Gen Con US Blood Bowl tournament July 25-26th 2003

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Thrud
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Thrud »

No problem Galak, but doesn't this mean that he should have costed 190 instead of 180 in the 3rd/4th editions?

Reason: ''
WHO SAID MY NAME!?!
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Thrud wrote:No problem Galak, but doesn't this mean that he should have costed 190 instead of 180 in the 3rd/4th editions?
Well yes and no.

Remember the stars were made a long time ago ... the formula has been tweaked a bit since then.

4 of the points in the 29 were not in the original formula:
Block + Dodge didn't used to be worth a point
ST 4+ and AG 4+ didn't used to be worth a point
Block was only 2 not 3 points
and Regeneration was only 2 not 3 points.

These means that in the original formula that Luthor was 25 points or 175k which was rounded up to 180k for the original 3rd edition.

However, the above gives you a more accurate picture of his worth. So for the old formula Luthor was 25 points ... now he's 29. Which like I said means he's still a good deal for some at 260k.

Galak

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

I'm still getting them organized and a lot of folks are still supposed to send me more pics, but here are the ones that I was able to grab at the tournament between rules questions and figuring out the next round.

If you have any questions, just tell me the JPG name and I'll try to tell you what I know about it.

http://www.midgardbb.com/GenCon/2003/

Galak

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Ok, you're probably not the best person to ask, but what's written on the pitch?

http://www.midgardbb.com/GenCon/2003/BestPitch3.jpg

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Xtreme
Mr. Zlurpee

Post by Xtreme »

I belive it was "Here lies Zippy Hands"

ImageImage
Xtreme
Mr. Zlurpee

Post by Xtreme »

Look it's me and my boys in our 3-4-4.

http://www.midgardbb.com/GenCon/2003/Xtreme.JPG

ImageImage
Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

Galak, just wondering where you got that fig that's one the top of the first place trophey?? Looks really cool and bloodbowlly (is that even a word?)..

GO STAMPEDERS!
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Torg wrote:Galak, just wondering where you got that fig that's one the top of the first place trophey?? Looks really cool and bloodbowlly (is that even a word?)..
The wonders of being a conversion nut, Torg.

That is a high school football trophy that I green stuffed to add shoulder pads, spikes, knuckledusters, knee pads, etc. Then I primed it, painted it Chainmail, lightly drybrushed it with Mithril Silver, and then applied a fairly heavy Black wash to. Then I came back in with Burnished Gold to the same spots that the 2nd place trophy did to make them look similar.

Galak

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Guys ... everyone has times in their lives when they go ... oh for the love of Pete you have to be kidding me.

I just had one of those today.

Chet and I were going through the GenCon results to try to decide if the system worked ... how to improve it ... etc, etc. etc. Chet is a great guy for looking a numbers similar to what I like to do.

In the process of looking over the numbers I realized that I had factored in the wrong number of drops when I double checked that everyone who had played had their Painting and Sportsmanship votes entered into the spreadsheet. I was off by one, which meant I missed the fact that one person's votes were never entered. I would like to mention at this point that I've reprogrammed the spreadsheet to seriously red flag if this happens again for next year.

The person whose sheet I missed was Jaylazer's (Jay Deckman). Who as Nuffle and Murphy would perdict had played one of the top 3 players. In fact Jay had played Wolfgang (aka Oakinava on TBB). Jay's combined Sportmanship and Painting points for Wolfgang were 12 points. Which means he won the GenCon Bowl with 241 points, Matt came in second with 231, and Ben in 3rd with 230.

At this point there is nothing I can do to erase the awards of the day. However, I have already contacted Wolfgang and trust me when I say that I'll make it right by Wolfgang ... in fact between the 3rd place finish and the stuff that I'll hook him up with, the overall effect will be pretty good.

Also when I write the article for BB Mag. I will make sure that Wolfgang is given proper credit.

Finally before someone like Tim mentions it. YES, Wolfgang had a 3 win - 1 loss record AND that loss was actually to Ben who with these new points he would have placed 1st over while Ben got 3rd. All I can say to that is that I have revised the system for next year because I realize that winning needed slightly more umph! in the scoring. The revised system that I'm currently looking at for GenCon 2004 would have Ben in 1st (301 points), Wolfgang 2nd (299), and Matt 3rd (287) with the same game data. As a sidenote, Khankill would get 4th under the new system (285) But that is all hindsight AND futuresight in the same paragraph .. sorry!

The bottom line here ... I screwed up. I'm making it public, and I'll make sure that my site and the BB Mag article mention the error as well. In addition, I'll make sure Wolfgang gets a Championship trophy of some type. It may not be as good as the real one, but it will be something for the mantle since for the rules of that tournament he was the winner of the day.

And me ... I'm going to now shot people who drop out of my tournaments which is what made me not realize that I was off by one on the Sportsman/Paint votes, and I'm going to make sure that next year the spreadsheet has several double checks so that this won't happen again.

I'll leave this humbling post with the thought that Wolfgang now joins the distinguished club of "robbed" coaches for major BB events.

Chet Z. for going undefeated, allowing no TDs against him, and only one player to cross the LOS with the ball the entire Resurrection tournament and not even placing in the top 3.

Geoff Porritt who would have won the Resurrection tournament if not for an error on his scoring sheet.

Now we get to add Wolfgang to the list ... I'm glad everyone is saying they had a great time. Sorry for this error on my part (going to hunt down and kill the drop players me thinks) ... and I look forward to trying again next year with a lot more idea of how to run a major BB event.

Galak

Thetian
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Thetian »

GalakStarscraper wrote:I'm still getting them organized and a lot of folks are still supposed to send me more pics, but here are the ones that I was able to grab at the tournament between rules questions and figuring out the next round.

If you have any questions, just tell me the JPG name and I'll try to tell you what I know about it.

Galak
Woot! That's my ogre in the humans.jpg picture. That picture must have been taken early in the game. He's still on the pitch AND standing upright. He spent the better part of the tourney in the CAS box. :pissed:

In a perfect world, T.S. Eliot would spell "toilets" backwards. But the the world is imperfect. Flawed. -Eric Idle
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

heh these things happen, just hope it doesn't happen to me, so well done wolfgang ;]

darthnoir
Star Player
Star Player

Post by darthnoir »

GalakStarscraper wrote:I had a lot of players ask that, Da Scum (ie for one doubles pick).

Hmmmmm ... that might make an interesting choice for folks.

After game 2, you get a choice.

Either one double roll skill/trait .... or ... two normal skills.
I guess I'll be the voice of descent here....

I personally prefer the 1 Skill per match rule to any sort of multiple skills/traits method. The main reason is simplicity. Most hardcore Blood Bowlers know rookie player stats by heart. Because if this, it is relatively easy to play swiftly with rookie teams, and during a tightly scheduled tournament, this is an absolute must.

In leagues that have long established teams the things that slow down matches the most are asking "What skills does that guy have again?" and complicated skill interactions.

In short, I'm all for keeping it simple for tournaments.

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Grumbledook wrote:you only have to talk to deathwing about being bitter with the res scoring cause i think he also won all his games and came a lot lower than he feels he deserved
Nah...I was cool with where I finished.

I was just bitter about LF coming 2nd! :D

Back on topic: Glad you guys had a great time, looks like a riot.

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
darthnoir
Star Player
Star Player

Post by darthnoir »

GalakStarscraper wrote:I'm still getting them organized and a lot of folks are still supposed to send me more pics, but here are the ones that I was able to grab at the tournament between rules questions and figuring out the next round.

Galak
As soon as I get back home (to the land of DSL) I'll be positng my Gencon/Chaos Cup pics (as well as my way overdue Blood Bowl 2003 pics)

Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

The bottom line here ... I screwed up.
It's bound to happen with such a large number of people, don't worry about it. Heck if it can happen at Res it can happen to anyone! ;)

The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/