Gen Con US Blood Bowl tournament July 25-26th 2003

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Re: Great Time at Gencon

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Joew767 wrote:He also filled me in on pbem BB.
My brother was very happy with his performance at GenCon. He took 11th place with a 3 win - 1 tie record. He blames my paint job for part of his downfall and the other for fouling on turn 8 of the 2nd half against Wolf (Best Sportsman) for his lack of Sportsmanship points ... :lol: I told him .. the real blame was that his Lizardmen couldn't hit and couldn't win by more than 1 TD.

Anyway the point of this is that Dennis has not played a non-pbem BB game of BB for the last 5 years (although he took 2nd in season 1 of the MBBL2 PBeM league). He loved breaking out the board and playing with his team (a early christmas present from me ... a painted 2000 Games Day limited edition Lizardman BB team).

He had a great time ... enjoyed playing against all his opponents and said you all are a good bunch of guys. .... now if I could just convince him to sign up for the NAF for his one tournament a year. ... oh by the way ... he agrees that the black NAF blocking dice are cursed. He tried rolling both my white and my black several times and decided on the white after failing to roll POWs on the black after several tries.

Galak

Reason: ''
wesleytj
Legend
Legend

Re: GenCon

Post by wesleytj »

GorTex wrote:Howdy,
I've just signed up with Talk BloodBowl, mainly because of the con. I've been foolishly just watching the mailing list and had thought BBowl enthusiasm had died out recently. I might even start playing online again (but then I've said that before).

Welcome to the board Cory!! (python)

Legend
Legend

Post by wesleytj »

GalakStarscraper wrote:So when I put it that way .... do you still think GenCon should be 5 games? Is the longer tournament to appeal to the 70% majority worth the risk in lower attendance because the other 30% might do other things at GenCon. Since I was once one of those folks several years ago, its why I think its a very real question to consider.

Galak
I think we could do 5 games ONLY if we play at least 4 on the first day. Go from like 8-8 or something. then have the final game the next day frmo 8-11 or so. Sure that's a marathon, and sure you're getting up early, but you still leave plenty of time for ppl to do other things. As has been hinted at, if the tourney takes up more time next year, I won't be in it. There's just too much going on to soak your whole weekend into 1 event.

Legend
Legend

Post by wesleytj »

GalakStarscraper wrote:
My brother was very happy with his performance at GenCon. He took 11th place with a 3 win - 1 tie record. He blames my paint job for part of his downfall and the other for fouling on turn 8 of the 2nd half against Wolf (Best Sportsman) for his lack of Sportsmanship points ... :lol: I told him .. the real blame was that his Lizardmen couldn't hit and couldn't win by more than 1 TD.
i hope that wasn't it. wolf was my first opponent and he fouled me a few times (he got the ref in the first half). Despite this AND the fact that he brought a team with a star player AND a rookie big guy, I gave him my #1 sportsman award. probably went a long way into his beating me out for best sportsman.

Why? because he was a very nice guy, a true gentleman, and a joy to play. I felt that overall it was my best game of the tourney, and was happy to walk away with a 2-2 draw. I felt it was truly the proper outcome, unlike my other draw in which I felt robbed after my opponent pulled out the miracle score in turn 8 with his norse. multiple dodges and a long pass with no rerolls, then more dodges into multiple tackle zones to score. NOOOO!!! :cry:

I hate losing that way. :)

Anyway I'm straying, point is fouling in and of itself is no reason to dog a guy's sportsmanship score. PARTICULARLY in this format when your dead guys come back anyway.

Rookie
Rookie

Post by tinywv »

wesleytj wrote: Anyway I'm straying, point is fouling in and of itself is no reason to dog a guy's sportsmanship score. PARTICULARLY in this format when your dead guys come back anyway.
I agree! With injuries and dead players coming back AND the fact that fouling is part of the fun of the game I don't count that against a player for sportsmanship points. I took Morg and in my last game my opponent had 7 guys lined up around him trying to take him out of the game. I thought it was hilarious! Not only was he unsuccessful at taking him out (but he did stay stunned for most of the second half) he lost two players to the ref. That is part of the game. We both laughed each time he rolled the dice to foul. There is no way I could have held that against him. It was tactical move on his part.

Now, if my orcs could just have scored while all that was going on! He was a great opponent and a great sport.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be - Douglas Adams

NAF # 2203
Dangerous Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Quick point on Stars

Under 3E, yes you could have Stars at a cheaper price. The difference between a tourney and a regular league is that:-

Stars take SPPs away from your players in a League meaning that they do hinder team development

Stars have less impact on a team as the team develops - but in a rookie team (ie as per a tournament) they have a huge impact

Hence I feel it is quite right to up the price. Personally given the inequality in choice between races I actually feel they shouldn't be allowed. However, upping the price is a reasonable compromise.

Dave

Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

Either one double roll skill/trait .... or ... two normal skills.

Now that would add some strategy to the tournament. Okay ... something more for me to ponder ... thanks for all the feedback guys.
Hrmm, I kinda like this idea. Galak I hope you are writing this all down ;)

The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Anthony_TBBF wrote:Hrmm, I kinda like this idea. Galak I hope you are writing this all down ;)
Okay ... many emails later, and yeah Anthony... I'm writing it down.

I'm pretty much set on this mentally for now for next year. I could budge, but this has been a major topic for me to think about since the tournament.

Code: Select all

1) Still 4 games.   When die hards like CyberHare and Wes say that 2 games on Saturday is too much, it means that you have to accept the limitations of the platform you are using to host the tournament (ie GenCon).   Also a 4 game day would run 10 am to 9 pm (just did the math ... that's just too much to ask of everyone ... cannot start it earlier because it took every piece of 8 am to 10 am to register everyone).   However, we will start Saturday at 9 am so that we can have awards finished by 12:30 pm instead of almost 2 pm.

2) 1,000,000.   The new Elf team will restore some Elven ability to compete in this environment.   Will it become official by GenCon 2004 ... unlikely, but that just one of those risks.   But Elves will be competitive some day in 1M tournaments again.

3) Star player rule will remain the same.

4) After the 2nd game, either 2 normal skills or one doubles roll skill/trait may be taken.

6) Same scoring system, but Painting will be reduced for its effect to the overall points and sportsmanship will be increased to cover the gap.  In addition, the base value for a tie will be 35 and a win 50.

7) Same trophies except dropping Best Pitch and adding in Best Tactician and Fewest TDs allowed
That is all for now. .... By the way if anyone who asked for the GenCon spreadsheet needs me to modify it to handle a 5 game tournament, please let me know and I'll work on it.

Galak

Thrud
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Thrud »

GalakStarscraper wrote: Don't believe me Thrud ... I'll take a wager with you that a team with a Star Player on it wins the Chaos Cup ... mainly because in that environment ... only the teams with the stars really excel ... (ie its the stars not the coaches that win the tournament).
Galak
Actually Galak I can't take this wager with you because the winning team at the Chaos Cup will have a star player. I know this because I am playing the same team I did for the GenCon Bowl and I will obviously walk away as champion. :D

By the way... I used that formula on that link you posted and I got 28 points for the Count. Did I do it wrong?

WHO SAID MY NAME!?!
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Thrud wrote:By the way... I used that formula on that link you posted and I got 28 points for the Count. Did I do it wrong?
No he's 28 points. Which means he's still a deal at 260k. I had originally discussed with Chet making a brand new price list for all the stars based on their true formula cost, but at the end we both agreed that the simplest way was Price+(Price over 100k). Its not perfect, but for the majority of the stars its pretty close.

The other good deal is Zug as he's 15 points but only costed 140k for GenCon.

Galak

jaylazer
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by jaylazer »

GalakStarscraper wrote:No he's 28 points.
How did you get 28 points? I keep getting 24 points.

Here's what I've got:
MA 6: 0
ST 5: (5-3)*3 = 6
having ST > 3 : 3
AG 4: (4-3)*2 = 2
having AG>3 and ST>3: 1
AV 9: 1
Block: 3
Dodge: 2
Block and Dodge: 1
Hypnotic Gaze: 2
Regeneration: 3

0+6+3+2+1+1+3+2+1+2+3= 24

What did I miss?

Jay
NAF number: 559
Thrud
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Thrud »

Actually jaylazer, I just recalculated it and got 29. I used your exact calculation. It looks like you forgot to start with 5 points as every player begins with 5 points before all of the other points are either added or subtracted.

WHO SAID MY NAME!?!
jaylazer
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by jaylazer »

Didn't see the start with 5 points part. :oops:

Now, where's that 1 point coming from?

Jay
NAF number: 559
Thrud
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Thrud »

I've done this calculation numerous times now and got 29 points everytime. The first time I calculated it I got 28 and am not sure why. I must have missed a point for something.

WHO SAID MY NAME!?!
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Thrud wrote:I've done this calculation numerous times now and got 29 points everytime. The first time I calculated it I got 28 and am not sure why. I must have missed a point for something.
Sorry ... thought you had added it up correctly without checking it out myself ... 29 is right. Sorry.

Galak