowl
Wooden Spoon: STABB Cup 2
howlinggriffon
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by howlinggriffon »

As I've got the Score file on my PC, I'm going to see how the results would have been affected by using a 2/1/0 and SoS. I am happy to adjust rules for next time - whether it's a complete change or just making the bonus points have less effect by scoring higher for W/D/L.

I'm glad everyone had fun though!

Be4ch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Be4ch »

howlinggriffon wrote:As I've got the Score file on my PC, I'm going to see how the results would have been affected by using a 2/1/0 and SoS. I am happy to adjust rules for next time - whether it's a complete change or just making the bonus points have less effect by scoring higher for W/D/L.

I'm glad everyone had fun though!
I look foward to seeing this as from a purely selfish standpoint I finished on 3-2-1 but drew with the winner, beat second place, beat 4th place (Stunty Cup winner) and only lost to Podfrey who came third yet with bonus point allocation finished 3 place below someone with a 3-1-2 record. As has been said, I knew the rules before turning up so I'm not complaining (much :D ) but it did sting a little (Shakes fist at JBone)......

I should also say that I had a great time. The hotel and the Friday/Saturday nights drinking in the bar was fun. The tournament was a lot of fun and it was nice to play a few people - even playing Podfrey who gave me a lesson in Amazon Blood Bowl. It was as painful as I had expected. Cheers again, Darren.

howlinggriffon

Post by howlinggriffon »

Here's how it would have been if the tournament had been a 2/1/0 with tournament score and opponents score being the tiebreakers.

Changes would have been :

Podfrey would have come 2nd
Merrick would have been Best Comeback
Whiffing would have been last (would have given spoon to Grimthorn as Whiffing got Most Cas)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

yogi wrote:i have to say i enjoyed having the extra points system as it makes you push harder for the biggest win. 90% of players stall to get the "safe" win in BB if it's going well, myself included. this tourney really pushes you and that changed my game play which i found very fun as i was always thinking about the next td!
JBone wrote:As for the bonus points, I am with Yogi on it... I enjoy striving for that 3rd TD in order to push me to the max points. Perhaps to avoid it being an issue on the final standings a win or draw should just give more points? Surely if a win was 20 points and a draw was 10 then an extra 6 points per match wouldn't royally screw anyone?
I love these comments, exactly the kind of thing that is great to hear. People just honestly saying they prefer rules that reward these kinds of games to playing 'optimally' or whatever you want to call it. Nobody can argue with this, and if the majority want it then awesome! :D I'd just like us to know what our rulesets imply and make conscious decisions about which ones to use. If everyone else likes something I don't then tough luck me, and rightly so. Just so long as we are honest about it. I'm sorry this ended up in Darren's tournament thread, no reflection on him.

howlinggriffon

Post by howlinggriffon »

No - it's a good place to talk about it as it's a great example of the pros and cons of both options.

My scoring system was the old Carrot Crunch set as Rodders and I did a joint tourney for Bunker Bowl last year and I used them again without thinking for this year. As ever on these tournaments, it's learning experience for me. I want people to have fun and have a fair tournament too.

Nippy Longskar
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Nippy Longskar »

Thanks Darren for a really fun and well-run tourney. I had a great time and it was really good to put faces to names and play four guys I'd not played before, as well as great games vs. Val and Lycos. Cheers all and I hope to be back next year :)

That's huge
Hobnail
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hobnail »

Gratz on what looks like a top event Darren - really need to find an excuse to visit one year.

As far as the bonus points discussion goes, I think its great to have such variety between tournaments as it will naturally stretch a coach depending on the event they choose. Its good to be challenged. Bonus points on offer can even change the results of individual games when coaches "strive for maximum points" - I refer joe to the entirely unjustified equaliser I scored against him at last years Gertbowl when he really ought to have won 3-1.
I personally love the variety on offer :)

PS @ Darren - can you come up with a scoring system that means the goblins won? ;)

Winner - Caerdydd Cup (2019)
Most TD - Exiles (20)(2015), Exebowl (10)(2017)
Stunty Cup - Welsh Open (2016,2019), Exiles (2016), CakeBowl (2019), GertBowl (2019)

SWTC Stunty Champion 2016, 2019
Most Casualties - Elflympics (27(net 25))(2017)
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Hobnail wrote:I refer joe to the entirely unjustified equaliser I scored against him at last years Gertbowl when he really ought to have won 3-1.
I had managed to forget that incident! Now having flashbacks. :D :o :D

Sandwich
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Sandwich »

Hobnail wrote:PS @ Darren - can you come up with a scoring system that means the goblins won? ;)
They did win! Whiffing got Most Casualties, and Flossy got Stunty Cup. What other prizes are worth winning? What other race can boast that 100% of the entrants got prizes?? :lol:

Stunty Cup: NAFC 2014, WISB IV
Most TDs: Cambridge Doubles 2011, Carrot Crunch VI, Boudica Bowl
Wooden Spoon: STABB Cup 2